The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 14, 2019, 09:15 PM   #1
BuckBerry

VX Freedom

Pretty darn well-spent $200 imo!
I just got a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 and the Freedom 3-9x40. Very pleased with the scope. I just did a light test with it against my VX3i as darkness fell. Both scopes transmitted light very very well. I literally could not tell the difference between the two. The ultimate test of a product is: would you buy it again? For me, that’s a simple YES! Lots of scope for the $
Old July 17, 2019, 01:38 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

Thanks for the report! I've been curious about their Freedom line, but skeptical with the low price point.
Old July 30, 2019, 12:51 PM   #3
MisterYuck

How do you like the rifle? My son has one and it shoots MOA with Hornady Black steel case SST rounds.
Old August 3, 2019, 10:58 PM   #4
bamaranger

close

I am very close to buying a Freedom 1.5-5x for on my AR carbine. Thanks for a positive report on the line.
Old August 4, 2019, 03:23 PM   #5
reynolds357

The freedoms are OK optically. To my eye, they leave a lot to be desired in low light. In high end optics, Leupold holds their own. IMHO Nikon kills Leupold on optical quality in the lower lines. Having said all that, I have switched most my rifles to Meopta.
Old August 4, 2019, 09:27 PM   #6
BuckBerry

Yuck,
For the price point, the rifle gets the job done. Fit and finish are basically mediocre. But I think when you consider a rifle of decent accuracy, a threaded muzzle, and an included pic rail, it’s a well-spent $450ish. Also, my brain is conditioned to use a tang-located safety. Most rifles I’ve had in my life are that way, so the Ruger Ranch fit in well. The appeal for me is to be able to practice like crazy with Tula ammo for super cheap. I shot 40 rounds this afternoon which cost me about $10.50. I was shooting decent groups at 100 yards on a steel plate.
Old August 4, 2019, 09:36 PM   #7
BuckBerry

TrueBlue,
I would expect that those who have owned high-end scopes ($1K+) may not be impressed with the Freedom. But, for a laaaarge percentage of average shooters and hunters, the Freedom will be hard to beat. Most average guys won’t see the need to break out an additional 3,4,500+ for something that gets more respect from the chat rooms. At the end of the day, it comes with a Leupold warranty....
Old August 4, 2019, 10:17 PM   #8
reynolds357

Buck, I wish I could find a $5 scope that gets it done in the low light. I hate spending money. To me, Vx Freedom just does not get it done in the low light.
Old August 5, 2019, 04:18 PM   #9
bamaranger

low light

I do not own a VX Freedom scope of any kind, though I am considering one at present. But I own a fairly large number of it's predecessors, mostly Vari-X-II's of assorted models, another fair representation of M8 fixed powers. All of those are bright enough for me to hunt with under any reasonable or legal circumstances. My lone Vari-X-III and an FX-2 do not seem to offer any appreciable difference afield.

It may help that my old Leupolds are mostly low powered by today's standards, the largest being a 3-9x40. It may also help that I am very fortunate to retain decent eyesight, though into my 60's.

If one wants to spend more money on a scope, so be it, I wish'em all the best, but the affordable Leupolds, even older used ones, are working for me. As the cost of my shooting goes up and up (like everybody else) I spend more on ammo and components than glass these days.
Old August 6, 2019, 09:50 PM   #10
reynolds357

Bamaranger, to my eyes, the Freedom is more equal to a VX1 than a VX3. The 2 is pretty good glass.