The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Trimming with WFT

This little trimmer is fast.
I am experiencing a variance from 1.748" to 1.752" in finished OAl of my .223 cases. 89% are 1.750 - 1.751".
The variance must be attributed to the difference in shoulder lengths.
Finished ammo being sorted by length and will take various samples to shooting range soon to see if there is a difference in accuracy in my Tiika T3 related to OAL.
Was hoping for some input from people using the WFT.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I haven't used it, but own a Giraud for rimless rifle brass, which also registers off the shoulder (though it also chamfers and deburrs as it cuts, saving you a couple more steps). As you surmise, if the case headspace (head to shoulder) varies, as it often does a little, the overall trim length of the finished case will vary. For most rifles, though, the SAAMI spec has a span of 0.020", and you aren't near that much variance. Length is only critical for conventional crimping dies to get the exact same amount of crimp applied, though the Lee Factory Crimp die doesn't care.

You are actually trimming the neck lengths uniform. That's good for tension consistency. Now you just need some Clever Gus to come up with a bullet seating die that references the shoulder instead of the head, too, and you'll get bullet ogives that are the exact same distance off the lands ever time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 26, 2011, 11:26 AM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

Are you full lenght sizing the cases before you use the trimmer?
Old November 26, 2011, 04:12 PM   #4
tomt53

I have the WFT in 308. I tried using it on neck sized caes and it was not consistent. I found it works very nicely on full length resized cases. I trimmed a 100 cases the other day in nothing flat with very little variation, must were spot on. I trim my .308 win to 2.008".

All in all this is a great trimmer, I will be ordering the 30-06 soon.
Old November 26, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5
TNT

I got a RCBS Pro trimmer that I use made it so I could put on the cordless drill works great. Speeds things up too, RCBS did come out with a adapter for the trimmer it will be my next buy I think
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...o+3-way+cutter
one for .30 the other for .22