The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2014, 03:30 PM   #1
houdinii1212

looking into a mag pouch...

im looking for a decent quality double mag pouch. its going to be for personal use at the range, during training courses, maby carry. im not into any competitions so it dosnt have to be certified or regulation standard or whatever not sure if they have rules for things like that.

i was looking at the blade tech glock 9mm revolution double mag pouch ( http://shop.blade-tech.com/revolution-glock-p-224.html )and it looks pretty good especially for the 25 dollar price tag.

dose anyone have experience with this product or have an option for a better equivalent?
Old March 9, 2014, 03:57 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Brands, styles....

There are many top quality brands & designs for double magazine cases, for duty, range, open or concealed use.
5.11 Tactical, Blackhawk, Uncle Mikes, Blade-tech, COM Holsters, Galco, Alessi, Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Bianchi-intl, Tuff Products are all worth a look.

I like to use a covered type magazine holder to prevent dirt, dust, grit, lint, water, etc from damaging the pistol mag(s). It's a slower draw but Id take that trade-off to prevent any problems with spare magazines.
I've also had open top holders cause the mags to jab my side or scratch items(chairs, car interiors, etc).

Clyde
Old March 9, 2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Im wearing a blade-tech mag pouch now. Its part of my EDC. It was the "standard" for all the instructors where i used to teach, so i got real comfortabl with it. That translated into what i used to carry mags in Iraq and A-stan. Glock mags and a cpl M4 mags on the belt

Ive used and abused more of their gear then i care to admit to

I like it
Old March 9, 2014, 04:24 PM   #4
nemesiss45

I have used a lot of brands of duty gear, and the durability is what sells me. Of the brands ive used enough to make judgement on, in order of durability, I rate them as follows:

Bianchi
Blackhawk
Uncle mikes

I always like bianchi when I have the option

Edit: I do like uncle mikes holsters, but nothin else.... mostly because the belt loops are cheaply made
Old March 9, 2014, 10:06 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

+1....

I can see how a Unkle Mikes could "snap, crackle & pop" under duty conditions.
My single mag/folder knife pouch "gave up the ghost" after 16 years.
It was a Mirage magazine holder that had the polymer belt tab snap. The horizontal belt loops still function so it's not a total loss.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:16 PM   #6
newmexicocrawler

I use fobus... they work well
Old March 10, 2014, 08:59 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

My main problem with Fobus....

I'm not a big Fobus fan, mainly because of the odd rivet design of the magazine holder(s).
It might seem minor but the edges & bits look like they'd snag on clothes or items quickly.
They also might scratch & scuff things they contact.

I do like the single handcuff case but nothing else.
Old March 11, 2014, 08:39 PM   #8
papershotshells

I'm a big fan of 5.11 gear. I have several of their nylon mag pouches, both single and double, and I like them very much. They attach to a belt with what 5.11 calls a "slick stick system", which is basically a variation on the MOLLE system but maybe a bit quicker to attach or remove. I find them very easy to attach to my duty belt, a MOLLE tactical vest, backpack, etc.

All of my 5.11 gear seems to be of very high quality and well thought out design.

I am getting ready to order a 5.11 polymer double mag pouch for Glock mags for my duty belt to match my 5.11 thumbdrive holster. This polymer mag pouch is made by Bladetech for 5.11. I have owned (and still do) several Bladetech products and find them to be of excellent quality and design as well.

EDITED TO ADD: I just followed the link in the OP and that is the same Bladetech mag pouch that they make for 5.11. I found the 5.11 branded one for $20.00 online.

Bottom line, I HIGHLY recommend 5.11 or Bladetech mag pouches, they will serve you well for may years for carry, range use OR competition.

Papershotshells