The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2020, 11:07 AM   #1
jman841

Ruger LCP II vs. Sig P365 Easy of Carry

Hello,

Quick question, How much easier is it to carry the LCP II vs. the P365?

I am debating on which firearm to purchase to use for concealed carry and my primary concern is easy of carry/comfort in Florida weather.

What I like about the P365 is it's in 9mm and I have a ton of 9mm ammo due to having other firearms in 9mm, plus it seems more comfortable/fun/easy to shoot.

What I like about the LCP II is it's just about the smallest you can get for carry, but I don't own other firearms in .380 so I would need to stock up (Not easy to do right now).

Does anyone own both?

How much easier is the LCP II to carry vs. the P365.

Do you find yourself not carrying the P365 due to it's larger size/weight when you would carry the LCP II?

Thank you,

Jason
Old May 8, 2020, 11:52 AM   #2
mk70ss

I have both. The LCP is definitely smaller in height, weight, length, and probably thickness. But the the P365 is easier to shoot, has better sights, better trigger, and holds more ammo. Plus it is a 9mm as you said. The LCP will slip into a pocket much easier, but the P365 rides in a belt holster very well. You will forget it’s there. My LCP got put in the safe when we got Sig.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:06 PM   #3
stephen426

You should also consider the Springfield Hellcat. 11+1 with the flush mag and it comes with a 13 round mag. I bought an extra 13 round mag so I carry a total of 38 rounds.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Depends a lot on your preferred method of carry. Pocket carry, LCP, and similar by leaps and bounds.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 8, 2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Chipperman

I carry an LCP in a pocket holster and a 365 in an IWB.
In fact I’m carrying both as I type this.
IMO the 365 is a little too big for pocket and the LCP is a little too small for IWB
Old May 8, 2020, 02:44 PM   #6
jman841

Thanks for the responses.

So just to put some more context on this.

I have never concealed carried previously, even though I have been shooting for many years.

I am looking to start and want it to be as easy/painless as possible for the greatest likely hood that I do it on a daily basis and continue to do so into the future.

With that in mind, If you had to choose one of the two, would you recommend the LCP II or the P365/Hellcat?

As someone who is not experienced, I don't know what my preferred method of carry would be (Pocket vs. IAW), although, without experience, the sneaky pete holsters look really interesting.
Old May 8, 2020, 02:49 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

My pics:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho....php?p=6721033

I suggest the LCP gen2 over the II.

The II modifies the Kel Tec P3AT firing unit beyond what I feel is safe for a drop fire.

The LCP gen2 is also smaller than the LCP II.

The difference in carrying is massive.
Old May 8, 2020, 02:58 PM   #8
railroader

I pocket carry a lcp II. It is great for that. One thing about pocket carry if you are sitting down you can't get the gun out of your pocket until you stand up. Another thing is a lot small handguns may fit in your pocket but will hang up coming out if you have to draw in a hurry. I have a Kahr CM9 that does this. Something to think about. I personally like to iwb carry because of easier access sitting or standing.
Old May 8, 2020, 03:10 PM   #9
TailGator

Pocket carry is the easiest concealment, with a small enough pistol. You still need a pocket holster, though. IWB carry allows you to carry a larger pistol, but consideration needs to be given to a cover garment.

I live in Florida, too. There are lots of decent looking tail-out shirts available and no one gives them a second look. Some kind of undershirt makes the holster more comfortable. If you are going somewhere nicer than a tail-out shirt allows, a light sport coat makes a good cover garment.

I carry IWB six days a week in normal times, and pocket carry only when I anticipate removing my cover garment around other people. In my case, that is changing from jacket to robe in order to play piano at a church. That ain't happening right now for obvious reasons, so the pocket pistol has been out of the safe only a couple of times a month.
Old May 8, 2020, 03:18 PM   #10
MislMan

I live in Florida and pocket carry a LCP daily and everywhere. It easily fits into the front pocket of shorts. The thing I like most is that I can take off my shirt and walk along the beach without consideration for the LCP in my pocket. I do carry using a pocket holster
Old May 8, 2020, 03:40 PM   #11
jman841

Ok, thanks for the additional insight.

Here's my thought process today (At the moment both weapons are sold out so I still have time to consider. For better or worse hah).

I will go with the LCP to get comfortable with carrying daily as it seems to be significantly smaller and lighter (~13 oz loaded vs. ~24 oz loaded)

Once I am comfortable with this, I can look at the hellcat/P365.

Plus at $265 + tax, it's quite a bit of ammo and professional training I can pay for vs. $475 + tax for the P365.

