The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Model12Win

New Ithacas M37s?

Well howdy yall.

Something that came to my attention which surprised me is that Ithaca is currently making M37 shotguns.

http://www.ithacagun.com/firearms.php

I couldn't believe it. I thought Ithaca discontinued their shotguns a long time ago? I haven't seen a new Ithaca pump gun in a while. Does anyone know about these NEW Ithaca shotguns? (I don't want to hear about how great your vintage Ithaca is, we know they are ).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Are they not as good? Are the full of MIM parts? I'd love to have one but only if they're as good as they've always been.
Old August 5, 2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

The only thing I know different about them from the originals is the old favorite "slam fire" feature of the old ones is NOT present on the new ones.

If you aren't familiar, it means you can fire a shot, hold the trigger down and when the next round is pumped into the chamber, it will fire. Makes for faster follow up shots, and lots of fun for teenagers of the 60's.
Old August 5, 2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Model12Win

Quote:
The only thing I know different about them from the originals is the old favorite "slam fire" feature of the old ones is NOT present on the new ones.

If you aren't familiar, it means you can fire a shot, hold the trigger down and when the next round is pumped into the chamber, it will fire. Makes for faster follow up shots, and lots of fun for teenagers of the 60's.
Do you see my screen name? I know all about slamfire.
Old August 6, 2016, 07:12 AM   #4
lockedcj7

I've handled both the new and the old. I was not impressed with the fit and finish on the new one. My best friend in high school had a 20 ga. featherlight combo gun that I coveted and I remember it being very refined and smooth. The new one I saw just seemed rough. It was like the difference between an old Remington 870 Wingmaster and a new 870 Express.
Old August 6, 2016, 07:51 AM   #5
FITASC

One would think with all of the modern CNC equipment, they would be turning out better, more consistent quality stuff. Their much ballyhooed Phoenix O/U, never made it to production, and their 28 gauge is priced in decent O/U territory.
Here's hoping they make it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 6, 2016, 07:45 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I've seen old ones and new ones and the fit and finish on the ld ones is undeniably better, but the news ones are much better than currently see from Remington or Mossberg. If I wanted a new production wood and blue pump and wasn't on a budget I'd look hard at the Ithaca.
Old August 9, 2016, 01:42 AM   #7
bamaranger

turkey gun

I handled one set up as a turkey gun, synthetic stock, matte finish, rifle type sights (fiber optic I think) shorter barrel, and an extended choke tube. It was a new gun, and I thought very reasonably priced. A classic from an American icon, I was tempted to buy it......but resisted, as I don't really need or actually want another turkey gun.
Old August 12, 2016, 10:07 PM   #8
jrothWA

The new company seems to be upholding the spirit

of the originals.

According to thier website they have made a better barrel locking device that is stronger then the two systems previously use, e.g.: the pre 855K recieveer and the post 855K, allowing new made barrel to mated and be used.

Sounds nice but have a 1956, 1968 & 1978 in 16, 20 &12, 16 mine favorite.
Even send it back to the former chief engineer of Ithaca for rebluing and mating a second barrel tht was opened to SKEET choking.
Old August 17, 2016, 07:19 AM   #9
Bushmaster1313

Sometimes Les is more
Old August 17, 2016, 07:36 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

What is the new barrel locking system?

Looking at the web site I could not locate any new system used to lock the barrel into place.
Old August 17, 2016, 11:28 AM   #11
LeverGunFan

Looks like Itahca is making a version of the M37 for Inland Manufacturing, as part of their newly manufactured military firearms line:

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Sh...h-shotgun.html
Old August 17, 2016, 03:40 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

It is a good thing the Inland version is made on the three inch receiver.

That way they can't be remarked and "newly discovered in closet find" pop up

for large money. Serial numbers can be changed.
Old September 5, 2016, 11:28 PM   #13
Sheikyourbootie

I bought a new one 3 years ago. Love it.

The fixed barrel was a solution for a "problem" that never existed. The parkerized finish is excellent. Their customer service is very good. They fixed a problem that I caused when I over-torqued a light mount that bent the magazine tube, no charge.

It's the 8 shot home defense version... wood furniture with no frills.

Old September 6, 2016, 12:09 AM   #14
TxGun

The new Ithaca is a couple of ownership groups removed from the original company. That said, the new guns seem reasonably well-made from the couple of examples I've seen.
Old September 6, 2016, 04:04 AM   #15
eastbank

they may be well made,but their well priced too. and as long as a good used one can be picked up for a third or less of their price,it may be tough sleddind. i bought a 16ga in ex used condition for 190.00 OTD. eastbank.
Old September 6, 2016, 10:07 AM   #16
jaguarxk120

The price maybe up here, but you are buying a ALL steel gun with walnut stocks.

No alloy or plastic parts, NO stampings, all machined parts.
Old September 6, 2016, 10:31 AM   #17
eastbank

i just don,t see enought hunters buying them at 800-900 dollars to keep them available. as for all steel and walnut, a good used model 12 can still be had for 350-500 dollars and a older model 37 ithaca can be had for less. if you want one,then buy it. but it will not be any better than a older used one for hunting. eastbank.
Old September 9, 2016, 10:19 PM   #18
artsmom

I have 3 model 37s in the house, and I think the newer ones are hands down better quality than the ones made in the last years of the original ownership. Those made in the '60s and before had nice finishes, but I might be kidding myself just because I liked the old "corncob" fore ends.

I also own Mossbergs, had a Winchester Model 12 and one or two 870s, and a Savage, but I would walk right over the top of all of them to get my hands on a new Ithaca Model 37 for hunting purposes. I can't speak of tactical use or trap shooting though, but I think that new Inland Ithaca trenchgun would do everything and anything any other shotgun would.

For those saying an Ithaca is too expensive, divide the price of a new Ithaca M-37 by the amount of months left in your lifetime and then compare that figure to your phone bill or cable TV. Then figure in that if you took care of it, you could sell it for more than its you paid for it or give it to your kid or grandkid and then do the monthly math again for their lifetime. My family has shot A LOT of turkeys, ducks, pheasant, prairie chickens and furred critters with Ithacas and they have held up magnificently so far, at least since 1960...