The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 27, 2012, 11:23 AM   #51
browninghunter86

never had problems with MidWay ever. Super fast shipping
Old January 27, 2012, 03:30 PM   #52
Servant

Just got off the phone with Midway. They will be sending replacement bullets. I was told to expect them in the middle of MAY.

And it was shipped UPS ground, for those who asked.

Last edited by Servant; January 27, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:32 PM   #53
amamnn

I've found Larry Potterfield's shipping charges to be excessive, which is one reason Midway is one of the last places I shop online--among others. Other than that I don't have any gripe about his company, except I get tired of seeing him dispense misinformation on TV--which your shipping charges pay for.
Old January 27, 2012, 08:16 PM   #54
Sport45

Quote:
I was told to expect them in the middle of MAY.
That's an awful long time to wait. Are they backordered, or do they show up as in stock on the website?
Old January 27, 2012, 08:45 PM   #55
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I don't like Midway. It used to be a terrific company. It may still have good CS, I have never needed it. I do not believe they are as good as they used to be. Currently they charge more than any other similar company for shipping and even their dealer prices are often higher then their competitions regular price. I have checked dozens of items and this is repeatedly the case.

I don't care how fast they ship something, I will not pay 10% higher shipping and 20% higher item cost to get it 3 days sooner.

The only issue I ever had was a crushed box of primers. I'm sure it was UPS's fault and the primers were fine but I was a little ticked when it showed up. But not Midway's fault in that case....
Old January 28, 2012, 01:26 AM   #56
TXGunNut

Just placed an order tonight. Because of the liquids I ordered it will be shipped UPS. It costs a fair bit to run a first-rate shipping department and I feel Midway's prices are reasonable. I ship or deliver stuff all over the country and even overseas now and then, I can assure you Larry's crew does a much better job than my shipping/delivery dept.
And no, I don't work for Larry. I can buy thru the LGS @ a bit over wholesale but I like the website and the shipping confirmation. Besides, my birthday is next week so EVERYTHING's on sale!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 28, 2012, 02:46 PM   #57
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

From a post I made a month ago:

Quote:
I randomly picked one item: RCBS .357 Carbide Sizer Die

Midway: $42.49, dealer price. UPS Ground, $15.17 from MO (Total = $57.66)
Natchez: $31.99, retail price. UPS Ground, $17.99 from TN (Total = $49.98)
Midsouth: $33.96, retail price. UPS Ground, $10.22 from TN (Total = $44.18)

Heck, for $45 Sinclair will sell me the whole carbide set.

This was one RANDOM item. I picked it because I have a .357 set and use it often. I had no idea what the costs would be ahead of time but I buy a lot of shooting supplies and never use Midway anymore because their prices are REGULARLY so high. I could do this all day long.
Never had a problem with Midsouth shipping so that is where my dollars go. Perhaps if Midway spent less time on advertising their products in fancy catalogs to people that already buy from them, they could cut their prices a bit.
Old January 28, 2012, 05:21 PM   #58
Sevens

Quote:
Perhaps if Midway spent less time on advertising their products in fancy catalogs to people that already buy from them, they could cut their prices a bit.
...would be an awful idea. They can't stop the outrageous success of their business and in the amount of time it took you to enter your post, they probably sold 8 sets of .357 Magnum dies, no matter how much Zeke's Guns & Fish Hatchery is selling dies for.

And they are still funneling more raw $$$ to shooting events and Pro-2A causes then probably all of the other businesses mentioned in this entire thread, combined. Money from their customers, and their own money. Larry's money.

They'll do fine while some of us price-shop. I love Midway and I also do it myself, I buy from many places.

Midway USA is damn good people.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:23 PM   #59
HKGuns

Quote:
I've been buying stuff from them for 15 years, never had a problem.
I have never had a bad experience with Midway. Too bad as that sounds somewhat dangerous.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:24 PM   #60
wild willy

Swamp Yankee I think if you check Midsouth is the one who is out of RCBS 357 dies.And yes midways .357 sizer die is more than it should be but the three die set is $46.49.I buy from Midway,Midsouth,Grafs and Natchez most of the time Midway has more of the items in stock that I need.They have treated me fine for thirty years and till they do something different I will continue to buy from them
Old January 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #61
Sport45

Quote:
I randomly picked one item: RCBS .357 Carbide Sizer Die

Midway: $42.49, dealer price. UPS Ground, $15.17 from MO (Total = $57.66)
Natchez: $31.99, retail price. UPS Ground, $17.99 from TN (Total = $49.98)
Midsouth: $33.96, retail price. UPS Ground, $10.22 from TN (Total = $44.18)

Heck, for $45 Sinclair will sell me the whole carbide set.

This was one RANDOM item. I picked it because I have a .357 set and use it often. I had no idea what the costs would be ahead of time but I buy a lot of shooting supplies and never use Midway anymore because their prices are REGULARLY so high. I could do this all day long.
Bad example.

Looking at the cost of shipping when buying one item really doesn't say much. If you only need one thing you're probably better off going to the local store or using Graf's with their flat rate shipping. When I buy supplies it's typically at least a dozen items and if possible it will be a combined order for two or three of us. I'll load the shopping cart with the same items at Midway, Graf's, Widener's, Natchezss, etc. and place the order with the outfit that has everything in stock and the best overall price. The orders go to Midway about as often as they go to others.

Large orders are the only way to reduce the significance of the shipping cost.

BTW, I can't imagine why I'd ever want to buy a RCBS carbide sizer die by itself, but at Graf's it would have been $42.94 delivered to a retail shopper.

It also pays to keep track of the coupons and specials offered by the sellers. Of course, dealer prices with the C&R license help a lot too.
Old January 29, 2012, 07:27 AM   #62
Guybo

I've ordered lots of stuff from Midway over the years as they are my main supplier and i can only recall one instance where something went wrong. They were very quick to respond to the issue and took care of the problem with no questions asked. Hope you get your's worked out.
Old January 29, 2012, 02:02 PM   #63
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Before this thread gets more heated than the last few posts have been...

Closed.

Now I suggest that some of you take a step back, breath, relax, and get back to civil discourse.
Closed Thread