The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2018, 11:48 AM   #1
HighValleyRanch

My new EDC, Kahr PM9 NICE!

Just picked up my Kahr PM9 yesterday.
What a super nice size for carry. I can pocket carry, IWB, belly band, etc.
It's so small and light.

I took it down to the field and shot a dozen rounds of 9mm WW and Federal.
Very controllable recoil.

This one is the all black with night sights.
I think this is the one!

Since I already have a Kahr K40, I'm used to the "revolver like" trigger.
Needs a break in, so will be shooting a bunch in the next week or so.

Hope I don't run into a Kahr MK9. I would have to buy it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05634.JPG (178.6 KB, 703 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; October 24, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old October 24, 2018, 12:34 PM   #2
gw44

I have carried a PM 9 for 5yrs now, its a great gun !!!
Old October 24, 2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Dan-O

I carried a pm9 on and off for a decade. I have the stainless with nighties. My mk9 is a sweet package too.

I shoot thumbs forwards, and I take a dremel to the slide release on all my kahrs.
Old October 24, 2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Charlie98

I've got a CW9... I like it a lot, but not quite as much as my CW9's. It does serve a purpose, however, and I find I carry it more and more when I'm going out... it's smaller size just makes it that much easier to carry.

I will say, I really have to practice drawing the CM9 from the holster... just that missing 'inth of the grip makes it a bit more difficult to draw and present in a controlled manner.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 24, 2018, 04:56 PM   #5
glockman55

My PM 9 goes with me every day.. I have the PM 45 as well.. I love the black version.. kAHR 9.jpg

Last edited by glockman55; October 24, 2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old October 24, 2018, 06:20 PM   #6
MarkCO

Have 2 stainless PM9s, one with night sights. Great little pistols. In the FIST ultrathin IWB kydex holster, almost don't know it is there.
Old October 24, 2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

I think they are about as small as a 9mm can get and still be useful beyond arm’s reach.
Old October 24, 2018, 06:43 PM   #8
MarkCO

Only other I like in the size is my PM9. It is great, but has the NiB coated slide.
Old October 24, 2018, 08:10 PM   #9
JERRYS.

one of the best if not the best micro 9mm made.
Old October 24, 2018, 10:03 PM   #10
KyJim

I often carry a CM9 in a pocket holster. The long trigger pull doesn't bother me a bit because it is smooth. Congrats on your new EDC.
Old October 25, 2018, 11:10 AM   #11
HighValleyRanch

The "SLINGSHOT" issue?

The "SLINGSHOT" issue?
Is it overblown?

I have never had a problem with my used K40, so was not even aware of the issue until reading about the problem on the internet. So I assumed this was an issue with brand new Kahrs.

So there is alot of talk about not being able to "slingshot" the first round from the magazine into the chamber.
I know that Kahr recommends locking the slide back and using the slide release to chamber the round......
But that is probably lawyer talk.

With my brand new Kahr PM9, I had no issues chambering a dozen rounds (using a 9mm dummy round) from the magazine using an overhand rack. I just made sure to pull all the way to the rear and let it slam home. I cannot see how pulling the slide all the way to the rear is different than releasing the slide release. The force has to be the same as the distance of the slide coming forward is the same.

The only issue I see is if the user rides the the slide forward minimizing the forward motion, but being taught not to do that, I don't see any issues with racking the slide to chamber the first round.

Of course I always thought of slingshot method different than overhand release. The only pistol I "slingshot" is a Ruger Mark series as I find it hard to overhand rack the bolt.
Old October 25, 2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Charlie98

High Valley,

I've never really had a problem with either method, even though Kahr specifically states not to do it. I have fiddled with it and rode the slide forward and it will fail to go fully into battery about 50% of the time when you do that... so maybe that's what they are trying to have people avoid. Once in a blue moon, dropping the slide even with the slide catch, the slide will fail to go the last 1/8" or so into full battery... once it starts doing that, I just swap the recoil spring with a new one and no more problems. I think it's more that the cartridge is catching on the extractor... a quick bump to the rear of the slide puts it into battery... something easy to remedy at the range, but not so much at The Moment of Truth.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 25, 2018, 04:38 PM   #13
libiglou

when I had my cw9 I slingshot it all the time,actually its how I trained. Always went bang just be aggressive with it
Old October 25, 2018, 08:02 PM   #14
Akgeezer

A CM 9 has been my EDC for more years than I can remember. The fact that it is so easy to carry means you will carry! It is a great shooter and a reliable shooter. Enjoy your new partner!
Old October 25, 2018, 10:43 PM   #15
KyJim

When I bought my CM9 I did see some reports of issues using the sling shot method. I suspect it was user error, not cleanly releasing the slide and retarding forward momentum. I tried the sling shot method with no problems, but I mostly just use the slide release lever.
Old October 26, 2018, 12:04 PM   #16
gnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
The "SLINGSHOT" issue?
Is it overblown?

I have never had a problem with my used K40, so was not even aware of the issue until reading about the problem on the internet. So I assumed this was an issue with brand new Kahrs.

