The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2013, 07:25 PM   #1
powhs

308 Sizing Problems

Just tried to size some assorted once fired 308 brass lubed with stp. About half of them could not be sized. I weigh 270lbs and use a rcbs full lenght and a small base die with a rcbs jr. Have not loaded rifle ammo in years so was wondering what equipment would make this job easy?
Old February 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Bart B.

First thing I'd do is strip the sizing die then clean it out with naptha or laquer thinner to get rid of everything inside of it. Next, dry it good with lint free cotton so there's nothing left inside except bare steel. Finally, wrap a cloth around somthing that'll fit inside, coat it with a thin layer of STP then apply it to the die's inside. This should fix your problem.

Note the fired cases need to be cleaned well before they're resized else the debris on them will gall the die and make them hard to size down. Do you tumble or vibrate your fired cases in some sort of media first?

I've used STP cut 30% to 40% with Hoppe's No. 9 bore cleaner and that makes a great case lube.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
wncchester

All of the old simple toggle presses lack leverage. Lube the lower half of your cases well and push, they'll go.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
powhs

The dies may need cleaning. Last week I used some Imperial Case Sizing Wax. (not any better) I use case wash and then tumble the brass.
Considered using a cheater bar but am afraid of sticking a case. Am considering a different press.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
chiefr

If it is mil brass, part of the problem is with pressing out a crimped in primer.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
GeauxTide

I've resized 7mm Mag, -06, 308, 280, expander dies for 6.5-06 and 338-06 in a Lyman Turret for 40 years and now a Lee Turret. Clean your dies, use Imperial, put a nickel between you die and shell holder. I, also have a question about mil brass. If it's mil, forget it - crimped primers.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
powhs

They are factory brass. What do you use for mil brass? The seem to hang up about halfway into the die. I removed the depriming rod just to insure it was not a problem. What press would give the power needed?
Old February 14, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Bart B.

I've used my RCBS Jr. since 1966 sizing 30 caliber magnum cases without problems. Same with commerical .308 and military 7.62 NATO brass; it's never failed to full length size cases easily.

There's something not quite right with the system lubrication, somewhere. It may take time to find out what it is. Maybe the press needs disassembled and totally cleaned and lubed.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:47 PM   #9
powhs

Found the problem. Had to raise the die as high as possible in the press to get the needed leverage. Turned it 1 and 1/2 higher and no more problems.