The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
rebs

Lee 1000 progresive or Lee classic turret ?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these presses ?
Old September 25, 2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Sevens

I have a heap of experience with the Lee Pro 1000. Somewhere approaching 100,000 rounds.

For my uses, it's been just a phenomenal machine. It has done precisely what I had hoped and envisioned it would do for me, but my use for it is not what everyone else in the world is using it to do.

I use it strictly as a brass prep machine. For me, the Pro-1000 resizes, deprimes, re-primes and flare case mouths on handgun brass. In this way, it's blows any turret press so far out of the water that you won't find the pieces. And I chose the Pro-1000 for this task because I wanted a machine that would allow me the flexibility to do exactly what I stated above... and do it across THIRTEEN different calibers and be able to pull that off reliably... for chump change.

As a full progressive press? Anything from Dillon and the Hornady LnL is a better machine in every possible way. But for the cash outlay? Nothing on the market will approach what I can do on the budget I've laid out.

I decided a very long time ago that being able to meter out my powder across a tray of charged brass was exactly the way I enjoy making ammo. And seating bullets one at a time also gives me the "feel" in my press lever that truly gives me the confidence that I'm building a consistent loaded round. Those two items are of utmost importance to me, but I did want to speed up my production a bit. The Lee Pro-1000 does exactly that and one of the best parts of it is how much less I have to handle a piece of brass.

My process puts my output far behind a true progressive press and I'm okay with that. But I've got a genuine edge on a turret press when it comes to production.

With all of THAT said...
The Lee Classic Turret is the press I most often recommend to folks who wish to get started for the first time. It's a fantastic setup and in my opinion, it beats the pants off -EVERY- other turret press ever built and marketed, hands down.

I do the bullet seating on my Classic Cast. If someone stole it and I had to replace it, I'd probably buy the Classic Turret. Or maybe another Classic Cast, I do love this press.

If you have any Pro-1000 specific questions, I'm happy to try to help.
Old September 25, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3
AKhog

I used a Lee Turret for quite a few years and had decent luck with it. Didn't care for Lee's Auto-Disk powder measure at all though, leaked and jammed up all the time.
I switched to a Hornady Pro-Jector about 22 years ago when I got a good deal on one at the shop I worked for and never looked back. I just recently traded it in to Hornady for a LnL for $200. Some things I like better about the LnL a lot more, like the quick change die collets, others not so much, like the priming system. The little punch that seats the primers that screws into the bottom of the ram is a real pain in the ass to change to switch from large to small and back.

I still have a lee cast press that I use for De-priming and bullet pulling.
Old September 25, 2014, 05:38 PM   #4
GyMac

I've used both and have been very happy with them, but I think the Classic Turret is the superior machine. It gives you 4 stations versus 3, which is important to me. Also, my Pro 1000 kind of wore out and loosened up. It also can be a little bit finicky; the Classic Turret is much more straight forward. I can load all the ammo I need on the Classic Turret without a problem so production rate is not an issue. Oh, as far as the Lee powder measures go, haven't had a problem.
Old September 25, 2014, 06:45 PM   #5
StripesDude

I have the classic turret and just upgraded to the Lee loadmaster. The classic turret works fine, but I was only loading about 200 rds per hour. I can crank out 400-500 per hour on the Loadmaster.

And I haven't had any of the well published problems with the Loadmaster. But I'm also mechanically inclined.
Old September 25, 2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Still have a Pro 1000 but seldom used these days. Early 80s machine as I recall. As soon as Lee's announcement of their intentions to market their new creation. I jumped at buying the first one that came into view and my local Sports/ Gun shop. Onlyest machine available back then. No Hornady's LnL and RCBS was caught flat footed and totally without matching product. Poor litt'l Blue Dillon wasn't even conceived yet. But that's history.

