The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
rolyasm

I have single stage, is one press more compatible?

I have seen many threads about 550 vs 650 vs LNL vs etc..

It is a hard choice, so I won't ask what is better. I am curious though if I can save money with what I already have by buying a certain press. I currently use a very old, single-state RCBS. I have multiple dies (about 15) from .380 to .308. I have a powder scale and dispenser, hand-primer, calipers, etc.

So I guess my question is will what I have work BETTER or save me money with any press? I am guessing all my dies are compatible with most progressives.
I think the 4 I am looking at are the LNL, the 550 or 65O and the RCBS pro 2000.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Roly
Old December 9, 2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Pongo

As far as saving money. It really depends on how much you reload.

A single stage is fine if you are only doing a small amount at a time.
Old December 9, 2009, 02:07 PM   #3
oneounceload

If you shoot enough to justify the cost of a progressive - and it accepts your standard threaded dies (some don't), then what you have should work fine
Old December 9, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Some of the LNL's had an issue with one of the standard dies. Seater, maybe? I think it interfered with the ejector spring, but I believe that's been addressed? Someone who owns one can probably tell you. Otherwise, it's choose what you want. The five station presses, except the RCBS, will give you a place for a powder checking die. I think that is a good idea, if you don't mind springing for it. Call the makers to be sure all calibers and the dies you have are sure to be compatible with the press you choose.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 9, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
ddcarter3

New LnL Ap w/ EzJEct have no issues with the crimp die hitting the ejector wire. It has none.
Old December 9, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
BigJimP

Like others said - most presses will accept your dies.

I think all the big name presses are good equipment / there are differences in them ...some matter, some don't.

On the Dillon 550 - it does not have a spot in the toolhead for the "powder check option" but the 650 does. The powder check die is a deal breaker for me - if I were to buy a new press today. It gives me a lot of extra security that my powder drops are within an acceptable range. The 550 press does some calibers that are not available in the 650 press / check the dillon site for the list - but in general, the 650 does all the calibers most people care about. Hornady LNL and others have options for a powder check also.

The big issue on a progressive - is saving time. It isn't all about time / its about getting a quality round off of your press - but if I can load 250 rounds in 15 min on a progressive / that takes me 4 hours on a single stage ... I'm going to the progressive !

For what its worth - I'd buy a Dillon 650, with a case feeder again ... for my money. I like the press very much / but it isn't the cheapest option - but its never let me down either.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
rolyasm

Hi,
I just watched this RCBS pro 2000 video. I now understand what manual indexing is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCOjenjFKmI

So with the pro 2000, You have to manually do 2 things: 1)load case 2) load bullet ?
Also, there is no way to use a powder tester on the RCBS? Just trying to clarify the differences. Thanks.
roly
Old December 9, 2009, 08:30 PM   #8
hodaka

A progressive won't save you money, just time. What is your time worth? I have a 550 and it works fine but I usually do most of my loading on a single stage while watching football or old westerns. I can multitask with a single stage but the 550 takes total concentration.