The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #26
Scorch

Quote:
Actually…thank the 30-30…Winchester really DID get it right the first time
Yes, but the first time they used that case was for the .38-55. .32-40, .30-30, .25-35, and .375 Winchester are all derived from that case.

6.5-'06 is a wildcat version of the 256 Newton. You really should find some Newton cartridges.

And I agree, the .30 Government 1903 and 1906 are really descendents of the 8X57mm.

As you search through stuff, you will find oddballs:
* 236 Lee- the commercial version of the 6mm Lee Navy
* .30-30 Remington- only marked that way for one year, later called 30 Remington after Winchester's boys in pinstripe suits had a talk with Remington's boys in pinstripe.
* .30 American- a small-primer version of 30-30 Winchester brass.
* .30 US Army rimless- like it says, a rimless version of what we know as the 30-40 Krag/30 US Army.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:25 PM   #27
alaskabushman

I'll post more pictures in a bit, I keep getting compliments on my collection and I'm like "this is only a small chunk!" I'll be honest on the 6.5-06...I worked that up myself. Ran a 30-06 case up into a .260 die and called it good. I'm sure its slightly different than a true 6.5-06 but its close enough for my collection.
I have managed to build my collection for free. Based solely on the generosity of others who have collected firearms for longer than I have been alive and have seen some interesting things. My 8mm Nambu was given to me by a guy who's buddy brought it back after WWII as a souvenir. He just GAVE it o me, I'm sure I'll never run into another one of those. I got to dig through the "odd ammo" box of a guy who worked for CCI-Speer, I found a couple cool things that he found on the floor of the Factory... They never existed as a factory round but were prototypes. I'll post the coolest one next.

Last edited by alaskabushman; February 8, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #28
alaskabushman

This is that odd little number found on the floor at CCI. I married an Idaho girl from Lewiston which is where CCI-Speer is based. My Father-in-law is friends with this guy. Thats the connection anyway. It appears to be based on the .223 case blown out to take a .35 caliber bullet (or in this case shotshell) I'm not sure if its .355 or .357. Here its shown next to a 9mm CCI shotshell which is obviously what this round is based on. On the right is a .223. No its not a 9X40 Lahti, no its not a rimless .357 maximum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2348.resized.jpg (27.3 KB, 40 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 08:18 PM   #29
sgms

Here's a few from my collection, a batch of oddballs used for shrapnel testing armor the others a small collection of case-less 5.56 experimental.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php1UIwfRPM.jpg (43.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg phpU0KWMWPM.jpg (13.1 KB, 29 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #30
jonnyc

Here are some odd ones from my collection that I have in my Photobucket library:

Hmmmm.....also discovered that lots of the pics I had there have disappeared!
Old February 9, 2013, 12:20 AM   #31
alaskabushman

Bottle-necked Pistols!

This is a lineup of all my bottle-necked pistol cartridges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-BottleNecked Pistol.jpg (149.3 KB, 38 views)
Old February 9, 2013, 12:28 AM   #32
alaskabushman

Quote:
Yes, but the first time they used that case was for the .38-55. .32-40, .30-30, .25-35, and .375 Winchester are all derived from that case.
Yes, but the 38-55 was not originally smokeless, the 30-30 was. The .32 Winchester Special was also based on this case. The .303 Savage borrowed heavily from it as well.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:48 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

The .38-55 (1870s) and .32-40 (1880s) both were introduced by Ballard in that company's popular and successful series of high-end target rifles.

They remained primarily target cartridges until Winchester introduced the Model 1894 chambered for these two rounds. The smokeless .30-30 and .25-35 didn't debut in the 1894 until 1895, when Winchester was finally able to procure enough smokless powder to load sufficient quantities of ammunition.

Savage picked up both rounds for its Model 1899, which undoubtedly helped keep them alive through the transition to smokeless powder.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #34
SHR970

Did someone need a couple extra rimfires?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RF1.pdf (346.1 KB, 36 views)
Old February 9, 2013, 11:59 PM   #35
jeffreyulatan

This picture has helped me with my cartridge collection. i hope it helps other people, just print it out, and hang it.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/ammo/...comparison.jpg
Old February 10, 2013, 04:48 PM   #36
Gunplummer

Scorch, I actually had a couple of .256 Newton rounds that some guy brought me to look at. They went in the big Auction, but I am not sure that they were derived from the 30.06 anyway. I remember they were headstamped ".256 Newton" and might have been Remington production, but am not sure on that. I never really checked up on the history because nobody ever wanted one built.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Everything I have ever seen on the subject indicates that Charles Newton started with the .30-06 case, shortened it, trimmed and reformed the neck, and voila, there was the .256.

Old February 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

since I reload so many cartridges, I've got a collection by default ( I actually have several 100 odd balls more than just what I reload )

my retired machinist buddy has litterally many 1000's of oddball cartridges...

so how do you guys display yours ??? mine started out in 2 X 4's with holes drilled for the bases of the cartridge, but I've long since overgrown that set up... my collection, is now, litterally a pile built on top of those couple 2 X 4's...

my buddy mentioned above has his all in old machinist drawer cabinets, sorted out by caliber... my problem with "formally" collecting cartridges, is how to display them where they are easy to show off, in a system that is easy to grow as I collect new ones...

how about some pics of how you guys store & or display your collections ???
Old February 14, 2013, 02:49 AM   #39
50 shooter

ABM,
If you need a 50 BMG round for the collection and have something you want to trade, PM me and we can work something out.

50 Shooter
No time for rearranging.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:32 AM   #40
jonnyc

I stopped displaying my cartridge collection a long time ago, just not interesting to most folks. My headstamp variations are in ammo boxes and the different caliber variations are in flat Card-Ex drawers. I have a few neat cut-aways in framed glass boxes on the wall of my "bullet office", but that's about it. Much more interesting displays for the guys who collect big ordnance, but that presents other difficulties.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:06 AM   #41
Mike Irwin
Staff

"just not interesting to most folks"

Who gives a rat's rump about them. If they're interesting to you, you should display them and to hell with the CHUDs.

Old February 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Ambishot

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting your collection.

I'm relatively new to collecting calibers (started in 1999), and it is more of a passive hobby. I usually pick up brass whenever I'm out at a range and sometimes acquire brass and oddball cartridges through friends that know I collect.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question for everyone. In your experiences, what is the best way that you've found to identify old or uncommon head stamps on odd ball cartridges? ...other than a google search.

I've used such sites as http://cartridgecollectors.org before.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:42 PM   #43
jonnyc

There are a number of links on the IAA website that you might try, not to mention a pretty good book list. Join the Forum there and feel free to ask. Pics and measurements are very helpful.

Mike, I just have way too much to display. I can always root through the drawers for a thrill.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #44
Magnum Wheel Man

so no one has any pics of their cartridge collections ???

( I could take one of mine, but it would just look like a pile of brass & cartridges )

since I'm just finishing my walk in gun safe, I've been thinking of expanding on my "holes in the 2 X 4" process I started with... thought about having a dimensional 2" X 2" with radiused edges lining the walls ( that aren't covered in guns ) at or around eye level ( like the old fashioned plate rail in a farm house ) & line my cartridges by caliber around the room... I may actually have to go close to ceiling height, since I have a lower ceiling in my walk in gun safe, & I'm a taller guy... ( the rifle racks go to within 8" of the ceilings, so maybe just above them ) I could then locate & pull down anything someone might want to see...

thoughts ???
Old February 15, 2013, 11:50 PM   #45
SPEMack618

Yeah, all my 5.56mm brass with various headstamps and the few pieces of COMBLOC stuff I picked up are all in a pretty beat up ammo can at the moment.

My eventual plan is to align them in front of my books on the shelf once my sister moves out and I can reclaim my reloading/arms room/library
Old February 16, 2013, 09:36 AM   #46
Rifleman1776

I used to pick up unusual old ammo at gun shows. I now have a box full but none is sorted or labeled. Not really a collection, more of an accumulation. However, there may be some unique and rare items in there. My quandry is what to do with it. Like everything I hate to sell too cheap, there might be one real gem in the lot. I'm getting up in years, heck, I HAVE gotten up in years. I know they would go in the trash if my son cleans the house when I kick. What to do?
Old February 16, 2013, 10:02 AM   #47
Guv

I have over 200 different factory loaded cartridges, 348 SilverTip is probably my favorite, anyone seen Scorpion 38spl ammo? I think it's the original hand gun ammo with a "post" in the hollow point (Hydra Shock). I believe Federal bought the Scorpion, they look like a 148WC loaded upside down, with the post in the cavity.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:16 AM   #48
jonnyc

Rifleman1776, you will have to either spend a lot of time identifying and trying to price what you have (not easy), find a local collector to help you ID it all (not too many in Arkansas), or send the whole batch to an honest collector and work out a deal. Three or four decent group pics of the lot would be a help in deciding if it's worth any great effort.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #49
kilimanjaro

I'm not a collector per se, I suppose, but I do look for and buy neat-looking boxes of older cartridges, my requirements are a full box, and really nice condition of the box. Got about 40 boxes, ranging from old .22LR and a nice minty .22 Hornet, up to a Martini-Henry packet of 10 rounds from the Zulu War. Picked up a box of Remington 6.5mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer last month, that was kind of neat, and found some great African calibers last year in Kynoch and Winchester boxes. The military stuff is fun to pick up, got a French 7.5 box and some WWII pistol rounds from several countries. It'll make a nice display once I find a curio cabinet for it all.