The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Niisan2309

Non-lethal dog deterrent

I like to jog, and walk my dogs in my neighborhood. However not all of my neighbors follow the leash laws here in Hope Mills and I occasionally have a dog running at me or my leashed companion. Now I am carrying concealed while out, but all kinds on pleasantries would be forthcoming if I shot a dog in city limits regardless of what the dog was doing.

And then I found this:

http://www.stungunshq.com/telescopic...n-sm-flex.html

Now before I purchased it I was hoping some one on this forum had some experience with a telescopic stun baton and would lend me some insight.

Could this possibly be my solution to those pesky dogs?

MODS: I had to use my best guess on placing this topic, please move if needed.
Old June 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Doc Intrepid

Pepper spray is more likely to be a broadly acceptable solution in most communities.

Not only is pepper spray reasonably effective against dogs, and precdent exists (for example the US Postal Service issues it to mail-carriers,) but impact weapons and electronic stun devices also may open you up to other sorts of negative consequences.

FWIW.

YMMV.
Old June 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you wanna let 'em get that close....

If it were me, I'd go with pepper spray.
Old June 30, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Niisan2309

My only concern with the pepper spray is that when I tried it, it was successful in incapacitating everyone. Including myself. Granted I was exposed to the least amount of it, I was still semi-blinded. I like the idea of "poking" an oncoming animal and be done with it.

What consequences can come from me using a stun baton? Aren't they made for situations like these?
Old June 30, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Doc Intrepid

Against people.

And even then you can be accused of "assault".

(Ever read any court cases where the victim actually came out of it worse than the perpetrator?)

Whack someone's dog with an electronic stun baton and find out what sort of fresh hell you can invite into your life.

(You may find you're not exactly "done with it" after one poke...)

Obviously, its your gig - go for it if you want to.

But I suspect you're on safer ground with pepper spray...

FWIW...
Old June 30, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Niisan2309

Honestly I have no intentions of using one of these against people.

But thank you for the input.

The American legal system infuriates me when I have to keep in the back of my mind the repercussions of defending my self from a potentially rabid dog.
Old June 30, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
lee n. field

Would it be too much trouble to just carry a short walking stick?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 30, 2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My only concern with the pepper spray is that when I tried it, it was successful in incapacitating everyone. Including myself.
Well, there is that whole thing about "peeing into the wind". Just kidding.

There must have either been some serious wind that day or you had a seriously defective can, or maybe just a fogger?

I wouldn't use a fogger. The wind is much more of a problem. Make sure you get the kind that sprays a stream.

So far as problems with the neighbors as a result, I doubt using pepper spray instead of bullets is going to make them friendly. It may keep them from going completely ape, but they aren't going to be happy, regardless.
Old June 30, 2009, 02:09 PM   #9
Niisan2309

I carry a 1 inch thick dowel with me that I have had to swing at a few dogs with, but I was looking into something that would take less "swinging". I thought that a stun baton would incapacitate dogs with less effort on my part.

I will look into the stream pepper spray.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Carne Frio

I carry bear spray. No dog can handle it and it is powerful
enough to shoot into a good breeze. I also carry a 44spl with
the first round a shot shell followed by 5 Blazer hp's. I have
not had to use the gun, yet. I have nailed 3 dogs in the last
two summers with the spray. They run away, howling like
crazy. Much better than getting bit or my dog tore up.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:20 PM   #11
J.Smith

I carry a "bite stick" which just happens to be a electroless finish 26'' ASP. My conceal and carry instructor told us that as long as you refer to it as a bite stick that the police cant say a word about it. In actuallity it is a non lethal extension of my fist. Dogs can bite it or you can pop a attacker with it.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:24 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My dad and I always had a half can of this on our bikes. we would ask for less than full cans from the mail man. I assure you it will not stop a belligerent boa and sunglasses clad fella at the restaurant who just slung a cup of hot coffee on a waitress... not until it runs from his forehead anyway. But dogs... stop right there and flee!
Brent
Old July 1, 2009, 12:42 AM   #13
kmullins

Around my neighborhood, there always seems to be a stray or sometimes a neighbors dog out. My solution: Hickory axe handle. Trust me, you hit a dog with a piece of solid Hickory, and something is going to break on that dog. Seems like an easy fix to me, I'm not willing to take a chance. If me killing someones pitbull means I get punished for it, then so be it. I always have the "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" mentality.
Old July 1, 2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Sarge

I've used OC on dogs with fair success but don't kid yourselves; if you get flat out charged by one or more 100+ pound determined, proven people-eaters, you will need to shoot. My pair got within about 30 feet before I heard the first snarl and had blood splatter back on my pants leg, from the last of five shots.

Don't let them get so close that you find out, the hard way, that you didn't escalate/engage soon enough.
Old July 1, 2009, 02:19 AM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My conceal and carry instructor told us that as long as you refer to it as a bite stick that the police cant say a word about it.
Interesting. That's certainly not true in TX. Even with a CHL, carrying a "bite stick" such as you describe would net you an illegal weapons charge.

Here's another option for dog deterrence.

http://www.petpetsupplies.com/dazar-...deterrent.html

The advertising is a bit optimistic in terms of their claim that it will "force aggressive dogs to keep their distance". I've seen dogs tolerate it even at close range. On the other hand it certainly does get their attention and rearranges their priorities--especially if you wait to activate it until they're pretty close.

You have to just hope the dog isn't deaf, I guess...
Old July 1, 2009, 08:31 AM   #16
grymster2007

I just carry a T-bone.
Old July 1, 2009, 08:38 AM   #17
choicesmade24

Stun the owners maybe then they will follow the law
Old July 12, 2009, 09:49 PM   #18
CWizard

Don't waste your money on the Dazar, Been there, done that. I carry a three cell maglight even during the day. Got my neighbors to understand I was serious.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:25 PM   #19
oneounceload

Bear strength pepper spray and a 5-6' hickory or oak walking stick - works wonders.....one good bop on the snout, and they'll leave you alone; if they don't, one snoutful of bear spray and you'll never see them again
Old July 14, 2009, 11:37 AM   #20
neon

Get some doggy pepper spray. Batons are illegal in many places.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:44 AM   #21
a7mmnut

Forget all that. Put some plain old household ammonia in a 16 oz. plant spray bottle with a very good pump. It should spray about 12-15 feet on straight stream with no problem. It won't kill you, the dog, nor any bystanders, and I've yet to see a pooch stick around to find out what "burned" his nostrils out if you hit him straight down the snout.

-7-
Old July 14, 2009, 11:48 AM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't carry any of that crap on a jog. If the dog is going to bite you shoot it.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Pahoo

Have never see what Hogdogs has listed and it looks pretty interesting. A few years back, I use to carry a squeez bottle filled with Amonia. It never failed to stop a dog. May be a bit tricky to carry but it sure works and it's cheap. Just spray it in front of them and once made the mistake of sprying into their face and somewhat blinded them, I think ??? I'd rather kill an attacking dog than seriously hurt one. I have also used a loud shrill whistle that stopped them as well but it draws attention. Have been bitten before and those dogs were not around for long.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 14, 2009, 05:13 PM   #24
J.Smith

ASP
Old July 15, 2009, 10:47 AM   #25
mike45

Regular pepper spray works very well. I've used it numerous times on troublemakers with four or two legs.