The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 10, 2021, 08:51 AM   #1
ed308

Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

Visited my local Academy store to buy some socks, and a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor followed me home. Anybody got one? You like it? How accurate are they?
Old October 10, 2021, 10:16 AM   #2
stagpanther

Friend of mine has the same rifle and loves it--if that means anything. They have a growing reputation and availability in aftermarket parts for ease of swapping barrels.
Old October 10, 2021, 11:23 AM   #3
ed308

I like the ability to easily switch out a barrel. And like that they are similar to an AR. I’ve always felt more comfortable shooting ARs than a regular bolt rifle. We’ll see how it shoots. Won’t be able to go to a range until mid to late November.
Old October 10, 2021, 12:12 PM   #4
jmr40

I've never shot any of the Precision rifles, but have shot and owned several Predators in various cartridges. They are the same action and barrel. All of the Predators I have experience with have been excellent shooters.

Winston Churchill
Old November 24, 2021, 03:49 AM   #5
ed308

Well made it to the range today to try my Ruger Precision. I shot a bunch of ammo through it in both 3 and 5 shot groups. The rifle is very accurate with H4350 and Hornady ELD Match and Nosler Custom Comp bullets. Easily .75 groups but closer if not for flyers due to my lack of practice for the past two years. I think January was my last trip to a range this year. Going to be fun to work up ammo for this rifle. I switched out the stock to a Magpul PRS. The adjustable stock the rifle was not very comfortable.
Old November 24, 2021, 10:00 PM   #6
zeke

Have one in 6.5 cm and 308. The 6.5 cm is noticeably more accurate and both of them got better accuracy after switching out the muzzle brake (1st version of rifles). The 6.5 cm also likes H4350 and Hdy ELD match bullets

Last edited by zeke; November 25, 2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old November 25, 2021, 12:27 AM   #7
kilotanker22

The two bullets and the powder you mentioned have proven to be the best shooters for me as well. The ELD Match bullet is my favorite bullet. I shoot nice groups and hunt deer and smaller critters with them in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Those Nosler Custom Competition bullets are really, really good shooting bullets. They have shot extremely well in every caliber I have tried them in. Last year, I shot quite a few sub one inch groups at 300 yards.

In my opinion, H-4350 is the best choice for the 6.5 Creedmoor for bullets 130 grains and heavier. Personally I believe it is one of the best all around powders for all standard cartridges requiring powders slower than a 308.

The Ruger rifles are excellent from my experience. I have not owned the RPR but I have owned a number of the American rifle variants. All shot really well.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old November 27, 2021, 05:19 PM   #8
BornFighting88

Good friend of mine has one. Loves it. I got the chance to fire a few mags through it. Just fantastic with no recoil and was able to just put the scope reticle on what I wanted to hit, and just hit after hit after hit. Run that bolt, and don't even have to find the target again. Like a video game, almost.