The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 31, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
jg0001

Savage // Stevens 512 Gold Wing 20ga

A relative of mine is interested in a 20ga O/U shotgun. He's looking for opinions on the Savage distributed Stevens 512 Gold Wing. I don't know enough to help him on that, but figured someone on here may have a feel for it.

He has a 12ga Benelli Black Eagle already that he hunts birds with (duck, etc), so this won't be his first.

If you recommend something else instead, please try to keep it in the price range of $400-$800.

Thanks!
Old November 1, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
PetahW

They seem to be decent guns - about in the same class as the Mossberg Silver Reserve series.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/MS75410lg.jpg

Old November 4, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
TheSollyLama

I recently bought a Stevens 512 Goldwing in 12 gauge and thus far it's functioned just fine for hunting. I don't know if I'd take a economy gun for serious trap shooting, but for hunting duties it's proven solid, a pheasant and rabbit killer already this season.

The wood is nice, the checkering good with a Flor De Lis look. I noticed some metal shavings from the threading of the barrels that should have been cleaned up at the factory, and the safety/barrel selector switch needs tighened a bit, when moving it to the fire position while bringing the gun up to shoot I've gotten it stuck between the barrel selection so that neither fired...lost a bunny to that. Should be easy to tighten though.

So far this season, I've had no issues whatsoever with the Stevens, I'd recommend it for a hunting gun. Can't speak to other gauges but I'm sure they are similar.
Old November 4, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Waterengineer

What about buying a real Stevens, like this one. They are around in all gauges and I think two grades. They are very common.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=144476844
Old November 4, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Doyle

Waterengineer, the 311 series is a SxS. The Gold Wings are Over/Unders. Unfortunately, the words Over/Under, Affordabl, and Quality seldom go in the same sentence.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Waterengineer

Oops, my bad, sorry.
Old November 4, 2009, 02:31 PM   #7
jg0001

Quote:
Unfortunately, the words Over/Under, Affordabl, and Quality seldom go in the same sentence.
I think this is in part my relative's issue. Hence my seeking firsthand experience with this particular firearm.
Old November 4, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Doyle

In my opinion (which doesn't always count for much), the best affordable over/under available is the old Marlin 90 that was sold by Sears under the Ranger label. You can get 12ga versions in good shape for $400 or less. I've been looking for a 20ga version, but they tend to go for a little more.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Waterengineer

Doyle:

Ya, the Marlin Model 90 is a good idea.

But, wow, a LITTLE more than $400. I think the guy hopes to get paid for that chuck of wood, but the model 90 isn't that great a gun.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=145509447
Old November 5, 2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Doyle

Yea, I saw that one a couple of days ago. It does have some parcularly beautiful looking wood on it though. If he lowered his expectations, I'm betting he could get probably close to $600 due to the pretty wood. I don't think it would go for much more than that though.

I've been watching for these old Ranger models for a few weeks. I've seen several servicable 12 guages that were going in the $300 - $400 range. Unfortunately, I'm also looking for a 20 guage that will go for that price.
Old November 5, 2009, 07:58 AM   #11
Waterengineer

I bet getting him on the phone changes the downward bias of the price very fast. If I were in the market that is what I would be doing. I always find when dealing with GB auctions the expectations of the sellers has a radical upward leaning bias.

As they say in economics 101, only two things can happen. You can bring the price down to what the market will pay or you can go broke waiting for the market to come up to your price.

Also, Shhhhh..., on the price of those Sears and Montgomery Wards guns......
Old November 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #12
olddrum1

As with Iver Johnson years ago, these Turkish manufactuers label their guns to almost anyone. I have the same gun in 410 that was labeled by Charles Daly. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. It will be a functional gun for beginners. If your friend starts shooting a lot of clays he will quickly see the difference in the Goldwing and firearms of better quality say such as SKB or Browning. I would suggest doing a Google of your surrounding area for dealers of shotguns and calling each to see if they have an SKB 505. A used 505 is about the best value for the money right now if you can find one used.