The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Huh12345

Why I am not a huge ruger 10/22 fan

I want to write about this to see if there is anyone who agrees with me and to hear the opposition for what I am about to say. I owned one ruger 10/22, a standard carbine stainless with black synthetic stock. I eventually added an ok stock to it. The gun functioned fine, it was a bit of a pain to clean, but the deal breaker for me was it felt like a toy. I understand that a .22 lr is relatively a very weak and cheap cartridge to shoot, but there are levels here in my mind. Should it weight and feel like a large .308 rifle? No, probably not, but the 10/22 I owned really felt like a cheap little toy. I own two other 10/22's and do not have the same issue. I'm sure it's possible to upgrade the 10/22 in a way to make it feel like a real rifle, but I have trouble stomaching the price that would likely be. I am not arguing the ability of the 10/22 in terms of accuracy, functionality, or anything in that regard. In that sense it was no issue. My only problem is the toyish feel of it. I'm almost certain there are other models that don't feel this way, this is just how I felt about the standard stainless carbine. Anybody else experience this? Any opposition to my argument? (Again, I understand it is a .22 and doesn't need to be the weight and size of a large centerfire rifles). Also just to make it clear, I'm not saying this because I dislike ruger at all, in fact I just purchased a Mark IV hunter.
Old February 22, 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
jmr40

I'm not a fan of the standard model. But as you say they offer several options that are much better.

One of these will change your mind. It is the LVT model. I don't understand why they aren't more popular. Mine weighs 7.5 lbs scoped, about the same as my center fire big game rifles. They come with a mid-weight target barrel, chamber and trigger and don't cost that much more than the standard model. They are certainly cheaper than buying the standard version and replacing parts. Mine shoots better than my CZ 452.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporte...eets/1234.html

Winston Churchill
Old February 22, 2017, 02:47 PM   #3
MrBorland

I've never been a huge 10/22 fan but will admit it has its place. It's the perfect rifle for an Appleseed clinic and/or rimfire steel matches, for instance.

As far as the toy feel, I'm not generally crazy about it, but suddenly liked my standard 10/22 a whole bunch when I recently had to carry it in my 2 hands during an all-day bunny hunt.
Old February 22, 2017, 03:26 PM   #4
COSteve

I've got 2 Ruger 10/22s I bought new for me and my wife in 1973. They are light, compact, and easy to shoot. Also kinda boring. I've got 4 other 22lr rifles, an old Marlin M60 and old High Standard Pump from the 60s, a Henry H001 levergun from 2010, and a 2013 Browning BL-22 levergun and all are more fun to shoot than the 10/22s. Nothing wrong with them, they are decently accurate enough but they're just sort of blah.
Old February 22, 2017, 03:51 PM   #5
oldscot3

I bought the Rem 597 years ago instead of the 10/22. There's a lot to like about it, ergonomics, accuracy among them, but mine is far from reliable in the feeding department. Its magazines seem to be a major factor in that problem. I've thought often about dumping it and buying a 10/22, but instead I just reach for my Marlin 39A. The 597's status is now permanently as "loaner".
Old February 22, 2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Pahoo

To each; his own !!!

Quote:
Any opposition to my argument?
I don't see any point to argue. You personally do not like the 10/22 and that's your choice. There are many of us that do and that's our choice.
Are there worse choices? ... Sure.
Are there better choices? Sure. ....

I happen to be one that not only likes the older ones but can do more upgrades than any other make. Their performance is excellent and one happens to be my personal "Hunter".

Might also add that I like pan-fried liver, on the rare side and can accept that others don't .......

Enjoy whatever??? and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2017, 04:44 PM   #7
marine6680

Your opinion, and it's valid...

They are light weight in the stripped down versions, with cheap feeling plastic stocks.

But they are reliable and fun to shoot.

I have one that cost $175, and I dropped $250 more into it... a target bull barrel, Boyd's thumb hole target stock, and a trigger upgrade.

