The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2017, 10:18 PM   #1
458winshooter

My long winter

Hunting season is just about to start and Thursday morning I was diagnosed and had surgery for a widow Maker. I have seen pro athletes get hurt and be gone for the season but this seems to hurt me more(for one I don't get paid millions)I was finally going to get back to the woods this fall.The depression from this as well as the feeling of helplessness is overwhelming.My only consolation is that it means so much to me that my family is talking about getting into hunting so I don't go alone anymore.Who knows god may work this in one of his mysterious ways for next season.Pray for me Russ.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:23 PM   #2
shootniron

Hang it there...it gets better.

Prayer sent for you.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:50 AM   #3
globemaster3

I'm sorry your season was ended before it started. Thankfully they found it before it did you in!

Let's look on the bright side! Although this season may be kaput, the fact they found it and corrected it means you will be around to enjoy next season (and a few more after that) and it sounds like the family may be lining up to go!

Short term loss, but it sounds like your longer term has just improved!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 31, 2017, 10:51 AM   #4
603Country

I missed a deer season back in the 80’s, due to a brain tumor (non-malignant). I hated to miss the season, but was later happy that the previous year had not been my last.

And I understand far too well what you mean about helplessness. It’s emotionally bad to need help to tear toilet paper, and to be physically able to do nothing. And my butt disappeared. But it finally came back, as did my strength. Don’t let it get you down. Look forward to being you again. It’ll happen. It just takes time.

I clearly remember when a really hot nurse came into my hospital room, toward the end of my stay there, and I felt a rush of sexual interest. A sure sign of healing. Too weak to flirt, but not too weak to want to flirt.

Check in from time to time and tell us how you are doing.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
jrothWA

I'm helping a friend that missing this Fall, I and another buddy, head-out and keep him posted on results.

Sometimes I get out fishing, from boat or bank.

The depression is minor, better than watch "roots" grow.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Feeling melancholy are yaw.
Sometimes we need to count our blessings before asking another for theirs.
I think this OP is ~ Blessed~ and he didn't know. >Until now.

Reason being:
Having that widow maker out of the woods where help was available is a HUGE better than having one in the woods when all alone.

My suggestion:
"Quit dwelling in the past and get to thinking what you need to get done today. After all Life is given and taken by Another. All we need to do?
enjoy the in-betweens."
Old November 1, 2017, 01:58 PM   #7
2damnold4this

I'm sorry for your troubles and hope you recover soon.
Old November 3, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
GeauxTide

I'm 4 months removed from Quad Bypass surgery. Missed all summer fishing, but I'm alive and thankful. Went fishing several times the past month and it's good to be back in the groove. Whatever you do, go to Cardiac Rehab to re-build your muscles and endurance. Prayer will be very important during this time. Get Dr. Kevin Elko's series on The Power of Resiliency - Things don't happen to us, they happen for us. If I fall, who I'm becoming will catch me. One other thing is recoil - it takes at least three months for the "chest crack" to heal. My left pectoral muscle is still numb, so I'll only shoot my 260 or Grendel this fall.