The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 5, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1
joey253

Windham Weaponry review!

Hello, I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry flat top AR. Here is a small review for anyone interested. I have shot about 1000 rounds in a few weeks. I am an LEO also and it is my patrol rifle. I have my rifle set up with a nikon prostaff 2-7x32 scope but I also have a set of LMT irons. The rifle is solid and very well built. I have not had a problem to speak of. It seems to feed any ammo I throw at it. It breaks down nicely and seems to be made of high quality. I paid 750 for the rifle with one mag, sling and a plastic case. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I plan on getting a new trigger for it. I just want a lighter one about 4 pounds. The stock trigger is ok and has a clean brake to it. Also I shot about 500 rounds yesterday and didn't clean it until after I went home. I would recommend a Windham to anyone if they asked me.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:57 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

It's good to hear range reports on these. I looked at a Windham at a local store. Fit and finish was just like the old Bushmaster of years ago, but with a slightly better trigger feel.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3
joey253

I tried to locate reviews and range reports on them and there are very few.
Old March 9, 2012, 02:02 AM   #4
joey253

I did some more shooting with the rifle. I shot around 500 rounds this time out. I dumped 120 rounds through it as fast as i could and it ran like a champ. Also WW sells parts and other items on their website if you need any.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
precision_shooter

Quote:
It's good to hear range reports on these. I looked at a Windham at a local store. Fit and finish was just like the old Bushmaster of years ago, but with a slightly better trigger feel.
Good reason for that...(as I have heard it) The gentleman that originally started Bushmaster left not too long ago as he didn't like how Cerberus was managing things, especially QC issues. He started his own company again as Wyndham Weaponry...

So, if what I have heard is true, then Wyndham Weaponry is for all intents and purposes, the Bushmaster of old...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 9, 2012, 10:03 AM   #6
CTS

Quote:
Good reason for that...(as I have heard it) The gentleman that originally started Bushmaster left not too long ago as he didn't like how Cerberus was managing things, especially QC issues. He started his own company again as Wyndham Weaponry...
That would seem to be correct. I had heard that Windam Weaponry was a new company that had bought out Bushmaster's old facility when they moved operations. I didn't know it was being run by the same people as before the buy out. Thanks for posting.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...dham-weaponry/
Old March 9, 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
94bluerat

We have been selling these where I work.

Very nicely finished, top level build. I think there is a lot of pride from the workforce going into these guns.

Value is excellent.

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old March 14, 2012, 08:21 PM   #8
dtom-1776-

widham AR.

I did alot of shopping and debating, then more shopping and debating...and ultimately landed on the Windham Weaponry MPC. You just cant beat it for the price. You've got BETTER (yes, i said better) fit and finish than the old Bushmasters, you've got parts that are tested to milspec (4150 steel, HPT, MPI tested) and chrome lined barrels are standard. i put around 350 rounds through it yesterday and it functioned flawlessly. It ate brass cased and cheap steel cased ammo with no problem, and with a few turns of the windage/elevation dials on my xps3-2 EOtech, i was chewing the bullseye out of targets at 50-150 yards (I didnt however manage to get my Daniel Defense backup sights zeroed, apparently those rounds were landing on mars or something). To be fair, i did replace my stock trigger with a Rock River 2 stage NM, but the stock one wasn't terrible. this rifle shoots as well as some of the Larue and YHMs I've fired (don't get me wrong, if you have the money, get a Larue - but you get my point) I think the people at Windham are producing an exceptional quality rifle just to give the finger to Bushmaster and Cerberus, and rightfully so, the reopening of that plant is about as American of a success story as you can get. I like that. so in short, I've put alot of rounds through ARs, both in the military and out, and these Windhams are a hell of a bargain for the money. If you want a decent bare bones AR, or want a great platform to build a project rifle, there you go...Windham Weaponry.
Old March 14, 2012, 09:47 PM   #9
CDW4ME

I bought a Windham SRC flat top at a gunshow this past weekend.
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopc...sp?type=Rifles
A "local" dealer at the gunshow had the rifle for $827 plus tax.
I subsequently saw it at Wal-Mart for $800 + tax, oh well.
So far, I've shot about 100 trouble free rounds.
The trigger is better than the one on my DD.
Bolt appears to be properly staked to my novice eye.

Tags
ar 15 , review , weaponry , windham