The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2001, 03:55 AM   #1
magnum_force

How much does it cost to have an existing barrel cut down and trued on a lathe? Where is a good place to have this done?
Old January 11, 2001, 06:41 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most any gunsmith can handle this, MF. I suggest calling a local shop or two, you won't have to ship it.
Old January 11, 2001, 01:31 PM   #3
nedfig

The average price I have seen advertised on the WWW is $35 for shotguns. Rifles may be a different story.

Old January 11, 2001, 08:09 PM   #4
ctdonath

How about a parkerized rifled barrel?
Old January 12, 2001, 12:45 AM   #5
Badger Arms

I've done it many a time with a hack-saw and miter box. It keeps the cut pretty square. After cutting, I take the barrel and spin it between my palms with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper taped to the rubber on top of my bench. This polishes it up pretty good. I then oil it and leave it. Remounting the bead is the hard part. I'd suggest you get a gunsmith to do this. The muzzle doesn't need to be 'true' on a shotgun as much as you'd think. If you want, practice it three or four times up the barrel before you cut it to final length.
Old January 15, 2001, 09:27 AM   #6
nedfig

That's what I did. Had a 28" barrel and cut to 20". I squared the cut up on the bench top sander finished of with some 1000 grit paper. Then clean and degrease and use some cold blue on the surface. Putting the new bead on isn't too difficult. You just need to find top dead center. Brownell's has a bead sight kit. Has correct drill, tap and 2 beads. Remington IIRC has a 6/48 bead.

Just remember to measure 3 or 4 time and cut once.

Old January 16, 2001, 04:44 PM   #7
RH

I've considered this ... but how do you secure the gun in the mitre box, which is made for squared pieces of wood ?
Old January 17, 2001, 12:21 AM   #8
Badger Arms

I have one of them Spring-Clamp things that you get at the hardware store. Clmap it diagonally from the corner on both sides of the cut. Alrenately, you can drill some holes and use a zip-tie to cinch it down against the box. Never tried this, but it's the CHEAP way to go.
Old January 17, 2001, 03:23 AM   #9
DML

This may sound dumb, but before I had access to proper tools I cut some shotgun barrels with a pipe cutter. Of course, it won't work with a ribbed barrel. I didn't cut all the way through. I just scored the barrel and finished the cut with a hacksaw. It came out square. and I just finished the muzzle with a file.

The main drawback it that the wheel of the cutter leaves a ring in the finish near the muzzle.

You can get pretty close to TDC with the help of a friend. Put a piece of masking tape on the area where you want the bead. While you sight down the barrel of your UNLOADED gun, have a friend hold a pin vertically in the spot you want the bead. Have him move it until it looks right to you. Have him mark that spot. You will be at least as close as most factory barrels.
Old January 19, 2001, 10:17 PM   #10
handgun357

cost

It cost the price of 1 hacksaw blade..LOL
It shouldn't be more than $50.00 at a good smithy.