The only inconvenience I encountered with my Pro 1000 was its auto indexing occasionally. Once I got used too resolving that issue, {a simple fix} requiring a minuet or two with a screwdriver. The machine there after was plain unstoppable. I never time myself on how many rounds I could make a minute with my machine. But it was allot when it came to making those 9mm FMJ's fall into a tray. BTW I have no experience with using a Lee Classic turret press. But I'm sure other FLF members have.
Old September 25, 2014, 07:53 PM   #7
richrd1

I have always used single stage presses as most of my shooting was rifle. but now that I am doing more pistol, I've been thinking about a new setup. The price on the Loadmaster seems well within reach, can someone tell a little more about it.

Thanks
Old September 25, 2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Worc

Here's some info on a similar post here a week or so ago.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552077
Old September 25, 2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Vance

I have used both machines and prefer the classic cast turret. Never did like the pro 1000. It got sold.
Old September 26, 2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Jimro

Classic Turret.

I'm halfway through turning my Pro 1000 into a 3 station turret. It worked fine for one load, so if you just want to set up one machine for one load, then it is fine for that.

Jimro
Old September 26, 2014, 09:31 AM   #11
lapetrarca53

Been using my 9mm Pro 1000 for just about a year.

The trick is setting them up properly from the beginning. From there, it's routine maintenance and it's mostly the seating die that needs cleaning.

As someone else stated, it suits my purpose. I'm only loading 9mm and it fit within the budget.

Sure, there are better machines but, I'm not sorry I bought mine.

YMMV.
Old September 26, 2014, 10:14 AM   #12
MarkCO

I loaded well over 100K rounds on Lee Pro1000s. If you are going to load small primer pistol ammo, it is a very good press for that purpose. Does not do as well with botttlenecks and large primers, but you can tinker it into decent performance.

If you plan on a variety of calibers to include rifle, the Classic is a better bet, but you will be slower for pistol ammo.

I now load on a Dillon 650 and use a RockChucker for small batches and working up loads.
Old September 26, 2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Reloader2

I'm pretty much mechanically inept but I've had no problems learning and using my Lee Classic Turret press.
I bought my first 9 mm semi auto a couple years ago and wanted to speed up production some over the single stage.
I normally run mine as a three stage, preferring to size and decap my cases with my single stage press. I normally prime them with an RCBS hand priming tool.
Probably not the fastest method, but I can produce a lot more ammo this way then I ever could with a single stage press only.
Old September 27, 2014, 05:08 AM   #14
rebs

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it. It looks like the classic turret would be the press for me.
Old September 27, 2014, 08:26 AM   #15
P-990

You won't be disappointed with the turret.

Between the two machines, my preference is for the Pro-1000 for running pistol ammo. Mine gets switched between 9mm and .38/357 on a regular basis. I would agree with the assessment that it is better for small primer work than large primer cartridges, and I've loaded a fair amount of .44 Magnum and .45 ACP on a Pro-1000 as well. Sometime this fall I'm going to set mine up to run .223 55gr FMJ plinkers. (It's been years since I've done .223 on a Pro but I have done it before.) But that's really about the limit of the machine IMO. There are a couple of tricks you can use to tighten things up, just don't expect sub-MOA match ammo unless you find a very forgiving load to make.

All that said, caliber changes on the turret are quicker and easier, and you can still get 150-200 rounds an hour.
Old September 27, 2014, 10:10 AM   #16
Heavy Metal 1

I cannot comment on the choice selection you sought information on, and my comment will be a tad OT, but through some reading on the net I was made aware that one can prime 30-06 sized cases using the 45ACP shellplate. I can prime them so fast it is amazing and only limited by my hand/eye coordination. As to your quest, I find my Pro 1K a great machine and see no need to replace it.
Old September 27, 2014, 06:14 PM   #17
pathdoc

I have the classic cast turret press. I am, admittedly, currently using it almost as a single-stage, with all dies for one calibre on one turret to avoid making fiddly readjustments whenever I go from deprime/resize to bullet seating or change calibres.

