The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 18, 2018, 10:50 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Ruger PC carbine or 9mm AR?

I'm not all that up on the AR pistol caliber carbines, but I've been into the Ruger PC carbine simply because of its magazine well adapters. I can see the pros/cons to both systems, but I'd like to hear from others which of these two platforms is better.

The real interest for me in 9mm carbines is the ability to slap a brace on a pistol and shoot them off the shoulder, thus I am VERY interested in an AR pistol in 9mm simply because 9mm uppers with 7 inch or 10 inch barrels are available now. The Ruger... not so much and if Ruger ever does come out with a PC pistol, who knows if they're going to make it so that one can mount an AR buffer tube on it for a brace.

That aside, between the Ruger PC carbine an an AR carbine in 9mm, which do you think is a better use of one's mostly hard earned money?
Old February 18, 2018, 11:00 PM   #2
marine6680

Depends on weight and what barrel length you want.

There are 9mm ARs that take Glock mags. And from respectable manufacturers as well.

If you want a compact package, the AR is a good idea.

If you want a longer barrel to get the most velocity you can, while also being able to pack away in a small space... Then the Ruger, with its take down feature, may be a good choice.
Old February 18, 2018, 11:29 PM   #3
weblance

Pistol caliber carbines are blowback operated. They run dirty. Real dirty. They have to be easy to field strip, or they lose the fun factor every time you have to clean them. Nothing is easier to clean than an AR.

Make sure whatever you buy comes apart easily, and without tools, and that isn't the Ruger

I have a 9mm CMMG MK9 carbine, a CMMG MK9 PDW pistol, a 9mm Just Right Carbine, and a 9mm Sub2000. The ARs are my favorites
Old February 18, 2018, 11:55 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Depends on weight and what barrel length you want.

There are 9mm ARs that take Glock mags. And from respectable manufacturers as well.

If you want a compact package, the AR is a good idea.

If you want a longer barrel to get the most velocity you can, while also being able to pack away in a small space... Then the Ruger, with its take down feature, may be a good choice.
Glock mag compatibility is the big selling point to me.

I've looked at the ballistics, 10 inch barrels in 9mm don't lose all that much velocity compared to 16 inch barrels; about 30 fps loss on average with standard pressure. To me 30 fps loss from a 6 inch shorter barrel is worth the trade.

So for small size, it does sound like the AR is a good idea for me.
Old February 19, 2018, 03:23 PM   #5
weblance

TruthTellers... it sounds like you have decided on an AR type 9mm pistol. Here is some advice. There are two magazine styles, and those two styles are not interchangeable. Glock, and Colt. Colt released a 9mm Sub gun on the AR-15 platform in the 1980s. When you see references to the "Colt Pattern" thats what people are talking about. Both my CMMGs are Colt pattern. The Colt Pattern has an advantage over the Glock type. The Colt pattern has a Last Round Bolt Hold Open feature. The Glock does not. That makes a big difference to me. I do have two other 9mm carbines, and neither have the LRBHO. I really wish they did. A few of the Glock lowers now do have a LRBHO, but almost all of them do not.

Many people are swayed to the Glock style because they feel magazines are easy to come by. That is true. I ordered my Colt Style magazines from several online sources, and have never had an issue finding them. There are several makers of the Colt magazines. Metalform, ASC and C Products all make the Colt magazines. I have a bunch of the 32 round mags, and they cost around $20 each, and are cheaper than the Glock 33 round mags.
Old February 19, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Yeah, the reason why I've gone from a passive interest in a 9mm AR to very interested is because I may be getting a job at a company that makes AR barrels and uppers... which possibly I'll get an employee discount on.

I still like the Ruger platform, especially if they ever make 10mm PC carbines, but for 9mm, I see a 7 to 10 inch barrel AR being superior because all I'll ever likely use is Glock magazines.
Old February 19, 2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
The Colt pattern has a Last Round Bolt Hold Open feature. The Glock does not.
It is possible to get a Glock pattern 9mm AR with a last round bolt hold-open feature.

I own one from PSA.
Old February 19, 2018, 05:05 PM   #8
TruthTellers

What are the sale prices that both stripped and complete Glock AR lowers usually sell for?
Old February 21, 2018, 09:38 AM   #9
chris in va

A third option would be the Beretta CX4 carbine.

Quote:
Nothing is easier to clean than an AR.
Having owned a CX4 a few years, I’d beg to differ on that statement. The whole thing disassembles in about ten seconds and controls can be flipped to the other side. Can be had with Beretta 92 mags like mine.
Old February 21, 2018, 12:00 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Get the Ruger.
I'll be more reliable, more compact, and backed by Ruger.

Bespoke designs (PC Carbine) are almost universally better than adaptations (9mm AR).
Old February 21, 2018, 01:48 PM   #11
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Get the Ruger.
It'll be more reliable, more compact, and backed by Ruger.
More reliable than what? A 9mm AR? Hardly. I have several thousand rounds thru my CMMG MK9 carbine, and NEVER a failure. Your going to compare that to a carbine that was just released, a completely new design, and has absolutely no proven record? 9mm ARs have been around for more than 30 years, and its a proven design.

Quote:
Bespoke designs (PC Carbine) are almost universally better than adaptations (9mm AR).
How? In what way is a carbine like the Ruger, Kel-Tec, or Just Right Carbine better than a 9mm AR? I have first hand experience with the Kel-Tec, Just Right Carbine, and Colt style 9mm AR. I certainly don't see how the non AR carbines are better...
Old February 21, 2018, 06:52 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
How? In what way is a carbine like the Ruger, Kel-Tec, or Just Right Carbine better than a 9mm AR? I have first hand experience with the Kel-Tec, Just Right Carbine, and Colt style 9mm AR. I certainly don't see how the non AR carbines are better...
You're the kind of guy that likes a Honda 2.4L 4-banger in your '70 Chevelle wagon, or a slant-six in your 2-ton truck, aren't you?
Under-powered, improper, and never designed for the task...
Old February 21, 2018, 08:32 PM   #13
weblance

Thats just dumb
Old February 21, 2018, 09:29 PM   #14
Crankylove

Quote:
which do you think is a better use of one's mostly hard earned money?
You asked for opinions.

You got some.

Quote:
Thats just dumb
That’s your opinion.
Old February 21, 2018, 11:16 PM   #15
Sharkbite

Quote:
Get the Ruger.
I'll be more reliable, more compact, and backed by Ruger.

Bespoke designs (PC Carbine) are almost universally better than adaptations (9mm AR)
Youve never spent any time with a Colt SMG. ATF and a lot of other agencies used Colt SMG’s for years. The ones ive shot ran like sewing machines with better ergos then the MP5’s
Old February 22, 2018, 12:03 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Youve never spent any time with a Colt SMG. ATF and a lot of other agencies used Colt SMG’s for years. The ones ive shot ran like sewing machines with better ergos then the MP5’s
Nope.
I have not.
My time with SMGs* and machine guns* involved the MAC-11, MAC-10, Micro UZI, 9mm STEN, M16A2 (burst and auto), M16A3, M2, GAU-2/A, and some experimental M4 variants.

*I got to play with some of these fun toys before I even hit puberty.

But, what, exactly does a Colt SMG (or any of the above) have to do with a run-of-the-mill semi-auto AR on the civilian market, other than being similar in theory?
Old February 22, 2018, 12:49 AM   #17
TruthTellers

You guys hijacked my nice thread...
Old February 22, 2018, 08:43 AM   #18
9x19

I've owned more than a few 9mm carbines over the years, but when it came time to down-size my accumulation a few years back, I sold the Marlins, Rugers (orig PC9s), Just RIght Carbines, Beretta and Kel-Tec, and kept my Lone Wolf AR-clones.

I have since added a PSA carbne in 9mm as well. All three of mine run on Glock magazines and they run just fine.

If a pistol with brace and Glock mags are your two main shopping points, the AR clone is your best option, In My Opinion.

Good luck, and have fun.