The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2000, 09:23 AM   #1
nedfig

I saw three 97's at the gun show Saturday. All were $250. That's when you look real hard to see what's wrong with them. All three were loose where the barrel comes in to the receiver. Certainly this is not normal, but is there an easy fix? Or does that make it a wall hanger.

I also saw the UGLIEST darn thing in the world. Ihaca 37 in riot config. It was hard chromed with black wood stocks. It had concho's and old coins imbedded in the stock. All this for $550. Man it was ugly.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:25 PM   #2
Greg G

There is an adjustment for the play between the barrel and where it fits into the receiver. It can be tightened or loosened very easily. That doesn't mean that the guns you looked at weren't worn out.
Old December 18, 2000, 06:48 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A 97 was part of our crew equipment long ago and far away, and it was a comfort at times. But,sad to say, many of them are used up.

They were made up into the 50s, and some gems do show up,but I'd want a smith I trusted to go over one before I put money down.