The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 21, 2004, 09:24 AM   #1
miker-1

frankenstein rifle.

I hope someone can help. yesterday at a gun show,I bought a t/c "hawkin" --'renegade" rifle. It is in 54 cal. beautiful walnut stock,polished blue,dual triggers,flint lock, no brass on it, everything is black steel. no patch box.I looked through the tc litrature, there was no rifle like it. It seems to be some renagade model,and hawkin model. I tried to email t.c. but the mail kept getting kicked back. This rifle looks brand new. I hope someone can tell me what I have. thanks michael
Old November 21, 2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Dave Markowitz

T/C's "Hawken" model has always has brass furniture and a cap box or patch box on the butt. Their "Renegade," which is no longer made, had steel furniture and no cap box/patch box on the butt.

Can you post a pic?
Old November 21, 2004, 08:29 PM   #3
gundog98k

Don't have their catalog in front of me but it might be a "Pennsylvania Hunter".
Old November 21, 2004, 08:47 PM   #4
Gun_BUFF

Michael:

What you have IS a Thompson Center Renegade. Not sure when they quit making them, I got mine in the 70's when I was in collage. It was a practical, lower cost alternative to the Hawken Rifle then being sold by T/C. The main differences were a slightly shorter barrel, shotgun style buttplate, .54 cal vice .50 for the hawken, and blue vs brass furnature. Mine shoots better than I can, and will digest any reasonable load. Best accuracy is with a T/C Maxi-Ball and about 80 gr. of Pyrodex RS. Recoil is very tolerable, thanks tothe shotgun style buttplate. Sounds like youve got a winner.

Paul