The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 12, 2017, 06:50 PM   #1
jski

Best speed loader for a 7-shot S&W 686

I was looking at the Speed Beez and the HKS at $35.99 and 11.99, respectively.

Amazon is offering a Pelican case + Speed Beez loading block for $69.95.

Not to disparage any particular product but I intend this as a Christmas present and would like to get the "best".

Of course, spending more is no guarantee you're getting more.

Opinions? Thoughts?
Old November 12, 2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Buckeye!

I like speed strips ..
Old November 12, 2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

I have five of the HKS units for my 686+.

They're decent. I last used them about three weeks ago to requalify for my CCW. When I carry my 686+, I don't carry speedloaders. I'm comfortable with 7 rounds.
Old November 12, 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Speed Beez are based on the Dade design, retaining rounds with a circular spring.
Fast straight push loading but more likely to shed rounds if dropped.
Old November 12, 2017, 09:57 PM   #5
weblance

HKS loaders have been popular for many years, for a good reason. They are economical, well made, and they work.
Old November 12, 2017, 11:47 PM   #6
jski

Does anyone have experience with 5 Star Firearms.

Looks like a quality product.
Old November 12, 2017, 11:51 PM   #7
Jim Watson

No experience, but operationally it is a twist-knob type like HKS. All metal, though.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Scoits

Use the Star 8 round loaders and the HKs . Like both but the Star is high quality.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:30 AM   #9
NoSecondBest

I don't think it will make any difference unless you're one of the top rated shooters in the country. I shot team challenge for years and I used HKS speed loaders. My team and I almost always ran perfect scores in the handgun event. If you're got money to spend and simply want what is theoretically the best, get the Beez. I used a revolver three times in the precision event (when my semi-auto was back for rework) and ran it twice and one time only left one plate. That's with HKS loaders and that level of performance is pretty much unheard of with a revolver.
Old November 13, 2017, 08:54 AM   #10
UncleEd

Google

Revolverguy.com

He'll give you the answer on speed loaders.

Won't go wrong with HKS on the seven shooters.

Unfortunately, for those who like them, Safariland
doesn't make a seven shooter loader, only a six round
model.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:00 PM   #11
AzShooter

Have your 686+ converted to full moon clips from TK Custom and don't worry about speed loaders. You just send in your cylinder so you don't have to spend a lot on shipping. You will get it back in a week. No speed loader is as fast as a full moon clip.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:39 PM   #12
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest
I don't think it will make any difference unless you're one of the top rated shooters in the country.
Good point, but I'd open that up even more to say whether you compete or not, the speed loader you choose won't matter much if you don't practice your butt off. Likewise for moonclips. Neither speed loaders nor moonclips are fast - it's the nut behind the trigger that is (or is not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd
Unfortunately, for those who like them, Safariland
doesn't make a seven shooter loader, only a six round
model.
Safariland speedloaders are the push-release type, as are the Speed Beez. Personally, I think push-release speed loaders are preferable to the twist type, so my vote was/is for the Speed Beez. The 5Star? Never used them, but they simply look like HKS loaders with lots of bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter
Have your 686+ converted to full moon clips from TK Custom and don't worry about speed loaders.
Moons are great, but they have their compromises. They also work best with short fat semi-auto rounds, and much less so with long skinny rounds. Unless one is going to use .38 Short Colts in this 686+, I'm not sure moons would be any faster than speedloaders.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:43 PM   #13
smee78

Full moon clips in a long case can sometimes be a bit touchy, they are so much easier in a short stubby round like the 45acp. My 625 is easier than my 627 to load with moon clips.

Now as for speed loaders I stick with HKS or speed strips to load my revolver, the strips lay flat and dont make a big round bulge in my pocket unlike the HKS can do. I know your looking for a gift but like said, just because you spent more does not mean your getting a better product.
Old November 13, 2017, 03:41 PM   #14
Master Blaster

HKS all the way simple, reliable, they work. I tried the safariland push loaders I had two of them fail to retain the rounds after a couple months of daily carry and weekly practice. The push design is unreliable and prone to breakage and wear.
Old November 14, 2017, 06:49 PM   #15
dgludwig

I like HKS speed loaders because they are reliable, easy to use and affordable. Of course, the fact that I've used them for the last thirty years or so makes my opinion a little biased.

Quote:
I like speed strips ..
So-called "speed" strips are anything but speedy; an oxymoron if there ever was one when compared to any other conventional speed loader. They are easy to carry undetected and probably faster to use than a pocket full of loose rounds (maybe), but they are a long way from being "speedy".
Old November 14, 2017, 08:57 PM   #16
FairWarning

I've had perfectly good results with HKS for my 686P. Not inclined to pay 2X-3X for a different loader at this point when HKS works.
Old November 15, 2017, 12:26 AM   #17
L-2

For my various revolvers, I've bought and use HKS, SpeedBeez, 5Starfirearms, Safariland, and (Bianchi) speedstrips. As others have said, Safariland doesn't have a 7 rounder. I also will occasionally use/carry moon-clips for those revolvers which I have made for moon-clips.

If it was me receiving the gift, I'd be thrilled to receive either of the first three especially if I'd not owned them before.

The Speedbeez and 5starfirearms brands can be ordered/bought with those loading blocks which I find convenient at the range. These loading blocks can also be used with the HKS speedloaders, too, as the last time I looked, HKS didn't have loading blocks on the market.

Speedbeez
https://www.speedbeez.com/product-ca...-frame-7-shot/

5StarFirearms
http://www.5starfirearms.com/L7-357-...ries-s/133.htm

For actual carry, I'm usually using an HKS either in the pocket &/or clipped onto my belt using a Safariland clip holder.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:33 PM   #18
BigJimP

I use 5 Star loaders for the 8 shot S&W 627's....(they twist to release )...they are well made...but they are no quicker than the HKS brand.

I prefer the Jet/Safariland style that propels the rounds into the cylinder....over the twist style / and I think you've found the only one that propels the rounds into the cylinder ( Jet and Safariland do not make them for 7 round guns...or 8 round guns )...
Old November 18, 2017, 12:00 AM   #19
mauiglide

My vote is for HKS. I've been using them for years with my 686 Plus.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Old November 18, 2017, 09:47 PM   #20
Brian48

I just use the HKS ones. No issues. They're fine for my purposes.