The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2020, 11:14 AM   #26
Crankylove

Quote:
Hi-Powers hurt the web of my hand
I’ll take that Hi-Power off your hands.

I have small girly hands, and only have one Hi-Power, need more.
Old May 12, 2020, 02:08 PM   #27
Rifletom

Two: a friends Rem 660 in .350 Rem mag. Stout!
Also his .378 Wby. Brutle. That .350 tho, hate that thing!!
Old May 12, 2020, 03:09 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

I've got several of those light Remington carbines. Even the .308 lets you know you've "been kissed!" The .350 literally has to be experienced to be believed.

I've also got a Ruger No.3 in .45-70 that can launch a 350gr @ 2200fps!

And a Mauser in .458 Win Mag that goes about 8lbs. Not even fun with heavy loads.

But I'm not talking so much about heavy recoil in rifles where, hopefully you have a proper stock fit and do your part mounting the gun correctly, but more about instances where a gun has "bitten" you due to moving parts and position of yourself,

For example the Winchester 97 shotgun scares the crap out of me, though I haven't actually been bitten by one, (probably because it scares me and I take extra precautions). Have your thumb over the stock when the bolt (and its shape edges) comes back, and you could be sliced.

Getting "Weatherby eyebrow" because that "good cheek weld" was just a LITTLE too close...things like that.

Taking a hasty squat and having a rifle's recoil knock you ass over teakettle and down a hill doesn't count.

Depending on who makes them, I wear a size 8.5 or 9 glove. I've never been hammer bit by a High Power or a Govt Model. Might just be me...

I have had the sharp checkering of a new factory grip on a model 629 "cheese grater" my hand, including a very painful scrape where the butt pinched me between it and a sandbag (THAT one was MY fault).

Friend of mine was watching me shoot my 14" Contender .45-70, which has a red dot sight on the top. He asked to try it. He did a fine job locking his wrists, but didn't do so well with his elbows, and the sight hit him in the nose.

(he did hit the target!)

After the bleeding (and the laughter) stopped, he tried again, with much better results,
Old May 12, 2020, 03:41 PM   #29
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenmauser
Hi-Powers hurt the web of my hand, after a couple magazines.
I have never fired one. I heard about the hammer bite on these, so when one was offered to me I checked my grip while it was still empty. It was impossible for me to hold, point and pull without the skin from the web of my mitt riding up over the tiny tang and into the path of the hammer.

The first revolver I shot was a .38 snub nose. I didn't understand that I couldn't hold it the same way I hold a pistol. My thumb knuckle bled for perhaps 20 minutes. Not a design flaw in the firearm, but quite a surprise.
Old May 12, 2020, 04:57 PM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have small hands and can hold a semi-automatic pistol with thumb over thumbs w/out worrying about getting captain bars (twin track marks cut into your hand by the slide).

That said, when I was in Germany I was given a chance to fire a C96 Mauser with a shoulder stock. It was a later small ring hammer and not the earlier large ring/cone hammer version. Years of wanting to shoot one and I finally get to do it and in Germany too! Well, hammer bite every time. Talk about disappointing and un-fun experience. Thumb had to be held straight against the frame instead of over the stock.
Old May 12, 2020, 05:24 PM   #31
2wheelwander

I've had a few bite me but were my fault. One gun I have less than zero desire to ever shoot again is the AMT backup .380. Haven't shot it in a few decades and Dad just keeps it polished up now, but I remember that thing as just being obnoxious to shoot. Superb deep cover last ditch shoot your way out gun if you can find ammo it likes, but one gun I don't like.
Old May 12, 2020, 06:39 PM   #32
Brutus

I was always partial to the 30-06. Had the opportunity to shoot a 375H&H, thought it was kinda like a 12gauge, not to bad. Shot a 458 Winchester and that hurt but nothing ever hurt as much as my friends 300 Weatherby Mag.
think my shoulder was black and blue for a month.
Old May 13, 2020, 01:09 PM   #33
Logs

I had a Rock Island 1911 that really hurt to shoot. Hammer would come back and pinch the heck out of the webbing in my hand.

My Sig 230 also bites, but it is mostly recoil related. Not a very fun gun to shoot, but I think it just looks cool. Funny thing is that I use to have a similar sized Bersa and it shot great and was half the cost.
Old May 13, 2020, 01:17 PM   #34
10-96

Prior to firing, the 1903 and 03A3's feel awesome with the right thumb perched up over that straight stock. That thumb just sits so perfectly up under your right cheekbone right up until you pull the trigger. That'll teach a man brand new words right quick and in a hurry!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 13, 2020, 02:07 PM   #35
Doyle

Ruger SP101 with the factory grips - trigger guard would bite/rub my middle finger. Switching to the Hogue grips solved that.
Old May 13, 2020, 03:56 PM   #36
Crankylove

Worst Pistol I’ve ever shot, is my uncles j frame with hot 357’s.

Trigger guard has drawn blood from my trigger finger more than once. I don’t shoot it any more.

Got some scope bite a few times when I was young from my dads .300 winmag, but that was more from inexperience (and not listening to dad) than any fault of the gun/cartridge.

