The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2020, 10:19 AM   #1
flyboy015

First 9mm hand loads... a success!

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I fittingly spent this Independence Day by test-firing 10 rounds each of 4.9 and 5.4 grains of Alliant Unique underneath a 115-gr Hornady FMJ (the only 9mm bullets I could get my mits on). I used two different firearms- a Walther PPS Classic, my typical carry gun, and a Canik TP9 SF Elite. Both firearms functioned perfectly with the 5.4 grain powder charge; the full-size Canik failed to lock rearward on the last shot of 4.9 grains- twice. I was somewhat surprised by these results, as I figured my Walther would be the pickier of the two firearms, as it has a very stiff guide rod and spring assembly, which my wife can't even rack.

Overall, the felt recoil difference between the two loads was noticeable, with the 4.9-gr charge being very tame, and the 5.4 feeling very similar to most of the factory ammunition I've shot, or perhaps at the high end of that spectrum, anyway. I captured and inspected all brass; no signs of excess pressure or pushed-back primers.

I think I'll load 20 rounds with 5.1 grains next, and see if this is a happy medium for the Canik.

I also forgot to pack my target stand and tripod to measure the accuracy, so I'll have to do that this time around.

Any tips for a newbie reloader to practically/smart-ly test fire new hand loads? I'm hoping I can muster up the extra cheddar for a chronograph- I'm considering that a prerequisite for reloading the .223 brass I have saved all these years.

I gotta say, so far this reloading thing is a pretty cool way to blow a few hours a week!
Old July 6, 2020, 10:38 AM   #2
AlaBusa

When testing in uncharted waters, take smaller steps than from 4.9 to 5.4 grains. That is a big jump in handgun load terms. I would have added a 5.1 and 5.3 load in the test. You just never know where a particular gun is going to show pressure signs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old July 6, 2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Sevens

Quote:
Any tips for a newbie reloader to practically/smart-ly test fire new hand loads? I'm hoping I can muster up the extra cheddar for a chronograph- I'm considering that a prerequisite for reloading the .223 brass I have saved all these years.

I gotta say, so far this reloading thing is a pretty cool way to blow a few hours a week!
I think a chrono can definitely be a very handy tool for rifle and it is also necessary for handgun -IF- you are a competition shooter that needs ammo that must make a power factor minimum. However, it is my opinion that a chrono for most handgun handloading is a thousand miles from necessary, that it will SUCK fun out of any range day that you use it -AND- the big whopper, it can introduce a whole new angle of nonsense that you don't need and do not benefit from.

This is my opinion based on 30 years of handloading and 10+ with a chrono. This opinion of my is not a popular opinion and few will ever agree with it. I'm fine with that.

Other tip, based on your post...
Many folks get in to handloading to "save money" and we end up saving money per round but we spend more overall and we shoot a lot more and it all works out. But if you are buying your pistol bullets in 100-round boxes or even the 250-count boxes that Hornady sells, you will be dropping a lot of money where it usually isn't necessary, depending on needs of course. Yes, I read where you were in a bad spot and couldn't get other bullets, but those suckers are extremely expensive.

Whenever I am in any gun store or sporting good joint that has reloading stuff, I never ever ever see them out of 100-count boxes of pistol bullets... because the price on these is catastrophic. $16-$22 a box for 100 slugs, that actually makes factory ammo look like a smarter way to spend money.
Old July 6, 2020, 12:51 PM   #4
ghbucky

Quote:
I'm hoping I can muster up the extra cheddar for a chronograph- I'm considering that a prerequisite for reloading the .223 brass I have saved all these years.
My .02

Why would you put that barrier in the way? You can still load for your rifle and still test different loads for accuracy.

I've just gotten started loading for rifle and I am very much enjoying the process.
Old July 6, 2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Jim Watson

My chronograph informs me as to power factor for IDPA and USPSA and for computing ballistics for Long Range rifle.
It also lets me load Factory Equivalent defense gun practice ammo.

If your main aim is just function of the autos and accuracy at short rifle range, a chronograph will not be a big help.
Old July 6, 2020, 01:07 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I started reloading before affordable chronographs were in the marketplace. We got by with pressure signs and accuracy testing. From that standpoint, you don't "need" one. But if you are loading to reach a certain power factor, then you may change your mind because you don't want to go to your matches with ammo that might not meet the power factor range you want to complete in. If you are developing long-range loads, it will help you more accurately determine your computer ballistic tables and data by giving you the actual velocity and its extreme variation so you can see how much difference it makes. There is also some fine-tuning that is helped by a chronograph, like finding the velocity flat spots in load increments or finding which primer, if any, produces the lowest velocity variation in your loads. Accuracy testing can be used to determine those things, too, and is always the ultimate determination to make, but the chronograph shortens the development effort by sorting out the most promising loads sooner.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 6, 2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Well done flyboy015!

Yes, like AlaBusa, the jump from 4.9 to 5.4 raised an eyebrow with me too. But what's done is done. Moving forward, especially with 9mm (small case, little wiggle room), I'd recommend doing something like 4.9, 5.1, 5.3 . . . keep the increments small - 0.2 grains at a time. (0.1 grains if you're trying to hit a competition power factor; once you get narrowed down.) The faster the propellant burn rate and/or the heavier the bullet, the more this becomes important. Your 115 grainers (light) with Unique (intermediate) bought you some safety margin. (The Hornady 115 FMJ is an excellent bullet, btw. Hornady makes great bullets.)

As for the chronograph: If you have the "cheddar" (I liked that ), you can get one. I have one. I'm going to use it tomorrow. So, for me, it's indispensable. But to go along with Sevens, it isn't an absolute must. If you're just making range fodder, there really isn't a need. In your current example, it sounds like you're going to settle on 5.1 grains and call it good. No need for a chrono to do that.
Old July 6, 2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Double K

I'll come right out and say I'm not a fan of Unique the reason being it's not consistent in reduced loads and fouls much more so than other powders.
Of the old powders that have been around forever 800x is much cleaner, runs lower pressure for the same velocity, has less felt recoil and will function a semi-auto even with light charges.
My second choice is Universal, almost all the same things could be said for it except it can be used in many cartridges including shotguns.
On the chronograph issue I believe it's an essential tool.