The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Tex S

RCBS Flash Hole Deburring Tool

I bought one of these from Midway, but the item I received was not like the one pictured. Upon doing a little research, I found out that RCBS has changed their design on this tool. Has anybody used one? Do they work ok? How do I go about setting this tool up? I'm afraid that if I don't get it adjusted properly I will mess up some of my cases.
Old January 6, 2009, 05:00 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

not the rcbs tool, but lyman. be careful not to take too much brass off. it is done mostly by feel, even though the lyman tool has an adjustable stop so you don't take too much brass and just the burr from the factory punch. you pretty much just want to knock off that burr. use a flash light to make sure you aren't taking too much off.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 6, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Tex S

Forgot to mention I will be using the tool in a RCBS Trim Mate case prep center...
Old January 6, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
onehitwonder

i'v used them and they work fine. and I just got my trim mate pro and have not had time to use it but my system is to set the collet just so that the shell rests on the deburing tool. try it. you can tell how much your removing by looking at the amount of shavings you have. as far as I know your the object is not to remove a large amount just enough to trim the edge.