The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2016, 08:43 AM   #1
redlightrich

Pistol barrel and accuracy

Hello all, I have an advantage arms target kit, in which a portion of the slide moves, and the barrel stays "locked" in place, very similar to the way the SW Model 41 operates. This barrel is 4.25" or so. Is there any way for a Smith to make the barrel more accurate? My guess is they can work on the chamber part, but I am not sure if anything else can be done. I am considering buying the available rail and mount an optic if I can upgrade the barrel's accuracy. I know that Marvel, using this exact type system ( I believe that Marvel worked with AA and designed this kit or at least had input) claims 1.6" groups at 50yds, which would be fine for me.
I realize the cost probably sounds prohibitive to some, but in NJ conversion kits make sense based on paperwork.
Of course at a certain point, simply finding the proper Marvel kit makes more sense, but I am interested if there are any tricks that can be done to make this set up more accurate. Currently, my Kimber kit and my CZ Kit offer greater accuracy.

Thank you for any input you could offer

Rich
Old July 28, 2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I take it that this is a kit for a 1911?

If so, the accuracy comes from (1) the quality of the barrel, its rifling, and crown, (2) the fit of the barrel to the barrel bushing, and (3) the fit of the barrel linkage connecting it to the frame. The slides fit to the frame will only have a small amount sway in this, but the repeatability of accuracy is mostly from the quality of the first three mentioned.
Old July 28, 2016, 11:18 AM   #3
mavracer

How does it shoot now? What ammo have you tried? From everthing I've read on these they are already plenty accurate.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 28, 2016, 01:11 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...way for a Smith to make the barrel more accurate?..." No. Like Dixie Gunsmithing says, there are a bunch of variables involved. And no smithy can upgrade the quality of the steel or the rifling for any amount of money.
"...claims 1.6" groups at 50yds..." Isn't a good idea to believe marketing claims. If you read the fine print in 'em you'll find the guarantee applies when using very specific ammunition. Nobody can guarantee that all ammo fired by everybody will give wee tiny groups that a National Match winner would envy.
Optics do not improve accuracy. They just let you see the target better. A firearm that doesn't shoot well with irons will not shoot better because the shooter can see better.