The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1
M109

Vv N110

I have been looking at this powder for the 44 mag and 240 gr jacketed bullets. I was wondering if anyone is using it and does it work best with magnun primers or standard. I know that h110/296 works best at full pressure loads and wanted to know if this is the same way and if it varys with temperature. Thanks.
Old July 7, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

With about any stick powder you don't really need a magnum primer unless the case is very big. The ball powders are a lot harder to light, so they do. You won't have the full-house load sensitivity issue for the same reason, but don't load this stuff down to plinking levels, either. That's what a case full of Trail Boss is for. The main thing you will run into running VV N110 in the .44 Mag is that you have to use a 105% compressed load of about 20.9 grains just to get within 50 fps of the velocity performance you'll get from a standard load of H110. It has less bulk and energy density, both. On the other hand, you will have about 15% less pressure, too.

VV powders are very good. Temperature dependency is complicated and in turn depends somewhat on case geometry. Varget, for example, gives exceptional temperature stability in .308 and .30-06, but doesn't do as well in the .223. I don't know why? I have no temperature stability numbers for the .44 mag, probably just because pistol round accuracy isn't as well documented as rifle accuracy. At its best, it isn't generally as good or as critical as rifle loads. You might try working up loads both with and without magnum primers. See which is more accurate? Test them again when it is very cold to see if you need the magnum primer then?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle