The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Black Powder firearm as photo prop - WW I - take a look

I know this is a blackpowder forum but am posting this here as some of you might enjoy it. I collect old images with a particular interest in World War I. Dating back to the Civil War, weapons were often used as photo props when a soldier had his picture taken. I've seen a number of Civil War tintypes with a soldier holding a flintlock rifle, etc. that were obvious photographer's props. I added this to my collection a couple of years ago and ran across it last night while I was looking for a specific image.

The boys of '17 were off to fight a war like none other that our country had seen. Many of these young men had grandfathers that had been in the Civil War - for Hawg - I'll rephrase that - "The War Of Northern Agression". I have several images where "props" were used and if I'm not mistaken, the pistol this young "doughboy" is holding is a 59 Remington - it looks like it doesn't have a loading lever - possibly a conversion? Take a look and see what you think.

I have two images of two different soldiers (WW I) - both in the same sitting position and by the same photographer and they are holding what looks like a 1840 heavy "old wrist breaker" sabre. If nothing else, the props gave the impression that the subject was "fearless and brave".

Just thought I'd share. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington Pistol Prop.jpg (30.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Remington Pistol Prop - Copy.jpg (39.1 KB, 114 views)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 25, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

Yeah, that's an 1858 (or 1863) Remington cartridge conversion alright.