The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Gulfcowboy

Pyrodex 38 special loads.

I've been reloading 38 special lately, and the thought crossed my mind to load up some black powder 38 special loads. I know that 38 special was originally a black powder round. I have some pyrodex the fffg equivalent, and some 157 grain TC Outlaw Bullets. Does anyone know a good recipe for this? Thanks for any info given.
Old July 11, 2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Full to the base of the bullet with light compression, no airspace.
Old July 11, 2020, 04:45 PM   #3
rclark

As Jim says, easy peasy, just fill, slightly compress (~1/16 in). Done.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 11, 2020, 05:56 PM   #4
TruthTellers

You can do more than light compression. In fact more compression with Pyrodex is better, at least in cap and ball revolvers.

Should be no different in a cartridge.
Old July 11, 2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Just reporting manufacturer's instructions.
I have compressed black powder a lot but did not want to advise a novice on a fake.
Old July 12, 2020, 08:30 AM   #6
AVirginian

How smokey is it?
Old July 12, 2020, 03:19 PM   #7
rclark

Plenty smokey. Try it and see . When I first started black powder shooting in cap/ball I used Pyrodex. I currently use Triple-7 and Black mz. I haven't tried Black mz in a revolver yet. One reason I like 777 because I can use my regular powder measure for it unlike regular Black Powder and other substitutes.

The big thing is to leave no airspace under the bullet or ball. That is why you want at least a little compression, so the powder doesn't 'settle' and leave a gap.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.