The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1
thinktwice

Trade/Sell Old Colt for New Colt?

I have been thinking about trading/selling one of my original Series 70 Government Models (made in 1973) for a new Colt. I have 2 Series 70 Government Models that are in great condition. One is Satin Nickel and completely stock right down to the sights. The other is polished bright nickel ( I guess it's nickel but not sure) it is also 1973 or 72 however it has had some minor work done to it. Trigger job, throated barrel, polished feed ramp, and millet sights. I am not sure what either gun is worth, I inherited them both and really don't care for the finish on either. I would rather have a blued one. I am just thinking getting rid of one of them just to get a new Colt. My local gun shop that I deal with quite a bit said they will trade me even on either one on a new Colt. Are the newer Colts better quality, and just better in general than the older ones? The only reason I am considering this is I jut want a new one and don't really have the $$$ right now. Would you guys trade or sell for a new one?
Old May 7, 2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Quentin2

Well it would be cool to have a Colt made exactly 100 years after the first ones! And I'm also much more partial to blue over bright nickel so I'd probably trade that one over the all original in satin nickel finish (or stainless).

I bought a blue Series '70 back in 1976 and still carry it occasionally. Fine gun, always has been. A friend bought a Colt 1991 model and I was amazed how rough it was compared to my old one. But both gobble up ammo with no failures. Anyway you might want to look at the finish on the new Colt he's offering you before making a trade. The new ones are not better quality but they are good. They do have an extra firing pin safety.

Also, do your Series '70s still have the original collet bushing? I finally replaced mine this year with a standard bushing. Kept hearing how they break so put it aside before that happened.

Last edited by Quentin2; May 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:41 AM   #3
thinktwice

Yeah mine still has the original collet bushing, neither pistol has really been shot much. I might just take your advice and keep the stock pistol. Haven't decided what to do yet. Thanks
Old May 8, 2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Wildalaska

If some guy is willing to trade you even up for a new Colt, ditch the one with the Millet sights and jump on it. Thats a real winner for you

WilddoyouknowwhyAlaska ™©2002-2011