Very accurate, and it doesn't feel cheap in the least. I also don't think it ended up costing much more than a target model from Ruger, and less than other quality 22 semis out there... and will be just as accurate or more so than those other rifles.
Old February 22, 2017, 06:30 PM   #8
DaleA

Marine6680--you might have went the smart route. About four years ago I got to fire a Target model 10/22 that was totally stock and I really was not impressed with it's accuracy. Also had I didn't care for the laminate stock that much-too slippery for me. But remember this is just ONE experience. Another Ruger Target 10/22 might be a real tack driver. The target barrel sure made it heavy enough that no one would put the label 'toy' on it.

Like others have said, that's why Baskin-Robbins makes more than one flavor.
Old February 22, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
MurBob

I think I have the same 10/22 as you do... black synthetic stock, stainless barrel...

Mine is an efficiently lethal rabbit killing machine that sits up high on the wall and vibrates whenever there's a rabbit within 100 yards of my fruit tree's or garden veggies.

Its an indestructible, easy to carry, easy to clean, and easy to put away weapon of bunny destruction....

Shhhh.. Be verrrry quiet!

Old February 22, 2017, 07:05 PM   #10
Tacoma

They are what they are. Not overly accurate or exciting by design but generally reliable, inexpensive and well supported by the aftermarket world. ( Kind of the Toyota Corolla of the .22 world.)
My biggest gripe with them is that most folks aren't content to leave them alone. Instead, they "mister potato head" $600 worth of parts into a $200 rifle and expect it to :a) shoot like and Anshutz, b) hold it's value.

That said, I would agree with you that the newer 10/22's have followed the industry trend of being heavily reliant on plastic and sheet metal parts . Often, even the most accurate of these have cheesy plastic or "Popsicle stick" stocks
Personally, this is exactly why I'd rather rescue an old walnut stocked Mossberg, Remington or like bolt gun from the days where quality was built into every rifle.
Old February 22, 2017, 07:08 PM   #11
SHR970

I won't disagree with the OP's position.. like anything else personal preference is personal preference.

I've owned 2 Marlin 60's in the past as well as a Winchester 9422. Personally I liked my stock 10/22 carbine better than all three of these. If you EVER fully disasseble your Marlin 60 be ready for a fun time putting it back together again.

I have 2 10/22's that started life as standard carbines. #1 was Blued on wood; #2 Stainless on Synthetic stock. The factory synthetic stock does feel and sound toyish.

#1 was stock for several years then the mods came in. First it got upgraded to a Fajen laminate stock; later I added a Volquartzen muzzle weighted barrel and trigger to as well a a Burris rimfire scope. I love this one; it has a good heft and solid feel. I've lost count on how many cases of ammo have been through it over the 26 years I've had it.

#2 was bought strictly for modifications. It got a Magnum Reasearch Carbon Fiber wrapped bull barrel, Fajen Legacy adjustable stock, Volquartzen trigger assembly, and Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 ballistic plex scope. I like this one a lot but the synthetic stock transmits an annoying noise into the ear. Otherwise it is a tack driver and is set to fit me like a glove. It is also my lightweight that is very steady.

At some point I'll get another 10/22 and modify it; probably into a bench or bipod gun.
Old February 22, 2017, 08:25 PM   #12
osbornk

You don't know toy like until you feel or see my Mossberg Blaze 47. Other than the steel barrel and wood stock, it is made entirely of polymer. It feels and looks like a toy at under 5 pounds but it is accurate and goes bang every time I pull the trigger with the 25 round magazine. It refuses to malfunction when I pull the trigger as fast as I can. My Marlin 60 and Henry lever action look and feel more like a real gun but the little plastic "toy" is more fun to shoot. i'm an old codger at 69 and I no longer care what anyone else thinks.
Old February 22, 2017, 08:39 PM   #13
lockedcj7

I special ordered a full-stocked international with the walnut stock. I started with a leupold 4x compact scope and then went to tech sights. With a real sling, it looks, feels, and shoots like a real rifle... to me, at least.

I also changed out the trigger and bolt release. Now it's perfect

Last edited by lockedcj7; February 22, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old February 22, 2017, 09:04 PM   #14
Jiggy300

I have standard 10/22 and 2 ruger model 96 in a 22 mag and 22lr. I'm a huge ruger fan and love plinking with them. On the plus side I started my kids out on a marlin single shot 22 and worked there way up to the 10/22, I think the ruger kept them wanting to go plinking more often.
Old February 22, 2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Jiggy300

I forgot, the one issue I do have with the 10/22 is the factory sights, you almost need to upgrade or put a scope on them.
Old February 22, 2017, 09:18 PM   #16
Kvon2

Couldn't agree more. When my friend and I were 19 we went to buy our first rifles and both agreed a .22lr was a good place to start. Every store we went to they told us the 10/22 was pretty much the only sensible option. I finally got to hold a Remington 597 and found the stock and trigger to be a much better fit for me. I remember saying the 10/22 felt like a toy.

