The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Handgun sight moving tools

I've been looking into alternatives to the $100+ handgun sight moving tools and have found these two examples.

Here is a homemade one found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVObCaoF260

Also, here is a more technical tool available for a significantly lesser cost than other commercial tools:

http://www.sightpusher.com/

I haven't found too many reviews or comments on the aforementioned homemade tool on youtube.

A few comments have been made that the tool on the sightpusher site is good for removing factory sights but is somewhat problematic for installing new sights.

Has anyone here on TFL used one or both of these examples? Are there other examples/tools that you have found useful?

Thanks for your input.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:58 AM   #2
mrdaputer

What Pistol?
Old March 1, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Koda94

I have the sightpusher tool and it works great. Seems to be designed for many types of gun which is a bonus. Its a good tool that also allows fine tuning of the windage better than I imagine I could do with a hammer and brass punch. As you turn the wrench you get a feel for the amount of movement.

Couple of things to note.
Removal: I found the pusher block rotates too easily if your not careful the position you line it up with changes when force is applied until I reached the needed force to remove the old sight. It rotated enough to interfere with the slide which will damage the dovetail groove tips. Be certain to stop and check the alignment when the push/drive side of the old sight starts to exit the dovetail...

Installation: The universal design is an appeal, but be prepared to figure out your own bottom block shim. Mine didnt fit and not using it lets the tool rotate in use messing up your pusher block alignment, you dont want to overclamp the slide. The bottom shim block has to be exact. It might need to be machined down, or shimmed up a bit more. I also found it easier to start the installation with a brass punch, it was too difficult to keep the centerplane of the new sight in line with the centerplane of the dovetail groove until the sight could stand on its own.