The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 24, 2020, 05:47 PM   #1
musicmatty

New Henry tactical lever action

https://youtu.be/eD2NTvrgS4A

A video was just released today on YouTube featuring this rifle. Seems like a great idea to offer a tactical lever action when there are so many restrictions now on many other tactical assault weapons. It’s being offered in the hard-hitting 45–70 government round along with the other calibers listed below in the picture.

Last edited by musicmatty; January 25, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old January 24, 2020, 05:59 PM   #2
GarandTd

Are you familiar with the 464 SPX from Mossberg? This Henry is much better looking, but not nearly as tactical. My opinion based only on the picture...I haven't watched the video yet.

Last edited by GarandTd; January 25, 2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old January 24, 2020, 06:18 PM   #3
GarandTd

Didn't notice the M-Lok slots til I watched the video.

Imagine the irony of a Nation, reduced to straightwall caliber leverguns, that has to fight their tyrannical government with a heavy hitting round with the word "government" in it's name.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:18 AM   #4
kozak6

No tac rail on the receiver? No ghost ring?

The forend is neat. Beats Marlin's plain painted wood forend on their tactical model.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:30 AM   #5
Road_Clam

NOPE ! Sorry but i'm a Henry "purist". That variant is just too "Tacti-stupid" IMO , Henry should stay with "classic" and they do this very well currently.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Bfglowkey

The purpose of the tactical line seems to be mainly for that rail underneath which means lever action for home defense is again safer in terms of target identification with the light. Otherwise the classic needs little upgrading in terms of why folks love the Henry’s so much. I have a love affair with every rifle I have built so far but the passion for a classic lever action “as is” cannot be compared. Maybe it’s all those years as a kid growing up pretending I was cowboy riding shotgun on a stage coach fending off would be thieves and cutthroats.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:40 AM   #7
TBM900

I was happy to see RPP produce a railed/mlock fore-end for the 1894 and other Marils...
Until I saw that they plastered their logo all over it.
If they had simply used a nice texture/checkering, I would have bought several.
But I refuse to pay nearly $300 to advertise for them.
I loath when manufactures do such.

Old January 25, 2020, 01:07 PM   #8
Tony Z

Henry's forte is classic firearms. I will continue to support Henry through my purchases, but not by acquiring these sort of guns.
Old January 25, 2020, 01:17 PM   #9
cslinger

I’d imagine a 300 grain hollow Point moving around 1800fps would put the defense in home defense. .
Old January 25, 2020, 01:23 PM   #10
cslinger

Quote:
NOPE ! Sorry but i'm a Henry "purist". That variant is just too "Tacti-stupid" IMO , Henry should stay with "classic" and they do this very well currently
Why? They still build classic rifles why not add some variety for other buyers. I tend to agree that I like a classic lever gun but if it puts more viable choices into more legal hands I say rock on and bring on the tactical buffalo gun.
Old January 25, 2020, 02:38 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

The lever action is a 19th Century Assault rifle. Just ask the assorted natives of the Plains Nations.
However, putting that silly sight on it does not make it "Tactical". (That word being a marketing term only.) Anything that's 'tactical' requires velcro.
Old January 25, 2020, 03:36 PM   #12
musicmatty

Lever action is my personal choice for a rifle and I’m no stranger to lever actions. However, I’m new to Henry rifles and love my new side gate model.

I see no foul in making a lever action that can be equipped with special optics and laser lights and flashlights or whatever else that is targeted to those specific buyers. Why should Henry sit on the sidelines when everyone else is manufacturing these types of rifles?

It all comes down to the eyes of the beholder. Say what you want about all the tactical Nuances… But one thing that can’t be argued is that Henry makes one helleva rifle
Old January 25, 2020, 05:11 PM   #13
jmr40

Quote:
NOPE ! Sorry but i'm a Henry "purist". That variant is just too "Tacti-stupid" IMO , Henry should stay with "classic" and they do this very well currently.
Henry doesn't make a single "classic" lever action, this is why I won't buy one. Every single one of them strays from tradition. This is no less classic than anything else they make.

But I'm not interested. I can do a lot better for a lot less money.

Winston Churchill
Old January 25, 2020, 05:20 PM   #14
shafter

Make it too tactical and it will end up getting lever actions lumped into some future ban.
Old January 25, 2020, 05:44 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Sorry but i'm a Henry "purist".
Hahahaha! "Henry" and "purist" in the same sentence! Hahahahahaha!
Quote:
Henry's forte is classic firearms.
Hahahahaha! Please!! You guys are killing me! Hahahaha!
Quote:
Henry doesn't make a single "classic" lever action
Bingo!!