My dad used to have a .458 win mag, that he liked to load with heavy bullets and hot powder charges. Not sure why, cause he’d shoot one round, then hand it off to who ever was around, wanting them to shoot the rest. It was painful, to the shoulder, to the head, just all around unpleasant, you’d feel it for days afterward. Shot a few of those, and said no more.
Old May 13, 2020, 04:42 PM   #37
pete2

A 1911 with the small grip safety has on occasion bit me. Had the square trigger guard bite me(bad), Redhawk with some real nice Herritt grips draw blood. SKB O/U guns kick my face off. BUT the worst thing (because there is no fix for it) is my Glock 19, it eats my trigger finger, gonna have to sell it.
Old May 14, 2020, 05:05 AM   #38
Hal

PPk/s - slide left two little furrows on the back of my hand. Plus, the recoil was uncomfortably above what I expected.

S&W M66 "Snub nose" - using 158 grain full boogie magnums, the web of my hand took a bloody beating from the cylinder release. Pity - I had really wanted to like that gun.

H&R .58 black powder muzzleloader. Just out and out brutal. H&R took their single shot break action shotgun, stuck a rifled barrel on it & stuck in a breech plug with a nipple.
120 grains of FFG under a 500-grain Minnie ball defines a new level of intense for me. I only did that insanity about a half dozen times - maybe (probably..) less than that.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:45 PM   #39
stinkeypete

Like everyone I’ve been knuckle-banged by a dragoon triggered Ruger Blackhawk from not minding my hand position.

The only time I have ever dropped a pistol came from a T/C Contender in .357 Maximum where I had installed that walnut grip with the rubber back strap. Under recoil, the gap between the rubber and walnut opened up and when it closed tight a good inch of the skin on my palm shoved in, only to be bit hard after recoil. Since it was single shot and I had no scope on it i had no qualms about dropping it in a grassy hummock to concentrate on hopping around while holding my hand and shouting creative strings of bad words. It really really hurt.

I had a huge blood blister just in front of the meat of my thumb and it ended my session to go get ice for my throbbing paw. I never used that grip again and never shot that .357 again without the mass of a scope on it to tame the wicked recoil.

Less glorious, I once shot the ramrod out of a Savage MLII smokeless powder muzzle loader and that left a huge bruise. Heaviest recoil I have ever felt. That was with a moderate deer hunting load of Lil Gun. The plastic ramrod was found turned in to a corkscrew stuck deep in a big tree. That’s the sort of mistake people make when cold and exhausted and guns are dangerous but I never thought I would make such a noob mistake. I did. Thankfully I didn’t blow up and I will make more mistakes but I doubt that mistake again (as I no longer shoot muzzle loaders and once doing it I learned to not be in such a hurry for a shot.)

That gun could shoot some real elephant gun loads but shooting the ramrod ... I wasn’t shooting rifle for a month.
Old May 14, 2020, 02:01 PM   #40
FITASC

One I will not shoot, (but hate to sell because it was a WWII bringback of my FIL) is a Beretta model 34 (dated 1943). The Slide Bite WILL rip your thumb after a few rounds
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 15, 2020, 03:47 PM   #41
rock185

I've shot more powerful rifles, but the one that "bites me",i.e., really beats my shoulder up with every shot, is my little .350 Mag. carbine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem. 660 .350 Mag. (640x397).jpg (105.3 KB, 22 views)
Old May 16, 2020, 05:55 AM   #42
armoredman

BREN 805. Very first round I somehow "forgot" it has a reciprocating charging handle handle. Smashed the bejinkies out of my left thumb...but I kept shooting it! Moved the charging handle to the right side and all was good as long as I could lug the beast. Loved shooting it, carrying, not so much.
CZ Scorpion, very first model pistol. The safety DUG into my hand badly every time I fired it. Took it home and cut the puppy right off with a hacksaw blade - ambi, so there was still a left side safety. THEN, then they came out with the left side "delete". Once the safety was modified it was an absolute joy to shoot, real pussycat.
Old May 16, 2020, 04:57 PM   #43
Atticus Thraxx

Norinco Model 213 in 9mm. Wants to flip out of my hand. Whoever designed those didn't want them shot.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old May 16, 2020, 09:13 PM   #44
Targa

S&W 642, couldn’t get rid of that gun fast enough.
Old May 18, 2020, 02:10 PM   #45
Skans

AMT 45 Back-up
Jennings J-22
FIE .25
Old May 18, 2020, 07:50 PM   #46
SHR970

Quote:
SO, what has bitten you, or caused pain when fired??
Pain is a toss up between a Stoger Coach Gun with 3" Buckshot and its plastic butt cap or my 375 RUM AWR ADL @ 8.2ish pounds with scope & rings pushing a 300 Gr. Hornady BTSP @ 2950 fps.

A slip on tamed the Stoger......only a velocity reduction tames the Remington.
Old May 18, 2020, 08:57 PM   #47
Armed_Chicagoan

P64 police pistol, barehanded the sharp edges bite into the web between your thumb and forefinger every shot. It's a shame too, because I really like that little pistol otherwise and shoot it well. Yes the DA trigger is so bad there's really no words to describe it but the SA trigger is awesome.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:29 PM   #48
doofus47

I don't know about "Garand Thumb," but I had a Hakim that bit me like a Doberman once.
Old May 19, 2020, 06:47 AM   #49
Doyle

Quote:
Yes the DA trigger is so bad there's really no words to describe it but the SA trigger is awesome.
Have you replaced the mainspring and recoil springs? I've had two. Changing the mainspring (lighter spring) made the DA pull very reasonable. Changing the recoil spring (stiffer spring) tamed some of the bite.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:19 AM   #50
RaySendero

Quote:
44 AMP asked:
SO, what has bitten you, or caused pain when fired??

Several 30-06s with steel butt plates.
A 9.3x62 with a steel butt plate.
A 458WM
and
A 50 Desert Eagle