Just not super excited to have to have another caliber on hand, I like to keep most my firearms in the same calibers.

If I am off in this thought process, please let me know what I'm missing. (Again, I am inexperienced when it comes to concealed carry)

Thank you!
Old May 8, 2020, 03:55 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Think about what it's for.

You don't need range level amounts of ammo.

Also, cases at home doesn't help your carry gun at home...until you're home.

It fills a void.
Old May 8, 2020, 04:08 PM   #13
jman841

Yea, the intent for this is concealed carry and learning concealed carry. With that said, I do believe it's important I train with my concealed carry firearm as much as possible, but most certainly not a home defense gun as I already have weapons for that role.
Old May 8, 2020, 04:35 PM   #14
CorvZ061

Why not look into something like a Taurus 856 ultra light? Msrp is in the higher $300’s but street price is much lower. 6 rounds of 38 special (similar power factor to 9mm) and very pocketable. I personally carry either a p365 or a Smith 360 in the pocket or both.
Old May 8, 2020, 04:54 PM   #15
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvZ061 View Post
Why not look into something like a Taurus 856 ultra light? Msrp is in the higher $300’s but street price is much lower. 6 rounds of 38 special (similar power factor to 9mm) and very pocketable. I personally carry either a p365 or a Smith 360 in the pocket or both.
If I am going to go the revolver route, I might as well just get the P365.

I compared the LCP II with the LCR and there's no comparison. The LCR is far larger.
Old May 8, 2020, 05:06 PM   #16
Drm50

I really like the SIG 365, haven’t owned one but shot one. I’ve owned 1/2 dozen Ruger LCPs
the family milks them out of me. I think for average person the LCP is it. Small enough to carry with ease, reasonably priced, durable & dependable. It’s a gun that can be carried everyday by habit. Many times bigger guns are left at home. It’s a personal choice so what I tell everyone who asks me is buy top shelf gun, Ruger & SIG are. If you are worried enough to carry gun it’s for SD not taking to a gunfight.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:00 PM   #17
Mosin44az

I live in Phoenix and pocket carry regularly. I own a 365 and two LCPs.

The LCP is unquestionably smaller and easier to carry, but I pocket carry the 365 easily enough, and I generally choose to carry it because of its greater power and longer effective range . Because of its greater weight, longer grip and probably other aspects of its design, the 365 is actually easier to shoot than the LCP, with less felt recoil in my experience.

I wouldn’t recommend either gun to an inexperienced shooter, but that’s not the case with you it sounds like. Both are the best guns for their respective sizes in my opinion, so you are on the right track in your search. I also think your idea to start with an LCP, and get the SIG later, is a good one, since you are new to pocket carry it makes sense to start with the gun that’s easier to carry in that mode. If you like the LCP you have saved hundreds. If you get the SIG later you haven’t wasted much money on the LCP.

I like both the Gen2 LCP and the LCP II. Both have much better triggers and sights than the original. If you go this route I would recommend putting mag bases with finger extensions on all your mags, as this notably helps control and cuts felt recoil. I recall Ruger inludes one of these with each pistol.

For the LCP I also strongly recommend getting one of the Hogue wraparound rubber grips, the model that requires you to drive out the rear frame pin and replace it with the longer one Hogue supplies, which “hooks” the grip in place and stops it from sliding around. Significant reduction in felt recoil.

Last edited by Mosin44az; May 8, 2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 9, 2020, 05:56 AM   #18
jman841

Thank you Mosin,

This is what I was looking for, a recommendation from someone who owns both as to which would be best to start with.

The LCP II is still out of stock at the moment, so my debate between the two will continue, but I do think it makes sense to start with the LCP II.

The only strong reason I keep thinking to go with the P365 is due to the shootability.

Since I want to put a lot of training time in with the weapon I will be carrying daily, as the chances of using it will be the highest of all the weapons I own, now that I am a civilian, I would hate to choose a firearm that makes me adverse to wanting to train with it.
Old May 9, 2020, 09:52 AM   #19
223 shooter

Quote:
Quick question, How much easier is it to carry the LCP II vs. the P365?
Owning both I find the LCP II far and away easier to carry at least in regards to pocket carry. A much smaller lighter pistol. I find the P365 compares more size-wise to my Glock 42 which is of course a 380. In the attchment the G42 is laying on top of the P365.