I'm very happy with it, and wish I'd bought it earlier than I did. I'm not currently feeding any self-loaders or handguns, so I don't need the output a true progressive offers right now, or even the indexing feature of my press. Time will tell...
Old September 27, 2014, 10:28 PM   #18
Lost Sheep

I am one who started with a single stage press, acquired two Pro-1000 presses and then moved "up" to a Classic Turret, becoming much happier for the change.

I never got used to trying to monitor multiple simultaneous operations, so part of my change from the Pro-1000s to the Turret is personal style.

If I did 500 rounds at a time, I would definitely be in the market for a progressive, but I don't, so I'm not.

But also, what makes the Classic Turret better in my mind, is the ease of caliber swaps (I load for a half-dozen). The base of the Lee Classic Turret is cast iron and has a rather robust ram. The Pro-1000 (and the Lee Deluxe Turret, also) base is aluminum, thus takes a bit more care to mitigate wear. The Classic Turret drops spent primers down the center of the ram and into a flexible tube, where the Pro-1000 (and the Deluxe Turret, which uses the same base) drops them alongside the ram where they are supposed to bounce into a cavity in the press' base. They don't all do so.

Having said all that, I recognize that the Lee Pro-1000 may be just the ticket for you, as your needs and your personal style may be different from mine.

For a more complete picture of the Pro-1000, check out this thread.

Lee Pro 1000 Solutions < No Bashing > - THR

Good luck

Lost Sheep

edited to add: I found that my throughput on the Classic Turret was almost as great as on the Pro-1000 (not having to stop and check each operation on the Pro-1000 as I felt the need to do) and I have more confidence in the finished product as well.

I will stipulate that I fed the cases into the Pro-1000 by hand, as I did not have a collator to fill the case feed tubes. That slowed the Pro-1000 a bit.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; September 28, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old September 28, 2014, 02:14 AM   #19
Hook686

I have both. I reload for 9mm, .357 magnum, .44 magnum. The Pro 1000 sits in a box in the garage. Some day I might go through the hassle of setting it up again to reload 9mm and still have the Classic Turret set up for .357 and .44. Space is the decider. Once set up and operating correctly, and it took too much time and effort to get to that point, it cranked out 9mm, .357, or .44 very nicely. The pain was in changing caliber and the setting up. I found it far to easy to get a blunder and have to begin the setup all over. Really a pain in the tush.

On the other hand I find the classic turret to be very enjoyable to reload using. Even though only half the output as the Pro 1000, it is easier on my ulcer.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 28, 2014, 06:30 PM   #20
richrd1

forgive me for jumping in here, I load .38 specials and 45 acp.

I would like more output speed over single stage and you have me considering the pro 1000. Since I have never even seen one, does it kick out a loaded round with each pull of the lever and does it advance automatically or do I turn the shell plate by hand?

thanks Sheep for the link on fixes, good stuff.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:28 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
ince I have never even seen one, does it kick out a loaded round with each pull of the lever
When it's running right, yes.

Quote:
and does it advance automatically
When it's running right, yes.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 28, 2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Lost Sheep

Even when it's not running right

If the primer ramp is down to two primers or fewer, you may get an empty primer pocket, and occasionally you may get a sideways primer.

So, you do get a finished round for every pull of the handle, but the finished round is only as perfect as your diligence.

Single-stage presses make such diligence MUCH easier to maintain.

The auto-advancing turret's primer feed and case feed (being 100% manual) are more reliable.

It is possible to add an automatic case ejector to kick out the finished rounds on the turret (which happens automatically on the progressive).

Lost Sheep

richrd1, you're welcome. I like to share.
Old September 30, 2014, 04:06 AM   #23
ljnowell

I have been running a Pro1000 for awhile now. I took it out of the box, set it up, and loaded 1000 380s right of the bat. No priming errors at all.

I am currently another 2000 38 specials into it(3000 total rds loaded) and I have had exactly 1 priming problem. It was a single sideways primer.

I would say that if you follow instructions to a "T" and do one simple and free modification(a paper cover for the primer chute) you can have a trouble free press that cranks out the ammo.