The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
5RWill

CZ 75 owners how do you like yours?

Just curious about the 75s, i have a friend that runs one in production uspsa. I've never handled one but read/heard the grip is like that of a 1911, in that it is just a very good feeling gun. Also how's the double/single action trigger pull? I have one handgun that's Double/single (SW 6906) and i hate the trigger pull, too much give even on the single stage. I know they make single action only, and i'm not where near buying a new handgun, but as i said just curious about them. Seems like a very nice 9mm handgun.

Last edited by 5RWill; July 10, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Creeper

I have the single action CZ75B SA... so I can't comment on the current double action feel of the 'B' version, but I can tell you that the SA is very well made and quite accurate. Well worth the $600 w/night sights that I paid for it.
Years ago, I had a 1st gen. CZ75, second version - pre 'B' model that, as I recall had a very smooth, albeit slightly heavy, double action trigger. Wish I still had it.

The grip does not feel like a 1911 to me... more a Browning Hi-Power, which I believe CZ fully intended, as the BHP has a lovely feel to it. In my hand, either gun is a natural pointer.

The CZ75 is, IMO, one of the finest 9mm combat handguns ever made and ranks right up there in my "personal top 5 9mms" with the best of them for design and functionality... to my eye, they are quite handsome as well.
I have never known anyone who bought one that was even remotely dissatisfied... quite the contrary, they wondered why they waited so long to drink the CZ cool-aid.

Shoot one if you get the chance.

Cheers,
C
Old July 10, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Sulaco2

Had one for awhile. You have to have LONG fingers to lever the trigger correctly. I did not and there is no way because of the engeenering of the trigger that it can be lightened. For those with the hands for it (concert players for exampe) it is a great holster arm, SD or house gun.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
5RWill

I didn't mean to make it sound like the grip was that similar to a 1911 in feel, just in the fact it's a very comfortable handgun.

I actually meant to shoot and hold my friends 75 shadow after last weeks match but didn't get a chance.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
I really like the shadow target model.
IMO, a very nice gun for the money. If you can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate one bit.

I understand what you meant about the grip. The CZ75 "feel" is, in my hand, about perfect.

Cheers,
C
Old July 10, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
5RWill

I have other things under way but i can definitely see a decent 9mm in my future, they're too cheap to shoot/reload not to want one. I'll have to get my hands on one. I have small hands, which is why a 1911 and the M&P series fits me well. I've never held a Hi-Power or as i said the 75, does it cater to small hands?
Old July 10, 2012, 09:03 PM   #7
hAkron

I have a bunch and I think they are great! The grip is more like a Hi-Power than it is like a 1911...but really it's not like either. Excellent guns for the money, but would be excellent guns for a lot more money too.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Creeper

Hmmmm... I don't even know if they make them anymore, but the Sig Sauer P225 is a single stack DA gun... with a very nice feel, short reach and of course, Sig quality.

Of course, we're discussing all metal, conventional DA handguns... so I'll leave it at that, 'cause we sure don't want this to turn into a "you-know-what" thread.

Cheers,
C
Old July 10, 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Creeper

Quote:
I have a bunch and I think they are great!
Is a bunch anything like a bushel basket?

Seriously, I love my B-SA, and will be getting a SP-01 before the year is out.

Cheers,
C
Old July 10, 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
5RWill

Seems the Shadow Target SA has the trigger drawn back some, compared to the double action variants, that would help with small hands/fingers for sure.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #11
pturner67

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical kool-aid drinker here. I've owned Glock and S&W M&P before and they were good handguns. But the CZ is a dream to shoot.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:38 PM   #12
testuser

I've owned four: 9mm C75B, 9mm CZ P-01, .40 CZ-75B Compact and currently a 9mm CZ-75B that's been re-worked by CZ Customs.

I had the following done...

- Thin Aluminum Panels
- Lighter Springs
- Steel Guide Rod
- Single Action Conversion (3.5 lbs)
- Competetion Sights
- Competetion
- Install Wide Safety
- Removing Firing Pin Safety (Target Pistol Only)

These are extremely accurate with just the stock barrel. You should see the test target from the CZ Custom, just one ragged hole...

Replacing the factory grips with the aluminum panels and adding a single action trigger makes for a very thin grip and a short trigger reach. In fact, the weapon now might be a lttle too small for my hand!

In my opinion, it's the most ergonomic grip shape out there. The entire design is thinner than most, too, kind of like the Browning Hi-Power. I think that's why it handles so well for me.

The smaller slide gives less purchase, but it's never been a problem. Of course, it also allows for a much higher grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010012 (2) (800x600) (640x415).jpg (197.3 KB, 2254 views)
Old July 10, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Creeper

Angus does nice work don't he.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:57 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

love all mine. DA is terrible on all 3, but the SA is a dream.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 10, 2012, 10:02 PM   #15
mrbentley57

This is a post I have (almost) 1st hand knowledge about. I own the SW 5906 and a CZ75B. Both are full size double stack DA/SA guns.
CZ has a 16 round mag and the 5906 a 15.
But when I go to the safe to load my range bag my hand reaches for the 5906.
I just shoot it some much better. I like the CZ but I cannot come anywhere near the accuracy I get at combat distances up to 25' in a rapid fire mode. I actually bought the CZ from recommendations of a lot of people. I do really like a lot about it..but I prefer the 5906. I have stock triggers on both of them. Both are well made all stainless full size 9's. I prefer that to a polymer frame. Just my preference not a knock on poly guns.
As for the 6906, which is the compact version of the 5906 I cannot comment. (There fore the almost in my 1st sentence)
However, my experience has been that when you buy the compact you give up a little in performance.
Both guns have been maintenance free except for cleaning. And as far as FTL or FTE problems...they don't exist on either.
Sobottom line... it's a personal preference based on performance in my hands. The next person will have the exact opposite preference. Neither are wrong.

