The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 13, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1
rnovi

Revo's in IPSC & IDPA

Well, I shoot revolvers mainly because I hate chasing my brass (for reloading). At some point or another I actually have become somewhat proficient in shooting my Revo's in DAO mode (it took some 10k rounds...), proficient enough to think "Hmmmm, maybe I should try to get involved with IPSC & IDPA". I'm leaning towards IPSC - it just seems more, well, fun...

My revo's: 6" GP100 with a HoloSight on it and a 4" S&W 625JM with basic Hogue rubber grips.

So, onto my questions:

1. could I enter IPSC or IDPA with the 6" GP100? I don't think IDPA would allow it (due to being 6" and also with the HoloSight). But would IPSC allow it?

2. IF I could use the 6" GP100, does anyone make a holster for this that's IPSC qualifiable? I know Safariland makes a holster with cutouts for e-Sights but I can only find it for a 4" revo...do they make such a thing for a 6"?

3. How many speedloaders required for a stage? I have some 50+ moonclips for the 625 so I'm not worried there. On the GP100, I have 3x of the Safariland C3's and 4x of the HKS speedloaders.

4. Most important: what classes would each of the revo's compete in? The 625 seems to be well defined, but I can't figure out if the 6" GP100 would work.

I'd rather compete with the GP100 than the 625, but really, it's not that big of a deal. My eye's just plain like the HoloSight a lot more than the 625's standard sights!

(PS: I also have an XD 9mm, a Colt Gold Cup National Match, and a cheapo Thompson 1911 I've had for 20 years that just refuses to die...I just plain like shooting revo's is all.)

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old March 13, 2006, 07:47 PM   #2
HSMITH

Go for it. IDPA will poo-poo the optical sight and the 6" barrel even if you just want to shoot for fun but IPSC will welcome you with open arms. You will automatically be put in open class, but that isn't a big deal unless you want to win.

The 625 is IDPA and IPSC legal, holster requirements are vastly different but IDPA holsters will work fine in IPSC. The 625 is probably used in 95% or more of the wins in both IDPA and IPSC from what I have seen.

Take a look at Speed Sec and CR Speed for revolver holsters that work with optical sights. www.shootersconnection.com handles both brands.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Jim Watson

As HSMITH says, your GP will enter USPSA Open Divison because of the optical sight... along with the 28 shot compensated .38 Supers. Do you care? If not, fine. You will want a 158 grain bullet at least 1050 fps to make Major Power Factor for top scoring of hits.
Get some more speedloaders, all the same brand and style. Safariland C III is good. Use the HKS for loading the gun to start the stage at most. Better to discard or swap them off. You do NOT need to be trying to figure out whether to load with a push or a twist with the timer running. Push is faster.

The 625 with 230 RN at 720+ fps will make Major Power Factor and will get you into USPSA Revolver Division and IDPA Enhanced Service Revolver both, where it is THE preferred gun.

IPSC stages can run thirty or forty shots, you need a LOT of speedloaders or clips and the carriers for them. A IPSC revolver shooter usually looks like he has ammo all the way around his belt, at least where he can reach it readily.

IDPA stages are limited to 18 scored hits and you may only carry three loads on your belt; with what you start with in the gun, 24 rounds to get up to 18 hits.
Old March 14, 2006, 03:30 PM   #4
bdcc11

I never enjoyed shooting revolver in IDPA but IPSC is fun. I like shooting in ICORE more than IPSC because it is for revolvers. Everything is designed around revolvers and accuracy is more important since the penalties are higher than IPSC or IDPA. There is no major or minor power factor just one minimum power factor. There is stock and open. The fun part is you don't have to be really good to shoot at the Internationals and you get to see Jerry Miculik at the shoot offs.