Quote:
I like both the Gen2 LCP and the LCP II. Both have much better triggers and sights than the original. If you go this route I would recommend putting mag bases with finger extensions on all your mags, as this notably helps control and cuts felt recoil. I recall Ruger inludes one of these with each pistol.
I wholeheartedly agree with using the provided mag finger extension. My first time firing it I did not use it and it was not easy to keep the pistol for shifting around in the hand even with a very , very firm grip. The mag extension made all the difference next time out although the pistol still requires a really firm grip.

The P365 I can shoot with the flush mag and there are no control issues. But for now it serves as a home defense pistol and the LCP II is the one that goes everywhere with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A G42 380 and P365 9mm.jpg (161.4 KB, 98 views)
Old May 9, 2020, 10:01 AM   #20
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 shooter View Post
Owning both I find the LCP II far and away easier to carry at least in regards to pocket carry. A much smaller lighter pistol. I find the P365 compares more size-wise to my Glock 42 which is of course a 380. In the attchment the G42 is laying on top of the P365.

I wholeheartedly agree with using the provided mag finger extension. My first time firing it I did not use it and it was not easy to keep the pistol for shifting around in the hand even with a very , very firm grip. The mag extension made all the difference next time out although the pistol still requires a really firm grip.

The P365 I can shoot with the flush mag and there are no control issues. But for now it serves as a home defense pistol and the LCP II is the one that goes everywhere with me.
Thanks for the insights.

What peaked my attention in particular is "But for now it serves as a home defense pistol and the LCP II is the one that goes everywhere with me."

Do you pocket carry the LCP II?

What makes the LCP much easier to carry vs. the Sig?

If you were to IWB carry, would the LCP still be much easier than the Sig?

Finally, I'm interested in the Sneaky Pete holsters as it looks like the easiest setup to simply throw on/off and also not have the barrel of the pistol pointed at me most of the day. The size difference between the Sig and LCP sneaky pete's dont seem huge, but the weight is probably the biggest difference.

How much does the extra weight of the Sig affect the carry ability vs. the weight of the LCP?

I also found this really interesting: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...s-ruger-lcp-ii
Old May 9, 2020, 10:13 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

Fella, in my photos you can see the P365 is huge compared to the LCP. And then the weight difference.

Sure, the Sig is the same size as the smallest 9mm CM9 with double the rounds. But the CM9 is also large for the pocket COMPARED to the LCP.

Here is my P3AT vs my CM9. Huge difference. Overall larger? no. Compared to? YES. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=589033

If you want a nightmare, you'll see in that same thread I started I compared my Diamondback DB9 9mm and to my LCP. Exact same size. Every dimension. Tiny 9mm. Same round count as the LCP. 9mm. Total crap gun though

You've got all the pieces you need to make the decision. The LCP is always smaller and weighs less. It will always, ALWAYS, be easier to carry than something even slightly bigger and heavier. There is no changing that.

Again, go LCP gen2, not LCP II. The II has drop safety concerns and is larger than the LCP gen2. Any improvements? not really.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 9, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:21 AM   #22
223 shooter

Quote:
Do you pocket carry the LCP II?

What makes the LCP much easier to carry vs. the Sig?

If you were to IWB carry, would the LCP still be much easier than the Sig?

How much does the extra weight of the Sig affect the carry ability vs. the weight of the LCP?
I do pocket carry the LCP II. The carry ease of the LCP II really comes down to it being a smaller and significantly lighter pistol.

Or to put it another way with the P365 in pocket you not only know its there you FEEL its there all the time. The LCP II is more like carrying my wallet.

Of course with the P365 you undeniably have a more powerful pistol with more rounds and some may also shoot it better. If there is a range that rents guns near you that would be worth doing.

As to IWB carry that is something I have no experience with and don't want to speculate.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:24 AM   #23
wild cat mccane

Good point. You can forget the LCP is there. You never forget the P365 is in your pocket.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:49 AM   #24
Carl the Floor Walker

I have the"

CM9 (2)
Nano (3)
LC9s
Smith 642
Ruger LCR9mm
CW380
P380
Beretta Pico (3)
LCP
Keltec P32

There is no question that Weight makes a HUGE difference. 95% it is one of the Pocket guns 380 and Smith 642, I carry. Most especially in the Summer. On the hottest of days the P32.

Just a matter of physics the Sig at around18 oz is not going to be as comfortable as a LCP at around 10 oz. and ammo has weight as well.Facter in any holster, and other crap you carry around. And in a pair of shorts?
Old May 9, 2020, 11:16 AM   #25
jman841

Cool,

Thanks guys, LCP it is.

Don't need another weapon for home defense nor do I want a dual role pistol. Sounds like the LCP is going to be the best option for EDC.

Thank you!