The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 20, 2020, 03:50 PM   #1
HisSoldier

Waiting on new revolver

I waited too long to fulfill an intch I had for a Uberti stainless target model 1858 Remington. After ordering it from Taylors I got an email stating it was back ordered and no time frame offered as to when it may be in.
I figured covid was to blame as Italy has been hard hit by it, and sure enough I found this today, two months old, but it seems to indicate that their shut down is far more grievous than ours has been.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...virus-69811062

"Unions in Italy have fought especially hard to have more sectors considered nonessential in order to protect workers."

Anyway, I hope I didn't break any rules posting this, it is related to most black powder shooting. I do hope Uberti and Pietta don't close down for good.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 21, 2020, 01:21 AM   #2
arcticap

This outfit has it listed as being in stock. --->>> https://www.ccsutlery.com/store/revo...ss-target.html

Last edited by arcticap; May 21, 2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old May 21, 2020, 04:21 PM   #3
AKexpat

I doubt that Pietta and Uberti will close down for good. IMO, there is a large demand for their products and will only increase as this situation continues. I checked the EMF website today and at least 50% of their offerings (Pietta) are temporarily out of stock. I found no site offering anything on sale (Cabela's, Dixie, Taylor's, Cimarron, S&S, Buffalo, Old South, etc.).

I have noticed that prices have skyrocketed recently on Ebay for Pietta parts.

Some folks like me are retired on SS with a small pension so don't have to worry (yet) about income, as small as it is. We got our stimulus checks in mid April, were/are well stocked with food & supplies, and I want to buy a BP revolver of a certain type, but it's not available.

If their few gunsmiths die from this virus, I am sure there are others in Italy to take their place. Both companies utilize CCC machining, so not much hand-fitting involved.

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old June 10, 2020, 07:25 PM   #4
HisSoldier

After three weeks I got an email from Taylor and co. The Italians came back to work, and yesterday another email saying there was an additional $12 tax for the china virus. They needed permission to add the extra to the original price.
I don't understand what the China virus has to do with anything but it's not that big a deal, irritating on the face of it since we haven't had even one case in our county.
But it's good news!
Thanks,
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old June 12, 2020, 04:09 PM   #5
AKexpat

Good to hear! 12 bucks is really nothing to fret about. I just think there will be no "sales" at places like Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works, etc. for a long time.

As an aside, there are a couple of wild rumors on two of BP forums that I frequent that have speculated that Confederate revolvers produced by Pietta (Griswold & Gunnison and LeMat) and Uberti (Leech & Rigdon) will no longer be available in the U.S. due to the current banning/removal of anything remotely considered racist (Confederate) by the PC crowd who are intent upon rewriting history. I am not from the South nor have I ever lived there, but this is just overkill to my mindset.

TFL has no options for an avatar under the username like most forums have. I like creating Confederate revolvers as the originals are rare and I like the history about them. This is my avatar on all of the forums I frequent. The revolvers are an 1862 J.H. Dance And Brothers .36 and a Rigdon & Ansley .36, with the Confederate battle flag.

It is all about history.

Regards,

Jim

To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; June 12, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 12, 2020, 11:18 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Yes, the replicas do tend to recreate a sense of history. I watched some civil war documentaries recently, it's not too hard to identify with those on either side of the conflict. I imagined loading two revolvers as last options before the battle, probably not much chance for a battlefield reload unless it was a siege.

When history is rewritten we lose the possibility of doing that, because we have nothing to tie us to true history and that is sad and wrong.

Who can tell if the pink pony and glittering unicorn set will not soon "imagine" (As lennon sang) a world in which guns don't exist and we lose our rights to all guns?
That other lennin said power comes through the barrel of a gun. Hmm, ironic.