The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Zzeke

Need Help Finding Remington 700 Date Code

Hello all,
I just bought a used Remington 700 ADL with a factory laminated stock, in .270win. I suspect the rifle was manufactured mid to late 80s. I "googled" how to date the rifle from the date code, which is two or three letters on the left side of the barrel, right next the the receiver. My problem is that there is NOTHING on my barrel in that location. Do I need to remove the stock to see these numbers? I do have the letters "REP" inside an oval on the RIGHT side of the barrel in that location. When they say left side, they are talking about the side opposite the bolt handle correct? What am I missing?
Old May 14, 2020, 04:57 PM   #2
10-96

Yes, you may have to take the stock off to see the date stamp. OR, there may not be a date stamp. Remington did away with the stamps between 8.9.1999 and 10.1.2001. So there was a short period where they got no stamps according to the Remington Society page.

Oh, and yes, they would be on the opposite side of the firearm as the bolt handle assuming you have a right handed rifle. Either way, if you shoulder the rifle, the left side will be on your left side.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 14, 2020, 06:56 PM   #3
jmr40

I've never seen one stamped so that the stock had to be removed. I suppose it's possible. Sometimes they are hard to read. If you can't find the code you can always call Remington with the SN.

Winston Churchill