The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 24, 2017, 08:13 PM   #1
bjones870

AR PIN FURY

So I have a Spikes tactical lower, with a PSA lower parts kit, I assemelbed it fine. No problems. The front pin WILL NOT come out so I can put the upper on the lower. It won't budge. I've tried a hammer and punch, pushing with everything I got. All of it. What can I do? Ever had this problem before?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old February 24, 2017, 08:25 PM   #2
rickyrick

I got the detent in backwards once, same symptoms.

I also got a pin that wasn't rounded enough to work properly, same symptoms.
Front detent is a pain to get out, but I fished a sewing needle in enough to get it back out on both of them.

Try tapping with a small rubber mallet, that works on a sticky detent sometimes.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Mobuck

After a few instances of such difficulties, I began cleaning the spring/detent recess with a proper sized drill bit turned by fingers only and lube the hole, spring, and detent with a drop of CLP as I assemble the parts. Works wonders and less chance of what you've described.
At this point, all you can do is put a few drops of lube in the weep hole of the detent recess and let some run down the pivot pin toward the detent.
Be advised that pounding on the pivot pin w/o good support under the opposite side of the lower may result in breaking a chunk out.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:37 PM   #4
rickyrick

Yes, I only meant a light tap, I have one lower that still sticks at times. No more than a light tap with a jewelers mallet is all it take on that one.
Old February 24, 2017, 10:46 PM   #5
Mobuck

Using a nylon or delrin punch and 4 ounce hammer with a piece of pine 2x4 under the opposite side for support, you should be able to move the pin. I have several pins that are stubborn enough that I can't move them w/o using a nylon punch.
Old February 24, 2017, 10:53 PM   #6
rickyrick

I've seen pictures where someone pounded the pin too hard and broke the little channel out where the detent lives. But I can't find the pictures now.
Old February 24, 2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Ibmikey

This is one of those cases where any advise given could result in a broken receiver. The detents specs are for the same taper at both ends but things have been known to be wrong, i would suspect the channel in the pivot pin has a burr or was machined incorrectly.
Mobuck has the best procedure but you still run the risk of damage, pressing the pin out would be better than a bigger hammer. Perhaps by using your drill press with a drift in the jaws you could press the pin out ( most home shops do not have an arbor press).
OP: report your success here so we can bask in our expertise, i have handed out many tips on forums and the result is often kept a secret........maybe silence should give me a message?
Old February 25, 2017, 02:53 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I had a pivot pin get stuck in a lower a couple years ago.
I could not, for the life of me, get that thing to move, no matter how much finesse I threw at it.
Luckily, I was testing after assembly, and there was no upper receiver to complicate matters.

Eventually, I managed to snake a narrow shim into the detent channel between the lugs of the receiver, and wiggled and rotated the pivot pin back and forth until I got the shim under the detent pin. More finesse, rotating, and wiggling eventually got me 'over the hump' and the pin released (whereupon it was promptly inspected and an inconspicuous burr removed).
Old February 25, 2017, 03:00 PM   #9
rickyrick

Frankenmauser explained the method I used for pins that wouldn't budge, except I used sewing needles, not easy, but will prevent damage.

If it does release, remove it and fix it.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:02 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
a Spikes tactical lower,
Did you assemble the takedown pin in the receiver, or did it come already assembled? If it did, I'd be contacting the maker.

Yes, you CAN fix it, but they SHOULD.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:04 PM   #11
jaytothekizzay

Sounds like you put the detent in backwards for sure

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old February 27, 2017, 05:34 AM   #12
Ibmikey

Once again, unless machined incorrecly which i'm sure occasionally happens, the detent for piviot and take down pins is the same on both ends there is no "backwards" to them.
Hopefully the OP will report success or continued failure on this forum soon.
Old February 27, 2017, 08:51 AM   #13
rickyrick

Some do have a flat bottom, I for sure encountered one. May be a manufacturing error but they are out there.
Old February 27, 2017, 01:06 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Aye.
The majority of detent pins today are double-ended; but I've run across some that are still directional, in the last 2-3 years. (Probably have one or two in my parts boxes.)
Old February 27, 2017, 01:29 PM   #15
rickyrick

It is very much worth the nano second it takes to look at one before putting it in for sure.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:37 PM   #16
Ibmikey

Ricky, There are three or four pins in my Gun room that went "boing" over the years come help me find them and we will compare with those in the parts bin.. I agree some may not be correct and the "nano " advise seems wise.