The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 11:53 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Guns come in lots of colors. Blued (black) is the traditional color, and of course silver (nickel or stainless), but back in the 1890s, Winchester made color cased rifles, and Colt made the 1873 in color case.
The way you refer to "color cased" makes it appear that you think that was a finish option. It was not. And "color cased" was not the correct term, then or now. The term was, and is, "case hardened." Case hardening was, and is, a process of heat treating that hardened the surface of the metal rather than making it uniformly harder all the way through. The mottled, multi-color surface is simply a by-product of the case hardening process, and was not done as a desired "finish" at all.

What modern gun makers call "color case" finish is not a true case hardening process, which they don't need because their frames are hardened all the way through. Rather, it is a chemical (I believe) process that is a finish, intended to replicate the appearance of the case hardened firearms of days gone by. They have to call it "color case" because they can't honestly call it "case hardened" -- because it isn't case hardened.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:14 AM   #27
Shadi Khalil

I'm not big on the different colored guns. Charter makes there snubs in red, gold, blue and pink and they all look awful. Blued or stainless works for me.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:32 AM   #28
Sheriff Gotcha

I wouldn't mind some nice color options. More options are usually never a bad thing.

I was looking at Cerakote finishes for my guns before, but haven't given it any thought since.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:03 PM   #29
Mikey Idaho

For the slide I'd stick with blued/black/nickel, but for the frame I'm open to colors. I have a Beretta Nano and in a matter of minutes I change the whole lower polymer frame out for a total of 4 different colors that are offered right now on Beretta USAs site. Wanna get me a few like dark earth or OD green or pink if I'm trying to get a girlfriend into shooting haha.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old January 13, 2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Punisher_1

I think we're missing out on expanding firearms ownership by not having firearms in your favorite team colors and logos. Designer label firearms for the women with superstar signature models. It's an untapped market.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:30 PM   #31
Colorado308shooter

I'd love to have an XD with a desert camo frame, black slide.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #32
lamarw

It would not surprise me if Department of Defense was not already working on "chameleon" technology for various soldier gear to include weapons.

It would be neat to have a handgun changing colors to match its environment or background.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:00 PM   #33
rep1954

Well I guess I would want one to match each one of my outfits.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #34
Bob Wright

Aguilla Blanca said:
Quote:
What modern gun makers call "color case" finish is not a true case hardening process, which they don't need because their frames are hardened all the way through. Rather, it is a chemical (I believe) process that is a finish, intended to replicate the appearance of the case hardened firearms of days gone by. They have to call it "color case" because they can't honestly call it "case hardened" -- because it isn't case hardened.
Not quite true. The older Ruger Vaqueros were chemically colored. However Doug Turnbull, and I believe many others, use a heat induced process. Case hardening is indeed done on some of the Italian clones, as well as the Colt Single Action.

True case hardening leaves a dull gray looking finish, look at a file for example. Using bone, leather, or even cyanide adds the mottled colors during the heat process.

Ruger Blackhawks are hardened through, but I believe Turnbull's treatment also adds some surface hardness.
And, the trigger and hammer on some of my revolvers are case hardened to provide extended wear on mating surfaces.

The hammer and trigger on this Ruger have been case hardened, and I asked for the hammer sides to be polished bright:

This was don around 1989, and the sear surfaces show no sign of wear after over 19,000 rounds being fired.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; January 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #35
RamItOne

yeah you couldnt pay me....

I do like my P99QA, olive drab frame, black slide..

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #36
BerdanSS

Dag'gonit! Bob! I just got the drool bucket dumped before it over flowed from the last time, and there you go posting pictures of those black hawks again.

They never cease to amaze me...just beautiful.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:50 PM   #37
JWT

Blued or stainless is all I need. If I want to dress em up I'll do it with the grips.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:04 AM   #38
jmohme

I just got a gold Ruger 22/45.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:08 AM   #39
BerdanSS

Careful...this guy sees you with it he may mistake you for someone else