The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Pecos21

Whats with modern turkey guns?

Saw an article in Field and Stream showing the new models from Remington, Benelli, and Mossberg. All are completely camoed out, pistol griped, some have telescoping stocks, and some have accessory rails.
Now, they also have ported turkey chokes.
Whats next? infared scopes, lasers, bipods?

I shot my first turkey with a Stevens single shot break open 12 gauge. You know, the kind you buy at Academy for 65 bucks.

Is this just the modern evolution of shotguns? Is this just marketing to get hunters to buy turkey assault weapons so they can live out guerilla warfare ninja fantasies?

Not trying to start a war, this has nothing to do with second ammendment rights, I'm just curious as to what yall think.
Old February 27, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2
The Gamemaster

I saw them, I looked at them. I laughed at them..

You seem to have as good of eyesight as I do.

The gun manufacturers would catch a lot of flak if they advertised them as self defense weapons.

But put the label on them - Turkey Guns, and nobody pays attention to them.

Some gun manufacturers will even go so far as to mis spell words in their ads so people cannot do a google search and find their Home Protection Weapons.

As long as you have these looney kids over at the mall that comes from single parent homes that are doing drugs and has all them earings and studs all through their bodies and tatoo's and stuff.

They watch all these war movies and action movies where people pull out guns like these and their only goal in life is to own one just like in the movies.

What they are going to do with them is beyond me - since they are mostly too lazy to actually go on a Turkey hunt. Because it is boring..

They like to turn on the Nintendo or the computer where they get instant gratification. The zombie on the screen takes a couple of steps and there is targets everywhere to shoot.

Hunting is 99% effort and 1% action.

Even in the best of situations, you might hunt for years before you get your first turkey. But you can turn on a video game and kill all you want and never leave your bedroom.
Old February 27, 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
hntntrk

I guess some would call it the evolution process just like with handguns and rifles. Hardly see beautiful wood and polished blueing anymore it seems like it's all matte finishes and plastic stocks on everything. Just my .02 worth.
Old February 27, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4
BUCKMARK

Shotgun makers are simply keeping their ears out for what is selling. Period.

The biggest trend in sport shooting is sporting clays, and the re-birth of trap/skeet. I'm sure you know that almost everyone is building or importing a over/under shotgun...they are selling.

The biggest trend in hunting is turkey hunting. There are more birds than ever, and more hunters going after turkey. Most of the items you listed are to cut recoil. The "assault/defensive" style shotguns are simply stocks developed for military and law enforcement to cut recoil...they also work very well for turkey guns. Why re-do a stock that works when you can market it for LEO's and hunters?

I stick with a more traditional style of shotgun...but have nothing against these new models.

It's a lot like trying to find a handgun maker that dosen't build a hi-cap polymer handgun. They sell.

Let's Roll!
Old February 27, 2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Pecos21

I guess I'd be embarrassed to pull one of those guns out of my truck in the good ol rural areas that I hunt. Especially if I didnt come back to camp with a turkey across my sholder. The old timers would be rollin their eyes and laughing at the city boy with GI Joe's shotgun.
Old February 27, 2007, 05:13 PM   #6
BUCKMARK

Those old timers are gonna laugh and roll their eyes at just about anything us younger folks do anyway.

To this day, my 70 year old pap still calls a synthetic stock a "throw-away stock".

As in...

" I looked a 700 Remington at a auction today. $275 but it had a throw away stock so I didn't buy it".

God love the old farts!

Let's Roll!
Old February 27, 2007, 09:26 PM   #7
The Gamemaster

Tell me how cutting down the stock is going to reduce recoil?

Them guns are as ugly as a mud fence.

http://www.remington.com/tactical/
Old February 27, 2007, 09:54 PM   #8
RevolverLover

Quote:
Thats because Remington is using Knoxx stocks, which have recoil reducers in them.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old February 27, 2007, 10:04 PM   #9
BUCKMARK

That's right. That ugly pistol grip stock is the famous Knoxx stock. Designed to kill recoil on full house buck shot and slug loads for LEO use...now avail. on a factory produced turkey gun.

Let's Roll!
Old February 28, 2007, 02:41 AM   #10
Death from Afar

Hmmmm.

Actually, I use my 870 for night shooting rabbits the whole time. It has tonnes of firepower, which is what you need. Last time I went out, we shot 90 rabbits, and that was a very quiet night. Hard wearing guns are needed, as wooden stocks take a heck of a pounding on the back of a truck. This easter, we have the easter bunny shoot, and I fully expect to shoot 300 rabbits in 24 hours. Hard working guns are needed, alas.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Pecos21

if you need some help with those rabbits, let me know. I've got a single shot iron sighted .22 that will easily handle the problem as well as save your sholder and wallet.
Old March 1, 2007, 05:28 PM   #12
DeathRodent

Not all hunters are Zumbo's.

Some want tacticool guns.

Personally I like the trend - for my own use I prefer the more traditional style firearms but, when the hunters realize there is no difference between their Turkey gun & what some call an assault gun except the camo color then maybe they'll start supporting the 2nd Amendment more vocally.
Old March 1, 2007, 07:17 PM   #13
hpg

Quote:
Quote:

Thats because Remington is using Knoxx stocks, which have recoil reducers in them.
+1 check them out here................these things are amazing.................hpg

Old March 3, 2007, 10:18 PM   #14
M.E.Eldridge

Also, adjustable stocks=adjustable length of pull. Might not sound like a big deal, but if you want to teach someone to hunt turkey and they find the LOP on your gun uncomfortable, they might not get full enjoyment out of the experience. My brother went through similar problems when teaching his wife to shoot...
Old March 3, 2007, 11:03 PM   #15
publius

I was in my gunsmith's shop yesterday when this guy comes in with his turkey gun, a full camo pistol gripped Benelli. Ported barrel AND ported choke tube. He is bringing it in to have a leupold 2x7 shotgun scope mounted. I guess that was for the 175 yard shot on a bird with his tactikool scatterifle.
Old March 9, 2007, 12:23 PM   #16
dakotashooter2

Everybody knows the turkey is the modern day velocios raptor when it comes to tenacity and requires heavy artillery to take down. Don't know how the pilgrims managed to kill any with those puny little blunderbusts.

Recoil reduction??????? What for????? Do they plan on shooting a 1/2 box of shells at one bird. Us goose hunters go through a box or two of 3" magnums on an outing and dont blink an eye. What a bunch of mamas boys.

I quit even hunting turkey with a shotgun, it got too easy. Use the bow now. Of course I have to use my 100# compound and 300 gr broadheads.