The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2007, 04:34 PM   #1
ShootingNut

OAL for .40SW

I find the maximum OAL for a 155 Gr. SWC at 1.130" and minimum at
1.095". In order to get proper feeding in a Beretta PX4, with the bullet seated to a OAL of 1.105 this seats the bullet about level with the top
"landing" (if that's the proper description) on the lead bullet. In other words,
what's left protruding from the case is the start of the slope of the lead nose.
Anybody who loads a 155 gr SWC in .40 see a problem with this? The lead SWC is over 6.8 to 7.0 gr of Titegroup powder, with 6.8 being the prescribed
"start" load for this grain bullet.
Old July 15, 2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Don't have the .40, but the spot on the bullet you are referring to, where it stops being the full groove-filling diameter is called the shoulder. At the bottom end it is called the heel, though only a bevel base or a boattail normally continue much below the heel.

What you are describing is pretty normal in light .45 ACP target loads. The only concern is that you don't have any lead left to bite with a taper crimp, leaving the bullet vulnerable to being pushed down into the case when the magazine housing recoils back against it.

Also, check that the base of the bullet is not inserted any deeper into the case than the bullet that load was originally recommended for sticks into it. In short straight cases, pressure rises rapidly as bullets seat deeper in.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 15, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Uncle

Thanks, I didn't crimp as I usually do, for fear that IF the casing was just a tad above that point, it may tend to roll it to far into the "shoulder". So, without any crimp I believe we are O.K. to fire these. Next time though, I'm going to extend the OAL at least to 1.115" then do my normal Lee crimp.
Thanks as always!