The only benefit to the CZ over the long haul is the CZ is still in production. That said SW still sell all the parts necessary to repair anything on a 3rd Gen 5906/6906.
Note: If anyone looks closely at the 5906 pic the mags are 14 round. This is a very early gun circa.. 1989. In 1991 they added the 15th round to all the mags.
Mike
S&W 5906

CZ75B
Old July 10, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Sharpsdressed Man

I LIKE them! (25 yard, 5 shot groups) [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old July 10, 2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Webleymkv

I've had a 75B for several years and like it enough that I have little interest in any other double-stack 9mm. The trigger is, IMHO, OK but nothing to really write home about. The DA trigger is, in my subjective opinion, about like that of most other DA semi-autos (it is a rare semi-auto that can match the DA trigger of a good DA revolver IMHO). The single action trigger is a bit spongy and not as good as most of my other semi-autos, but it's not so bad that my shooting suffers so I'm not all that worried about it.

What I really like about the gun is its feel. Most double-stack semi-autos feel wide and bulky in my hands and my preference is usually for either a single-stack semi-auto or a revolver. The CZ-75, however, feels neither wide nor bulky due to the excellent shape of its grip. The grip is very rounded in contour and the factory grip panels have a slight palmswell that makes the gun very comfortable in the hand. The slide-inside-the-frame design and the relatively low bore axis work together to make muzzle rise very minute. Also, the weight of the gun (it's rather heavy for a 9mm) and the 4.7" barrel make it balance very well in the hand (much like a 5" barrel 1911) and dampen recoil considerably (Winchester 127gr +P+ Ranger T-Series is not unpleasant in the least from this gun). Finally, I think it's one of the best looking semi-autos available particularly in the duo-tone finish.

Old July 10, 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
myshoulderissore

Just a quick off topic question, those flat SA triggers look ridiculous (no offense), how do they feel to the finger? I FEAR CHANGE!!!
Old July 10, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Creeper

I got no problems with mine.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:30 AM   #20
railroader

Quote:
Just a quick off topic question, those flat SA triggers look ridiculous (no offense), how do they feel to the finger? I FEAR CHANGE!!!
I have flat triggers on a cz75sa and a sp-01 shadow. The flat triggers are adjustable for pre travel and over travel. Both these guns are adjusted with very little take up and over travel. They break cleanly and feel similar to nice 1911 trigger. Here's a pic with my compact that was SA for a while.

Old July 11, 2012, 01:04 AM   #21
5RWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
What I really like about the gun is its feel. Most double-stack semi-autos feel wide and bulky in my hands and my preference is usually for either a single-stack semi-auto or a revolver. The CZ-75, however, feels neither wide nor bulky due to the excellent shape of its grip. The grip is very rounded in contour and the factory grip panels have a slight palmswell that makes the gun very comfortable in the hand. The slide-inside-the-frame design and the relatively low bore axis work together to make muzzle rise very minute. Also, the weight of the gun (it's rather heavy for a 9mm) and the 4.7" barrel make it balance very well in the hand (much like a 5" barrel 1911) and dampen recoil considerably (Winchester 127gr +P+ Ranger T-Series is not unpleasant in the least from this gun). Finally, I think it's one of the best looking semi-autos available particularly in the duo-tone finish.
Indeed it's a good looking handgun. Glad to hear it's a "slimmer" gripped double stack. That's how i feel about my M&P, for a double stack the grip is still very thin IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader
I have flat triggers on a cz75sa and a sp-01 shadow. The flat triggers are adjustable for pre travel and over travel. Both these guns are adjusted with very little take up and over travel. They break cleanly and feel similar to nice 1911 trigger. Here's a pic with my compact that was SA for a while.
Thats good to hear, makes me want to go pick up a shadow target SA only now hehe. I've wondered about the flat based triggers in both rifles and handguns. I've yet to get one yet but i would think that it would help the pad of your finger come straight back to the rear during a pull.
Old July 11, 2012, 06:21 AM   #22
excelerater

i own 2.......my fav shooters pistols I own
Old July 11, 2012, 06:47 AM   #23
iblong

I have a 75B and the P-01 and love them both.The 75B is my IDPA choice for this year.Both have had action work and the 75B has had a shorter reach trigger installed.Ive been primarily shooting Glocks and 1911's in competetion but liked the 75B so much I decieded to try it this season in ssp.After 3 seasons of Glock I made expert in My first classifier using the CZ,yep I like Mine.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:42 AM   #24
loose_holster_dan

if anyone wants a cz custom shop single action flat trigger, i can sell you one that has never been installed for $5 less than the custom shop. i bought it but decided not to install it. according to the website, it can be used to convert any of their guns to single action with the except of the decocker models. i also know it doesn't fit in the omega trigger series.

http://czcustom.com/testproduct-132.aspx

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 11, 2012, 08:02 AM   #25
Zhillsauditor

I've had four CZs over the years, but ended up with only one, the P01. For a long time it was my only 9mm, but I have been looking for a striker fired pistol I could live with--tried an M&P, XD, and Glock. I recently got a Walther PPQ, and the grip ergonomics rival my CZ. It is the first stricker fired pistol that I've shot that I've been happy with--except for the high axis of the barrel. In terms of muzzle flip, the CZ wins hands down.

I'm waiting on a CZ Tactical Sport I just purchased to get in.