The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 4, 2012, 02:47 AM   #26
Sixer

A well built holster has no need for a retention strap. Unless, it's required for an LEO or similar... I will almost always advise against adding any kind of straps for retention.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:51 AM   #27
philobeddoe

thankfully this fella had a retention strap,
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=687288
Old December 4, 2012, 03:27 AM   #28
MLeake

Sixer, I don't typically use retention straps.

However, I do typically use form-fitted holsters, such as those by Sam Andrews (andrewsleather.com) and Cerise Wilson (soterialeather.com). Of course, I know and like both of them, but they also make very good holsters, that retain well without straps.

Having checked out your site, I will probably try one of yours, soon.

Regards,

M
Old December 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #29
rayban

Do holsters absolutely need retention straps?

Mine does...I carry a 642 OWB and I prefer the pouch to be form fitted but not tight...it will never pass the "upside-down n shake" test.....so I use a retention strap...and I like it.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Skadoosh

Mleake wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever seen how hard people can fall when sucker punched?
Yes, I have. And none of them were in any condition to prevent the mugger from removing or unstrapping a gun from their holster while they were on the floor and dazed...

For non-LE, a properly formed and well built holster doesn't need a strap.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:14 AM   #31
barstoolguru

Quote:
.when I am drinking I had some nasty falls; sure hate to lose my gun then...
Quote:
Although you are likely joking; here in Michigan, drinking/being intoxicated while armed is unlawful.
yes I was kidding and its never a good idea to drink and handle a gun. it might be illegal to do it in public but not in your own home (just saying)
Old December 4, 2012, 12:26 PM   #32
dahermit

Quote:
To which I answer: Why do you carry at all, then?

If you carry because you just feel like it, then fine. You have that right. It's great to be an American, and I mean that.

But if you carry in order to be able to protect yourself, why do you do that, if you are so careful and safe?

Is it, perhaps, because criminals can find us even in nice neighborhoods? If that is the case, then is it not also possible that the first time you become aware of the criminal's intentions, he may have already attacked you?

We'd all like to think that we are more aware than that, 24/7. Most people aren't as aware as they'd like to think.

So, once again, you might want to consider that you could take nasty falls, etc, as a result of the actions of others.
I always carry when I leave home, or outside on my "estate" (five and one-half acres in the country). However, my carry method when leaving my estate is always pocket carry, which of course does not have a strap. My "life-style" is that of an older "hermit". I very rarely leave home, and then only when I have to... groceries, doctor visits. If I were younger and interacted with people (other people are the threat after all) more, I might consider IWB or on the belt carry. At this stage in a hermit's life, in the pocket (I wear suspenders, never a belt),makes more sense to me. The "fall" I might take would likely be the result of infirmity, not aggressive action. With my pocket gun, however, I am always prepared for human aggressive action. The amount of time I am in contact with people is infrequent enough that I can remain on high-alert the whole time. Another aspect of my carrying that is likely unique to my stubbornness and a general lack of fear of death (going to die in a few years anyway), is that I will not surrender my money, no matter how little, or my vehicle to a hijacker. I will risk death to put up a fight even if it is contrary to the general advice given, that "...it is not worth loosing your life over...". In my stage of life, that advice has less meaning than for a younger person. No one gets my 3.50 cash, or my vehicle without me using my "little friend".
Therefore, using or not using a safety strap is not related to my carrying; it is more academic. I am making holsters as a hobby, and was curious as to the actual need for a safety strap as opposed to the perception based on emotion rather than reality. At this point it seems to me that a safety strap in most cases for a shooter is the latter.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:34 PM   #33
dahermit

Quote:
Do holsters absolutely need retention straps?

Mine does...I carry a 642 OWB and I prefer the pouch to be form fitted but not tight...it will never pass the "upside-down n shake" test.....so I use a retention strap...and I like it.
That test has always mystified me...I pocket carry. I am too heavy for anyone to pick me up, turn me upside down and shake me. No one has ever done that to me...although I am sure that is a frequent occurrence; other wise there would not be so many people concerned with that test.

My holsters do not need retention straps...If I should fall down and the gun drop out, I would just pick it up and put it back in my pocket holster. Which is a Bianchi, very inexpensive, only about 20 bucks, but an excellent rough-out, stiff leather pocket holster. One of the few real bargains in holsters I have seen.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #34
Sixer

Quote:
Sixer, I don't typically use retention straps.

However, I do typically use form-fitted holsters, such as those by Sam Andrews (andrewsleather.com) and Cerise Wilson (soterialeather.com). Of course, I know and like both of them, but they also make very good holsters, that retain well without straps.

Having checked out your site, I will probably try one of yours, soon.
Looking forward to it! Excellent retention is something that every holster I put my stamp on MUST have.

Just as an example... here are a few pics with a couple of fairly heavy guns.

HK P7

Baby Desert Eagle

These aren't going to be unholstered unless you intend to draw

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:52 PM   #35
dahermit

Sixer, I looked at some of the holsters on your site and find that your designs are rather intriguing. Nice stuff!
Old December 5, 2012, 02:11 AM   #36
MLeake

Sixer, the fact you already make a P7 holster may come in very handy, indeed...
Old December 5, 2012, 08:42 PM   #37
ltc444

The holster I referred to in my earlier post is a de santis. I believe it was called a Scorpion. it is not shown in the current De Santis catalog. I have had it since 1994.

I use it when I am carrying my Springfield factory comp.

My normal carry is a Roy's Original Pancake Holster. When I purchased it Pappy, as we called Roy had me apply a heavy (almost a whole can) coat of saddle soap to the holster. I then inserted my 1911 government model into the holster and let it set for two weeks.

The holster molded to my pistol and the pistol fits like it was factory molded. On non parkerized finishes I would recommend wrapping the pistol in Teflon tape for the two weeks.

I wear the pancake because it does not print and the thumb break is second nature to me.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #38
johnwilliamson062

You can have retention without a retention strap.

In almost very situation I prefer a button or strap type retention system. IWB where I already have clothes in the way neither of those options is great so I often go without. If you are open carrying for whatever reason retention is also a plus. I really like the holster that has what looks like a button strap, but it actually just flips down. People unfamiliar with it will try to unsnap it for plenty of time for you to react.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:36 PM   #39
randyc74

As other holster makers have pointed out. A properly wet-molded and hand boned needs no additional retention.
Randy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldo...2539637?ref=hl