I will admit the 10/22 is a great gun and a great value but it just wasn't right for me.
Old February 22, 2017, 09:27 PM   #17
turtlehead

I learned there's a good reason why there is an aftermarket replacement for every part on a 10/22...

Cheaper just to buy a great rifle instead.
Old February 22, 2017, 09:42 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

I like the older models with few plastic parts (pre-1990...ish).

The newer stuff just feels junky and clunky.
Triggers are terrible and feel like crunching corn flakes.
Mag releases are stiff and nasty.
Fit and finish has been thrown out the window.

That being said...
I'll take a current-production 10-22 over a current-production Marlin Model 60, any day of the week.
The M60s have gone even farther downhill than 10-22s.
Old February 22, 2017, 10:16 PM   #19
Tinbucket

Why I'm not ahugeruger 10/22 fan

I have a stainless barrel laminated stock 10-.22 and a walnut stocked 10-.22magnum several years old, rally both are now over 5 years old.
The stocks are thick and clunky and the trigger group/action is loose from the receiver and the whole barreled action is loose in the stock.
The best ones I have seen were made in the fifties by Remington, Winchester and a host of companies that were bought out.
Onee in a while I stumble across a great example but without the money.
I have been saving with intentions of a couple of the best examples of 22 autos and a Springfield bolt .22 with the long barrel,and peep sight, plus some others. Time is getting away and won't be able to enjoy them much longer.
Old February 23, 2017, 03:36 PM   #20
DaleA

Quote:
I learned there's a good reason why there is an aftermarket replacement for every part on a 10/22...
Now that's just funny!
Old February 23, 2017, 06:16 PM   #21
pete2

I have 3 10/22 rifles. One has an aftermarket stock and heavy bbl, 4 to 12 scope, nothing lightweight about it and it's a real shooter. The other 2 are standard carbines but I did add Walnut carbine stocks, one from a gun show one off ebay. They are both small lightweight guns, heavier than the plastic ones tho. I added peep sights on one, a red dot on the other, soon to have a Leupold 2-7 on it, I think. DIY trigger jobs and bolt releases and both are good to go. All 3 are fun guns. The 2 std ones are good to go for CMP sporter matches, I set the triggers at 3-1/2#.. Just today i ordered a CZ American bolt .22, it weighs about 5-1/2 #, so it'll go 6-1/2 or 7 with a scope, should be about right.
Life is good.
Old February 23, 2017, 08:58 PM   #22
Mobuck

Do you own a 22 to look at and fondle or to use?
Old February 24, 2017, 01:05 AM   #23
Huh12345

I don't think I could have been more clear that I was in fact not arguing the functionality of the gun...
Old February 24, 2017, 07:42 AM   #24
amd6547

I wasn't looking for a 10/22...I was actually thinking of an HK MP5-22. Then I found an armslist ad for an older 10/22, LNIB.
Turned out to have been made in 1967, complete with box, manual, and Sears price tag(59.99).
It has a walnut stock made by Overton, and all metal construction. It was missing the early style magazine (if you have one, I want it).
I put a low cost Barska 4x scope on it, and went to the range.
Once sighted in, it repeatedly shot 10rd dime-sized groups at 80yds.

There are a lot of those old 10/22's out there. I see them at the gun show some times.
If you have a desire for a 10/22, look for one of these older walnut stocked carbines...you won't be disappointed.
Old February 24, 2017, 07:46 AM   #25
Mobuck

I don't think I could have been more clear that I was in fact not arguing the functionality of the gun..

My only problem is the toyish feel of it.

And you didn't notice this before purchasing? Maybe I'm confused but things like that would seem apparent at the outset.

I could list a whole string of reasons why I don't like a Marlin 60 and I'm darned sure not going to buy one and THEN list the reasons I don't like it.