The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2011, 03:17 PM   #26
spacecoast

Watch Top Shot next week, they will be shooting from a moving Jeep, as well as while being lowered from a 165 foot tower on a line.
Old April 14, 2011, 05:57 PM   #27
WW2

Self Defense

Quote:
How would shooting from a moving vehicle fall under self defense?
Trying to excape from a car-jacking where the BG is hanging on and armed

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old April 14, 2011, 06:07 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
Right. That is a very good example of one way.

Contrary to many popular beliefs, you can shoot another person in the back in self defense, shoot them at over 21 feet or even 200 feet in self defense, and you can shoot another person in self defense from a moving vehicle.

All these things do not necessarily negate the bad person's intent, opportunity, and ability to do harm to you or a loved one, or even a stranger you know to be being crimiinally attacked in a manner you believe will cause significant bodily harm or death. If the bad person still has intent, opportunity, and ability, such as the bad person has a gun and is shooting at you, then according to many/most state laws you can defend yourself with lethal force. That does not mean it is a good idea or that it is the best idea, only that the legal criteria have likely been met (depending on your jurisdiction).

Maybe you wish to shoot a person who is also in other moving vehicle chasing you?
Old April 14, 2011, 10:23 PM   #29
freenokia

Quote:
Didn't they do that on top sniper?
Talking about when they shot from the helicopter with tracers -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjl6...otation_962284
Old April 14, 2011, 10:31 PM   #30
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj

You are moving, hopefully away from the threat.

I heard a guy tell another about shooting a running deer from the back of a truck while driving thru a field. I didnt belive him but to even think of this....
I about the self defense part, however, it's their dime and they want to train that way, let'em. Just be sure you know the shoot/don't laws in the area where you plan to do this.

As far as the deer, here in GA, you can get a crop depredation permit and kill deer just about any way you want. Silencers, night scopes, hell, probably 155mm artillery or claymores if you can get a permit for it...
Old April 15, 2011, 03:37 PM   #31
markj

Quote:

So a guy is armed and trying to get into the car? or is hanging onto the car while you are driving away?

Most car jacks here are you stop at the lite or leave the car running, the guy jumps in gun out and tells you to drive, so you would try to get out and shoot the guy?

I just dont see it.

In the defensive driving course I took in 81 there was no gun play only focus on driving and use the skills to get away. I belive frontsight teaches a course similiar to this.

Quote:
Contrary to many popular beliefs, you can shoot another person in the back in self defense, shoot them at over 21 feet or even 200 feet in self defense, and you can shoot another person in self defense from a moving vehicle.
Well you go ahead, if he is turned away from me that is leaving and how could he be a threat?

200 feet? rifle for SD and CCW? I wouldnt try this in any state cept texas.

from a moving vehicle? like a bank robber leaving a bank you are driving by and shoot the guy? Again I wouldnt try it here.

Do you write movie scripts too?
Old April 15, 2011, 04:12 PM   #32
Sleuth

Ah, if the outlaw is hanging on, then he/she/it is stationary relative to you in the car.

I certainly have no objection to folks learning how to do this, but the likelihood of ever needing this is someplace far to the right of the decimal point.

As to shooting someone in the back, this has come up where the outlaw is starting to turn away, or reacting to a prior hit (bending over, starting to spin) when hit again.

And rifles have a place in self defense, depending on ... your place (pun intended). I live way out in the country. Someone could decide rather than risk a home invasion, they will just snipe me from a distance, and then move in. I am prepared to shoot back - and yes, it has happened in the outback.

Last edited by Sleuth; April 15, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old April 15, 2011, 04:26 PM   #33
markj

Quote:
I live way out in the country. Someone could decide rather than risk a home invasion, they will just snipe me from a distance, and then move in. I am prepared to shoot back - and yes, it has happened in the outback.
I live out in the country too, but I never thought someone would snipe me I do keep a rifle out in the barn for varmints and a 45 in the barn coat I wear out to chore. but why would any bad guy robber dude have arifle and know how to use it long distance?

Guess I just dont have the imagination required to think up this stuff or maybe just too old and out of it as I dont watch tv or belive any form of media.
Old April 15, 2011, 04:44 PM   #34
Sleuth

Markj, I introduced right around 1,000 people to the Federal Criminal Justice system. 999 of them pled guilty or were found guilty in court. Some of them would like to get even for the 3 to 10 years they spent as guests of the U.S. Government, due to their illegal acts and my catching them. Funny how people remember things like that.

It's no imagination, it is a real potential for me. Last month I finally got clear of an incident where I arrested the bad guy in 1971 !

And as the narcoterrorists from Mexico move further into Arizona, we can expect more ranch takeovers like those in Mexico.
Old April 18, 2011, 04:40 PM   #35
markj

Quote:
I introduced right around 1,000 people to the Federal Criminal Justice system
Well thats a good start my Uncle was a county mounty for over 30 years he broke up a large hells angels drug ring late 60s. He was always ready for em but they never showed. Todays bad guys are different I think.

Dont have the same worries so I can see why border folks would train this way. Too bad too, should be a better way to handle these guys.