The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2000, 04:39 PM   #1
cyriaque

I'm having trouble getting hollowpoints to cycle. Any suggestions? I've fired about 150 rounnds thru it.

------------------
cyriaque
Old January 24, 2000, 11:17 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cyriaque, I always recommend 300 rounds minimum for breaking in a new handgun. If the problem persists after that it is more than likely that the release point in the feed lips needs to be set back. In order for a shorter round to function correctly it has to be released to pop up earlier than a full length round. George
Old January 25, 2000, 09:53 AM   #3
cyriaque

George
thanks. i'll shoot it some more and see what happens.

how do i set back the feed lips?

------------------
cyriaque
Old January 25, 2000, 10:30 AM   #4
Will Beararms

From personal experience, the Witness in anything but a 9mm must have the ramp polished in most cases. I would send it to Florida and let them do it. The turn around will be one week and you can even talk to the Gunsmith. It worked for me on a .40 S&W.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old January 25, 2000, 11:49 AM   #5
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
My box stock stainless Witness .45 would feed anything I could jamb in the magazine. Including some really nasty jacketed semi-wadcutters that would choke most 1911s. I'm with the other two posters. Shoot it some more, if that don't work send it back to EEA. I had to send mine back twice, they always fixed it for free and gave me no BS. I sold the gun to a good friend, he shoots it all the time, now I kinda miss it but I know it's got a good home. -- Kernel
Old November 6, 2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Zsnark

My Witness Experience

Hi!

I bought a .45 standard some years ago and just recently got to shoot it. It is a good piece. Mind you, I have only put about 200 hardball through it. But it is accurate, reliable, and ergonomic.

Got a question though. I've seen people ask if they can shoot .45 Super in it. The answer has always been no, which makes good sense to me. But no one goes on the say that it can be successfully modified to handle super ammo.

I don't see why. I've have had several 1911s and this is the vehicle of choice for such conversions. The EAA seems even more robust than a 1911 so it makes me think it is doable.

Any experiences and or thoughts on the subject, guys?

AAW
Old November 6, 2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Lucky 7

ive had my wonder finish carry comp .45 for yrs now and i had to have the feed ramp polished to get it to 99.99% reliablity. then i had to get it converted to SA-only. then a trig job. then an ambi. safety. then i had the slide blued.
lol
i guess its my lil pet huh?
Semper Fi!
-L7
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC