The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Shoot true

remington 770 shoots true

My 770 shoots 1/2 moa at 736 yards with m80 ball and hornady A-Max.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
uncyboo

Pics or it didn't happen.........

J/K partner sounds like you got a good one.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
bpeezer

Mine shoots wayyy better than I do. I think the only things I don't like about my 770 are the amount of play in the bolt and the issues it has cycling rounds from the magazine every once in a while. Remington put a lot of work into the accuracy aspects of development (at least for a $300 rifle)
Old March 14, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4
justin251

Gun tech has come a long way even in the last 20 years.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bolt gun that wasn't at least decently accurate. With new computer technology companies can produce more barreled actions, cheaper, faster, and more finely tuned than ever befo
Old March 15, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
tAKticool

You're very lucky. Of course as I have made this very point about my Bushmaster for example , you can't let other people tell you how your rifle shoots just because They Say So on the internet.

The Bushmaster xample is extremely prevalent on the nt , by a lot of ppl who don't know what theyre talking about but want to sound like they do,and even some people who know a couple Of things about a couple of things. The theory I have read that made the least offense was that Bushmaster before purchase by Freedom was an AR leader and tested everything they made for quality, fit and finish , et al. Once bought they " obviously " dropped standards and according to a forum poster who literally is a builder pre and post , he claimed they went to batch testing so a large group of flawed rifles at a time got sent out. Now whatever to all that , my Bushmaster has been AWESOME ( a spec edition model made in Aug 2010, purchased late Nov/early Dec 2010) and its so dressed up no one realizes it's a Bushmaster, it gets a ton of compliments and when I mention its a Bushmaster I get Oh. A bushmaster. You must be new.

The different problem with the 770 is that its generally accepted that its made with leftover parts from 700 assembling. But not the good leftover parts , like the not so good parts. Unlike say a second line of Wine or Cigars which may be just about the exact same juice or tobacco stick of the first growth Bordeaux or $20-$50 a pop Montecristo or Cohiba red dot , these 770 leftovers are flawed from the get go. Ive read SERIOUS quality control compliants , assembly issues , and numerous too numerous to list part problems , basic all substandard or downright flawed/broken parts being used in the factory assembling. Now I can't of course confirm this is at all true , in the grand scheme of things what the heck do I know Right? It's Just what I was told when I asked about buying a 770 in Jan 2010 pm several forums , and I have watched and read the same stuff over and over again in the three years since. So I was close to saying , the 770 is $299 for a .308 Win combo pack with 3-9x40mm scope at Dick's Sporting Goods. And fhe closest deal for a 700 was the SPS Varmint in a variety of calibers Including .308 , was $499.99. Also the 770'was in a smaller, shorter package which was desirable to me. But everyone hollered st me to run not walk from the 770. So I did. And later I read someone just like me ask for advice , not get the answer he wanted , b the 770 anyway , and have the nerve to grt on the same forum hating on Remington and 770 and freedom group and everyone for his stiffness and lack of advice taking lol.

The Shot-spel According to tAK :-)
Old March 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #6
bpeezer

Quote:
and have the nerve to grt on the same forum hating on Remington and 770
I'm not trying to argue with you, I was just wondering you could post a link to this. When I asked, EVERYONE said don't get one but NO ONE had any experience with one. When I went to purchase one, the clerk tried everything in his power to convince me otherwise but said he had no experience with one. Since purchasing a 770, the only issues I found with the rifle had no effect on the accuracy.

I don't regret my purchase at all, the rifle shoots great and I love it. However I would be interested to hear what other people's experiences have been.
Old March 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
lawnboy

I love low price guns. I looked at the 770 but got a Mossberg 100atr instead. 736 yards is a bit long for me, but I have no issue with believing you can hit what you aim at with a 770 at any distance you need to.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 15, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
jmr40

Quote:
Sarcasm? BS? Facts? What point are you trying to make?
Old March 15, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
jimbob86

Math quiz:

How big a circle is 1 MOA @ 736 yards?

Next question: Can you shoot up to your rifle?
Old March 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #10
bpeezer

Quote:
Math quiz:

How big a circle is 1 MOA @ 736 yards?
2*pi*radius/(Minutes in a circle)

(2*pi*(736 yards*36 in/yd))/(21,600)=7.707 inches!
Old March 16, 2012, 01:18 AM   #11
uncyboo

Quote:
Quote:
Sarcasm? BS? Facts? What point are you trying to make?
Or trolling? Still only 1 post.....could it be a drive-by?
Old March 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess that the appropriate comment might be, "That's nice."

Closed for excessive drive-by.
Closed Thread

Tags
770 , remington