So there is alot of talk about not being able to "slingshot" the first round from the magazine into the chamber.
I know that Kahr recommends locking the slide back and using the slide release to chamber the round......
But that is probably lawyer talk.

With my brand new Kahr PM9, I had no issues chambering a dozen rounds (using a 9mm dummy round) from the magazine using an overhand rack. I just made sure to pull all the way to the rear and let it slam home. I cannot see how pulling the slide all the way to the rear is different than releasing the slide release. The force has to be the same as the distance of the slide coming forward is the same.

The only issue I see is if the user rides the the slide forward minimizing the forward motion, but being taught not to do that, I don't see any issues with racking the slide to chamber the first round.

Of course I always thought of slingshot method different than overhand release. The only pistol I "slingshot" is a Ruger Mark series as I find it hard to overhand rack the bolt.
Firstoff, the PM9 is a great carry gun especially in a well made leather pocket holster. I carried mine for years wearing lightweight wool dress pants.
The SLINGSHOT
My gun is around 9 years old so I do not know if Kahr has altered their followers but I followed the sanding advice in the link provided. All I did was remove the follower, wrap a piece of fine 400 grit sandpaper around a suitable dowel and slightly altered the shape of the follower. I did nothing to the top of the follower as pictured in the link, just slight sanding in the groove taking maybe a minute of total sanding time. I just lengthened the transition point. It worked perfectly for me and I now have the option of closing the slide as slowly as I want with no feeding issues at all. I have three mags and did them one at a time testing each before doing more sanding.
Go here for the sanding link

Aftermarket follower manufacturer that I know nothing about.

BTW, If you seek a really great IWB holster especially for AWIB check our Vedder Holsters.
Old October 27, 2018, 03:51 AM   #17
HistoryJunky

I recently sold my CM9. I actually liked it quite a bit but found the recoil to be more than I liked. As a result, I didn't shoot it as much as I should.

Racking the slide instead of releasing it can be an issue. I've never used any of the larger models, but on the CM9 the recoil spring is pretty tight. If you don't rack it with authority you're going to jam up the gun. Just make sure to pull the slide all the way back and let it fly.

I only sold the Kahr because I always wear jeans and a belt, and my G26 is not much bigger.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old October 27, 2018, 10:52 AM   #18
JERRYS.

Quote:
I only sold the Kahr because I always wear jeans and a belt, and my G26 is not much bigger.
I had the PM45 and did the same thing because it was sized very similar to my G26. my PM9 went on to someone else because I had my eye on something classic I wanted at the time....
Old October 27, 2018, 11:05 AM   #19
HighValleyRanch

To me, there is a huge difference in size between a Kahr PM9 and a glock 26!
Not even close.
Old October 27, 2018, 07:04 PM   #20
orionengnr

I have been carrying a Kahr PM9 for about ten years now.
Mine originally had the "barrel peening" issue. Kahr fixed it, and since then, I have been shooting it and carrying it. Especially after my third back surgery, at which point I quit carrying 1911s and S&W revolvers.

I have tried any number of other mini-and-micro 9s, and nothing achieves the Kahr's balance of size, weight, and shootability. When something better comes along, I'll probably switch. But that's going to take some monumental engineering.

Quote:
To me, there is a huge difference in size between a Kahr PM9 and a glock 26!
Not even close.
Truer words were never spoken. The difference in the two, on the hip or in the pocket, is night and day. Never mind in the hand...I have never found a double stack that didn't feel like a 2x4.
Old October 28, 2018, 08:17 AM   #21
dean1818

I had the CM9 and K40

Both were good guns

The follower design does need updated (If it hasnt already been done)

I was never able to get accurate double taps, and I never got comfortable with the slightly slower draw from a pocket so moved to M&Ps and IWB carry

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old October 28, 2018, 05:21 PM   #22
Seven High

The Kahr PM9 and CM9 are both great ccw pistols. The only downside to them is that they have a tendency to break the leg of the magazine follower during firing. The feed ramp was to blame. The factory will send a replacement but it doesn’t fix the underlying problem. Metal followers can be purchased which will stop it.
Old October 28, 2018, 05:36 PM   #23
HighValleyRanch

still waiting for Magguts to come out with their Kahr kits which should have metal followers.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:32 AM   #24
Fishbed77

Have owned a CM9 for years and carried it on an off through those years. Through that time, it's been accurate and perfectly reliable.

Honestly, there's nothing pistols like the Glock 43 and M&P Shield do that the PM9/CM9 haven't been doing just as well for years.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:55 AM   #25
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Have owned a CM9 for years and carried it on an off through those years. Through that time, it's been accurate and perfectly reliable.

Honestly, there's nothing pistols like the Glock 43 and M&P Shield do that the PM9/CM9 haven't been doing just as well for years.
It seems everyone and their brother want me to switch from what I prefer (PM9s and a PF9) to what they prefer. A buddy was adamant that the G43 was all that an a bag of chips, so I went to the range and we shot them in drills and such for an hour or so. He bought a CM9 last week.