The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 30, 2014, 06:08 PM   #51
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, silencer technology has practically followed their own version of Moore's Law in the past few years. Current models are MUCH quieter and MUCH better built than just a decade ago, or less.

There's a real physical limit though. You can only contain all that pressure and gas to a certain extent as long as the silencer has to fit on the end of a gun that's still portable. I don't doubt that they'll continue to get better but I think new materials will need to be developed eventually or performance improvements will stall.
Old May 8, 2014, 06:07 PM   #52
Machineguntony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOTw...ature=youtu.be

Here is the same gun, same silencer, and same load, using same powder and bullet at an indoor range. Next time I will shoot it unsuppressed and then suppressed, as a comparison. It still sounds like a gun. This is before I found out about the baffle issue. The gun is much quieter now than in this video.

It's an HK 45CT.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:29 PM   #53
johnwilliamson062

Suppressor designs are very "in the box" currently. I think there is plenty of room for improvement. I will be working on something in the not too distant future. Production costs significantly increased from current designs, but somewhat irrelevant after tax inflates price substantially.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:38 PM   #54
NavyVet1959

If it wasn't for the NFA paperwork and the tax stamp, I suspect that you would see more manufacturers competing against each other and more innovation in the field. You might even start seeing guns that come with their barrels threaded by default. The current red tape stifles innovation. Produced in quantity, there's no reason that a suppressor should cost more than $100.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old May 10, 2014, 11:35 PM   #55
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The current red tape stifles innovation. Produced in quantity, there's no reason that a suppressor should cost more than $100.
In some countries where suppressors are unregulated and essentially an over-the-counter purchase, that isn't too far from the truth.

I was talking to a fellow from New Zealand a few days ago, that picked a new suppressor up for his .444 Marlin. Even with custom baffles inside a can designed for .45 caliber rifle use, he only had to fork over the equivalent of $160.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:58 AM   #56
NavyVet1959

You would think that the government would actually WANT us to cut down the noise that we produce.

Not that suppressors make it so quiet that you can completely do without hearing protection for most calibers. At least not if you are going by the OSHA noise guidelines.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old May 11, 2014, 07:58 AM   #57
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Silencer? That's a silencer?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
You would think that the government would actually WANT us to cut down the noise that we produce.

Suppressors are a perfect example of the truth about gun control. They are only in the NFA because it was realized that the bill wouldn't get enough votes as originally written. What was keeping people from voting for it? The bill originally included handguns. They dropped handguns, and being gun control types they weren't going to let it go at that. They added suppressors.... not because of crime or any valid reason, just because it goes on a gun, they were relatively new, not many people cared and they could get away with it.

Nothing has changed. Today they ban flash suppressors, barrel shrouds, forward grips, thumbhole stocks, etc, etc... Not because the individual item means/does anything but because it's one more piece of the pie.