The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 20, 2001, 06:46 PM   #1
exilefromhell

Scenerio

You are in your living room and are watching a movie w/the family. You have had one or two alcoholic drinks at this point. A BG busts in...what do you do? Would you still have a firearm on you if you are drinking? Would you second guess shooting someone if you have been drinking? What are the legal concerns that are involved?

Thanks
Old October 20, 2001, 08:00 PM   #2
Jay Baker

"A Bad Guy busts into my home..."

He's bought and paid for, right there, whether or not I've had a couple of drinks. And yes, I ALWAYS have a handgun on me.

(Of course, on the other hand, being politically correct and all that, I suppose I could neutralize the situation by offering him a drink of Scotch and some Brie, and we could negotiate as to whether the teeeveee set were his and the silverware were mine.")

J.B.
Old October 20, 2001, 09:31 PM   #3
exilefromhell

lol!!!!!

but will the cop have anything to say when they arive about you smelling and looking like you downed a few

lol!!!!
Old October 20, 2001, 10:23 PM   #4
garrettwc

I can hear the attorney now. "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, the victim mistakenly walked into the defendant's house, and was shot by the defendant who was under the influence of alcohol"

Would I still shoot yes. Then I call 911 and my attorney, in that order. I tell the arriving officers, he attacked me, I feared for my life, I defended myself, I want to speak to my attorney. Then shut up.

Tell the attorney about the two drinks, and have him ask for a breathalyzer. If you only had a couple of social drinks then the test will prove your blood alcohol content at the time. You have already gone a long way to taking that argument away from the prosecution.

The "my home is my castle" doctrine applies in most cases, and self defense is predicated on what a reasonable person would do. The prosecution will likely argue that the alcohol made you unreasonable. You and your lawyer must prepare for this as part of your defense.

YMMV
Old October 20, 2001, 10:28 PM   #5
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

1. Defend with force, if necessary.
2. Call 911.
3. Drink a quart of water.
4. Await police response.
5. Give shortest statement possible.
Old October 20, 2001, 10:48 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

Spectre,

I agree with you except for #5 Iwould change that to "Say nothing until your lawyer is present."

In general the law is in the homeowners favor in a case like this, but it varies radically from state to state. A good lawyer would argue that you were presented with exigent circumstances in the above scenario. I think that it is generally considered to be "the greater good" that the bad guy eat it vs. a slightly intoxicated citizen and his family being offed.

If you live in the communewealth of Massachusetts or the worst parts of the PRK then you are doomed, and you will probably do time.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 20, 2001, 10:54 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

My idea of a statement is:

I was in fear for my life. I'm really shook up, so I'd like to wait until I speak with my lawyer for any further statement.
Old October 20, 2001, 11:42 PM   #8
Fred Hansen

That would work.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 21, 2001, 02:54 AM   #9
Seeker

I reckon the first order of business would be to pull the dogs off the BG. Then restrain BG and apply first aid.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old October 21, 2001, 09:48 AM   #10
LASur5r+P

What they said

I agree with Walther and Spectre said.
Just be ready for the wild roller coaster ride from the civil lawsuit to follow (from the survivors of the perp)

The BG that gets to my house has to get past the dogs, then the alarm or visa versa depending on where the dogs are at the time (inside or outside), oh yes, plus a motion detector alarm on the perimeter of the house, and the outdoor motion detector lights.

Paranoid? Naw, just because I believe they're coming?
Old October 21, 2001, 11:37 AM   #11
exilefromhell

I knew that this scenerio would be popular, because it is more common than not.
Old October 22, 2001, 07:02 AM   #12
Little Buck

BG broke in.
I feared for my life and waxed him.
I was so shook up waiting for you guys (the cops) I had to have a drink.
Old October 22, 2001, 08:08 AM   #13
David Scott

Nobody mistakenly walks into my house, the doors are not left unlocked. Therefore, if he got in, he broke in. Whether I've had a drink or not, under Florida's "castle doctrine", he's fair game.

Also consistent with Florida law, I must use the minimum force necessary to resolve the situation. The scenario says a he's a BG. How do I know? If he waves a weapon and shouts "gimme your money or I'll kill you", he just won a 9mm appendectomy. He's shown both capability and intent of inflicting injury or death.

If, however, he's empty-handed and shouts, "Where's that leaf blower I loaned you, Fred?" I'd have to point out that there are no Freds in the house and we have our own leaf blower, thank you very much. I'd still have him covered, and instruct him to leave or be hauled away by the Sheriff's deputies.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old October 23, 2001, 08:47 PM   #14
Ben Shepherd

When the boys & I get together for a little wing ding at someones house we always have a designated driver/shooter. Everyone else puts the gun up for the night, and plans on spending it at whomevers house we're at. I generally won't drink with people don't know well. The crowd I run with are all gun enthusiasts, so this is our solution when we want to get a little loose(more than a couple of beers). I know it sounds funny but it makes sense if you really give it some thought. (All of us agree that guns and alcohol don't mix, right?)
There have been a couple of occasions when an uninvited individual tried to discuss personal issues with a member of our group during a get-together. It's always nice to have one stone sober person to handle this type of situation. It's never turned into calling the cops, but if it did, I believe that it would be a good idea to have the sober guy there.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor