The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Rifleman1776

I sold CA revolvers from my shop in the 70s. I was always pleased with the quality, as were my customers. The price was right too. Yours should be a reliable shooter.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #27
hhb

Rember the "Son of Sam"?

Years ago, there was a serial killer loose on the streets of NYC. He would approach parked vehicles with people sitting inside, and begin firing. Witness's reported that they would hear a shot, then "Click Click" Bang.
The detectives were trying to figure out the make of the revolver, and one of them happened to mention it to one of the department armorers who told them; "That's easy, it's a Charter Arms, most of them do that."
Old April 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

hear a shot, then...

Click

Click...

Bang?

Huh?

They would hear the shot, then they would hear a click click, and then hear something go bang (car door?) as in another shot?

I don't understand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:43 PM   #29
ccSnoopycc

Maybe two clicks from a follow up shot? My charter arms gives me one click in double action and two when pulling the hammer back in single action. Going along with the thread i think its pretty universal that the first generation charter arms are very reliable guns perfect for ccw. Its a shame they went through so many reorganizations I would like to see them up there competing with S&W, Ruger, and Taurus. I dont see or know of anyone that carries them where im at.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:57 PM   #30
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Jim,

Were 1st gen. Charter Arms all numbered in the same serial number series? Or did they have different serial number identifiers for the various models?

Mike,
From what I can tell from my research - the serial numbers were sequentially applied and independent of frame/model, all one long chain of numbers. I DO think that the frames may have been made in batches and some stored then finished at various times as needed to replenish inventory. This is probably especially true with the stainless steel frames as all of them have an 'S' stamped into the rear upper most corner of the right side of the frame. Which of course makes sense.
Old April 4, 2012, 06:19 PM   #31
lee n. field

Quote:
Years ago, there was a serial killer loose on the streets of NYC. He would approach parked vehicles with people sitting inside, and begin firing. Witness's reported that they would hear a shot, then "Click Click" Bang.
The detectives were trying to figure out the make of the revolver, and one of them happened to mention it to one of the department armorers who told them; "That's easy, it's a Charter Arms, most of them do that."
Serial killer in NYC with a Charter: sounds like David Berkowitz, the "Son of Sam".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 5, 2013, 10:50 PM   #32
SUNNY2KS

Very Old Charter Arms 38 Special - Undercover

I just bought serial number 9275. No particular reason other than looked very nice and hardly used. Got it at estate sale, childeren in thier 50's selling mom & dad's guns. They said it was thier mom's "purse gun". Is it correct to assume that this gun is from the mid 1960's?
Old January 6, 2018, 02:33 PM   #33
diceman3

Charter Arms Early Undercover

Wow, just visited my old Charter Arms in the safe and thought I’d find out when it was made. Must be very early serial # 4187. Serial on lower right side frame, and no address on th right side barrel.
Surely a collectible, and in excellent condition.

diceman
Old January 7, 2018, 01:48 AM   #34
dave7798801

I have one I bought new in the 70's. Serial # 222223, probably hasn't had more than 200 rds through it. I will still stick it in my pocket if I'm just going outside for a bit and don't want to mess with putting on a holster.

Old January 7, 2018, 08:45 AM   #35
tallball

I have two of them. They both have good fit & finish, and they both go "bang" every time.

I'm assuming the other poster is referring to "Son of Sam". I read a book about him just last year. He used the 44 special CA Bulldog.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:19 AM   #36
Carmady

John Lennon was murdered with a Charter Arms Undercover .38, not by a serial killer.
Old January 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #37
Buckeye!

I have owned at least a couple of dozen Charter Arms revolvers .. both old and new production. I have 3 at this time . 2 Alumium frame 38spl.s and one 44 spl ...

When my 25 year old niece asked me about a good 38spl .( she has a carry permit) I took her to the range with a older steel frame Charter 38spl a older model .. and several boxes of ammo ...after showing off her supriseing shooting skills ... I then .. I brought out a box of 110gr Hornady standard pressure CD ammo .. She ran it through the little revolver ......
I then went to the tail gate of my truck .. and cleaned the revolver , while showing her how ..
I then placed it in a zippered case and handed it to her .. With a box of 148 gr Wadcutters and a box of those 110gr Hornady CD ...it hers now

The little steel revolver weighs in at a scant 16oz . light for a steel frame . My aluminum framed models come in at 12oz ..

I always keep my eye peeled for a Charter revolver .. sometimes they can be found at great prices ...
Old January 26, 2018, 03:37 PM   #38
BusGunner007

Tagged for later.
Story and pix to follow.

Wanting to check the numbers.
Thanks!
Old January 26, 2018, 08:13 PM   #39
BusGunner007

I'm sorry and confused.
Apparently I need both my cell phone and pc to be replaced.

I can get on here with my ancient android Samsung slider on Verizon, but I can't get on ARFCOM at home with my 2005 Gateway and stuff with Comcast.

I will still look at the Charter Arms with what info you show and here's what I can tell you...

My first firearm. Mom gave it to me with only a few rounds fired.
I have the box, original grips, and the sales receipt.
Model: 13831 UNDERCOVER. BULLDOG.
SERIAL NUMBER: 60759

8/22/73.
$75.64 w/tax

I tried to mess with it reading about a s&W J-Frame article and had to send it to Charter to get it fixed!
N/C.
That was 10/25/95. I had an FFL at the time.
They listed it as 'clean gun and adjust' under warranty.

Until I get this cross-computer/cellphone crap fixed, that's the story!