The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 8, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
militant

Mauser Golden State?

I have a buddy who wants to trade me me Benelli Nova for a Mauser Golden State 30-06. I am not familiar with these rifles at all but am looking for a deer rifle. What are your opinions on these rifles?
Old October 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #2
couillon

There was a question posted long ago about an 06 golden state mauser. I can't answer it better.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50058
Old October 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3
natman

I can.

Golden State may have made guns based on sporterized military actions at one time or another, but many were made on Santa Barbara commercial Mauser actions made in Spain. Look for Spain on the tang.

Here's a link to the company's history:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_santafe.html

Look in Bolt Action Rifles for an evaluation of the action:

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0873496604

Last edited by natman; October 8, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
militant

Aside from the companies history, I wanted to know about how reliable and accurate they are.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Scorch

Any rifle based on the Mauser 98 will be rugged and reliable. Golden State used barrels that were OK, but I would not expect stellar accuracy from one, about 3" at 100yds would be my guess. At the time they were made and sold, that was acceptable accuracy from a rifle used for hunting, and a rifle that shot 1" was considered a real shooter. Value is about $300-ish.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:00 AM   #6
10-96

I have one, stamped "Santa Fe Golden State 1946" on the side of the barrel. The receiver was scrubbed above the woodline, but below and on the bolt, floorplate, and follower are still typical Mauser 98 markings. I relieved the barrel channel, it sports a Timney trigger, and it posts solid .55" 5-shot groups with 165gr and 168gr handloads. It opens up a tad with 150's, and finally gets to about 1" with 125's.

The one my brother talked me out of pretty much acted the same with the 150's and 168's- never had a chance to try other weights.

I would make the trade- in a heartbeat. But then again, I never really warmed up to the Nova line of shotguns that much to begin with, I I guess my biases are showing.

The reliability ought to right up there with the best of any rifle maker. Mausers weren't built to be pretty, but ruther with a foremost focus on strength and durability. Unless it has had some unsavory tinkering done to it- it ought to last many more generations. As far as accuracy- they haven't been made in a long time- so how much wear and tear is on the one you're looking at? Hard to say. Mine is excellent, and the one I had before my brother got his burger grabbers onto it was excellent as well.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.