The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
ratdog

Hazmat and shipping fees on components

Could someone give me a primer on how to save money on components? Is it best to buy local? My local store charges quite a bit more then what I'm seeing online. Is it best to get bullets, primer, and powder all at the same place and combine shipping?
Old January 6, 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Cawnc4

Well if you by your primer and powder online then you have to pay the 20 dollar hasmat fee, local dealers have to pay that also when they order, hense the reason that primers and powders are more expensive locally. You should check your local dealers price, if you dont remember them, and compare them to online prices (I mean like unique powder online is 15.95 but at my local store its 22) and hopefully you should be able to save 6ish dollars buying it localy because they will tack on an extra price on both the powder and primer. Now dont know about bullets so someone else will have to post about it.
Old January 6, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
crowbeaner

It depends on what you order, how much you order, where it's coming from, and how much the total weight is. Some places will ship up to 70# boxes, some 48#, and some 42#. If you order 5000 primers at a time, you will save money and most times they can be shipped in the same package as your powder. Check with the seller to see what weight limits there are on the shipping. Powder Valley Inc. is going to get some of my money.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:28 PM   #4
swmike

Think of your order as a collection of "units". Each pound of powder is a unit as it each 1,000 primers. If you order a total of 20 "units" the hazmat fee amounts to $1 per unit. If you save more than $1 per pound of powder and $1 per thousand on primers you are ahead. Freight can be extra or included, depending on the Vendor.

I recently ordered 13# of powder and 5,000 primers from Powder Valley. I saved $2 per pound on the powder and $8 per thousand on primers AFTER allowing for the hazmat fee. The freight was $11 but I would have wasted that on a trip to the only gun dealer that had what I needed in stock.

My total savings (except freight) was over $65 and the stuff is delivered to my door (That saves me even more because I always spend a lot extra when I am in the gun shop).

In short, online shopping for components makes sense if you order enough to spread the hazmat fee around.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old January 6, 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Buy primers and powder online from places like http://PowderValleyInc.com in the largest quantities you can, once you know what you like. When you want to try out a new powder, either buy 1 pound locally, or tack a pound onto your next order of 8-pounders from Powder Valley.

Grafs, Natchez, PatsReloading, and Hi-TechAmmo.com have very good prices on select items occasionally. I bought 16 pounds of surplus #7 last year from Hi-Tech for embarrassingly cheap (I wish I'd bought 32 pounds) but they are out of it now. They are out of *everything* now.

Buy bullets from a local caster, or in bulk from someone who will ship them in USPS flat-rate boxes. (your mail-carrier will hate you)
Old January 6, 2009, 04:56 PM   #6
ShootingNut

Unless you are into ordering online a large order, shop local.
Your local shop, will normally order a BIG order to keep the Hazmat fee down, and hopefully pass along the savings.
Around here, a pound of powder (Titegroup, Accurate) runs 20-25 bucks, with Winchester Primers 24-29 per Thousand.
To each his own, this is what I do.
I only use lead bullets for target shooting, buy quality.
Best regards,
SN