Went to the range last week with a Henry owner (44 Mag Big Boy). I brought my original 1892 and 1873 Winchesters. He was BAFFLED at how to load them!! When I showed him, he asked if that was a newer thing than the Henrys. I explained that the Henry was the aberration, not the Winchesters. He really liked the 1873 and the 1892, but he said he wanted more weight than that for the 44 Magnum (because it kicks so hard, you know). The 1873 is heavier than the Henry by a bit (we didn't weigh them, just by feel), just better balanced. By the end of the range session, he was digging on the 1873. The 1892 is pretty, just daintier than the Big Boy (silly me, whenever I hear Big Boy I think of hamburgers!!).

For those of us who ARE purists, Henrys look like a pimple on a prom queen. They are clunky, heavy, raspy rough, and gaudy. And now with plastic stocks!! But they do have a cool name!
Old January 25, 2020, 07:03 PM   #16
musicmatty

QUOTE[ For those of us who ARE purists, Henrys look like a pimple on a prom queen. They are clunky, heavy, raspy rough, and gaudy. And now with plastic stocks!! But they do have a cool name! ]

Wow.. That’s pretty harsh criticism and purely subjective. As a proud Winchester owner of both rifles and shotguns, I finally ventured out and climbed aboard the Henry train. You claim the Henry is clunky… Do you really own a model 94?

I own a few model 94s and love them but they are clunky. The new Henry side gate is not even close to being clunky. My new Henry is approximately a half a pound heavier then each of my model 94s ..so I don’t think that classifies it as a heavy rifle… Just heavier.

I’m not too stubborn or proud to admit that in my opinion the new Henry is a better quality rifle than all my 94s. And why not with today’s technology and machine work that will allow for tighter clearances and tolerances to produce something that’s much more precise. Also, there’s nothing raspy and rough about the action on this new Henry. It’s smoother than any lever action I’ve had my hands on. Please spare us all the tired arguments about the pre-64 model 94s.

I’m not going to debate this any further to go into a pissing match. However, as a Winchester owner and someone who does love my Winchesters very much, I do have something to crow about with this new Henry and proud to do it

1969 Winchester

Henry side gate

Last edited by musicmatty; January 25, 2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old January 25, 2020, 10:08 PM   #17
PatientWolf

I’d go for one, but would like a curly maple stock instead of the Tupperware.
Old January 25, 2020, 10:56 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Do you really own a model 94?
I own several 1894 rifles, the oldest made in 1895, the newest made in 1912. If the only 94 you have as a comparison is that "Centennial Commemorative", I can see why you might think a Henry is better. Henrys are essentially copies of Marlin lever actions, most of the parts interchange. I have customers who bought Henrys to replace their Marlins for hunting but have since gone back to their Marlins. But hey, your rifle, you choice. I won't argue about personal taste. My comments above were purely about Henrys and traditional lever actions.
Old January 25, 2020, 11:27 PM   #19
50 shooter

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that the whole tactical and lever action is stupid.

There is nothing tactical about a lever action rifle and it's just another stupid marketing tool some fan boy thought up.

One of these days the whole tacti-fool everything will go away, seems like it can't happen fast enough!
No time for rearranging.
Old January 25, 2020, 11:41 PM   #20
shurshot

I was just shooting my Henry .22 lever action carbine today... no, it's not an 1873 or a 92, (nor is it "Tactical"), but what a slick shooting little .22! Accurate, lightweight, fast, beautifully constructed wood and steel. Hard not to cherish an American made .22 lever action, even if it isn't "Traditional".
I have ZERO interest in the Tactical version... looks foolish to me
Old January 26, 2020, 04:06 AM   #21
kozak6

Seems like a "tactical" lever action is a reasonable alternative to a semiautomatic carbine in a ban state.
Old January 26, 2020, 10:45 AM   #22
TBM900

Interesting to note all the folks getting worked up and bent out of shape about a term...
That I have yet to find in any of Henry's advertising for the Big Boy X.

Oops
Old January 26, 2020, 10:54 AM   #23
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
Seems like a "tactical" lever action is a reasonable alternative to a semiautomatic carbine in a ban state.
If I were looking for my first firearm today, with all the looming 2A troubles...
I would likely invest in a 357 lever-gun and a companion revolver.

Even if I was forced to do so today, I wouldn't feel "under-gunned" in the slightest.
A lever-gun with an MRDS and WML is a devastatingly effective weapon in practiced hands.
Old January 26, 2020, 11:50 AM   #24
heyjoe

i think the threaded barrel would make it illegal in most of the ban states
Old January 28, 2020, 07:03 PM   #25
Targa

Good Lord no....just no!!!