The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2009, 02:58 PM   #26
Krieger9

Quantity

Sometimes I'll be reloading and realize that I'm not out of ammo and the sun's still up.

Yea, I hate that.
Old December 4, 2009, 06:39 PM   #27
BigJimP

I've never had a problem on a metallic case reload .... ( knock on wood ) - and I use a Progressive press.

Now that isn't to say I don't reject a few rounds / have to pull a few bullets - case cracked that I missed on inspection, primer isn't seated quite right, etc - but I think the new presses, especially the ones with a powder check station, have increased the reliability of my loads a lot.

I did screw up some 20ga shotshells the other day ( got the primer feed tube too close to the shells in station 2 and I was hitting a shell now and then as the head came down ..... but I managed to figure it out, after I got about 15 bad shells off the press ... ( I had adjusted the feed tube on the primer tray recently ) and fouled it up .... ( last place human hands touched / is where you should always look first ).
Old December 4, 2009, 10:29 PM   #28
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
...or what did you start out doing wrong that is now more efficient after thinking about it?
Simply not stopping to ask before proceeding. Patience and discipline are definitely needed in reloading. It would have been more efficient to do that instead of being bullheaded. Nice thing these days for newbies is the internet. Post a question and a drove of members are willing to help in a matter of minutes.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 10, 2009, 09:59 AM   #29
MATTUSMC

I have not had any errors on my Rock Chucker, but last night I set-up my "new to me" yet used Dillon Square Deal B for the first time... It took me a little while to get it set-up and get the powder set where I wanted it, but after that I was rolling until... I inspected my rounds and found 3 out of the first 50 to be missing primers... I kinda forgot to push the handle forward on a few rounds... and then on further and closer inspection I found 3 more primers in the same bunch that were not seated all the way... all easy fixes, just grabbed the hand primer and problems solved...

Through the second group of 50, I paid the attention and had no errors... Now the left hand seats a primer as the right hand reachs for empty brass... I can't wait until that becomes muscle memory and not having to think, "wait push the handle forward."
Old December 10, 2009, 11:25 AM   #30
Doodlebugger45

I started out loading 38 special and 357 magnum. To begin, I started with several hundred brand new factory pieces of brass. After just a few of them, I realized that there was no need to run these particular cases through the sizing die. Cool. After a couple months I was finally able to get some dies and brass for my 45 Colt. I just assumed that the factory brass would be like my previous experiences with 38 and 357. Wrong. After I had them all primed and charged, I discovered that those brand new cases were way too big. My .452 bullets would just drop down all the way into the case and then most of them wouldn't come out again. I only did that to 4 or 5 of them before I decided to do something else. In my naivety, I didn't know that I could run them through the sizer die even when they were primed, just making sure that I didn't run them in all the way to the decapper pin. Instead, I took a pair of pliers and made an oh-so-small dent, purposely deforming the mouth of the case just enough to give me some neck tension to hold the bullet in place so that I could run it through the seating and crimp die. It worked out OK, but it taught me to never assume anything about the brass. Always run it through the sizing die first.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:26 PM   #31
Ryder

I wouldn't call it an error exactly but when I test a series of loads at the range I shoot the lightest loads first. When I arrive at a load which is accurate I often have a handful of hotter loadings left over that I don't bother to shoot. End up bring them home and disassembling them.